Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Island 1963....A fishin story
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 02:19 PM
Guadalupe Island 1963....A fishin story

Yes I did this a few years back but there are a bunch of new folks and I can't make it down anymore so this is all I got,we had some fun with before maybe again?

BAITCAST
Fossilized Surf Fisherman

Guadalupe Island 1963.....A fishin story

Long range fishing trips were still in its infancy in the early 60,s A run down to san martin island was a big deal which just off the coast of san quintin.

When I heard of trips to such far away places as Cedros,San Benito and fabled Quadalupe islands I knew I had to go somehow,but making 1.90$ an hour married two kids would be somewhat of a problem.

Two of my friends expressed an interest in going with me while sitting around drinking one day,but they had the same problem no money,as I remember a seven day trip was a whopping 500$ and I had maybe 20$ I could spare,we considered all of our options and decided we couldn,t make it next week but one year from that day ,the summer of 63 we would make it to the promised land Guadalupe island.

The boats back then were mostly 65' or a little longer and not set up for crreature comforts but who gives a damn we,re going fishin,the boat we ened on was the first red rooster a converted coast something or other out of San Diego, it was beautiful just sitting there waiting for us to climb aboard,to this day I remember how excited I was just looking at it.

We took off about midnight with all the gear we owned and could borrow from other friends,very little sleep that night ,had visions of monster tuna ,huge moss-backs,black sea bass as big as cars just waiting for me,I had been planning,working and dreaming of this for a year.

Sitting on bow the next day,we heard the captain talking about the big bluefin they had been taking,people getting spooled by unknown monsters,reels blowing up,which was not to uncommon in those days,sideplates flying off it sounded all to wonderful

We arrived about two am the next morning,everyone was sleeping but me and my budds,we were ready for anything,on the stern we found one guy getting a bait in the water,a bonita 5#or 6#!!!! his rod was a big pool Q with a 9/0 or 10/0 penn reel ,"my god what do you think your going to catch with that outfit" I asked he looked at me and smiled" anything that happens to be down there",before the trip was over he caught a 350# black sea bass,he had been here before.

Dawn broke and we made for the south end, I heard the skipper say they had been getting some big bluefin here,having never taken a bluefin I was nearly overcome with excitment,remembering the pic,s of bluefins over 1000#I had seen,sure enough I heard a couple of reels howling close by,when is it my turn? then it happened a pick up,my first bluefin and he was headed for the tip of Baja doing 40 knots and I was smiling

Bluefin are becoming very scarce around the world and that is a shame for I believe he is the most noble of saltwater fishes,not as exotic as a yellowfin or a roosterfish.nor will he jump and waste his energy like the marlins........but for sheer speed,power,endurance and let us not forget size.

Two more parts guys,we will get into the catching later.
BAITCAST

BAITCAST
v

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-7-2016 at 03:12 PM

Thank you for the story. I have made plenty of trip to "The Lupe".

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-8-2016 at 01:21 PM

standing by
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 6-8-2016 at 04:20 PM

Im going for the first timd this November on the Shogun. I cant wait!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-8-2016 at 04:39 PM

You have to work for your tuna, less so for the White sharks. very cool place. I have 6 wonder fish there." Hook'em, lose them, wonder what they were".

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-28-2021 at 05:21 PM

Nobody going fishing these days? me neither so I thought I would bring back a trip I made to the Lupe........My body just is not up to it any more, just turned 87 a couple of weeks ago :)

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2021 at 05:37 PM

Happy birthday and thank you for your postings on Baja Nomad!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-28-2021 at 07:52 PM

:)
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-28-2021 at 08:20 PM

Nice!!! Can't wait for the sequel(s).

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 6-29-2021 at 08:06 AM

Baitcast,

As the saying goes "There is NO such thing as an out of shape Tuna"

Thanks for the story, brought back lots of fishy adventures memories out of San Diego....

Just back from Costa Rica and got some Yellowfin, Dorado, and of course Sailfish. ( Don't care for Sailfish though )

Those BBQ'd Tuna-belly Tacos , sure were great !

For anyone interested in the early days of fishing Southern Cal and Mexico, "Siempre Manana" a book by Bill Sorenson is at MUST read !

Simply, one of my favorite books ever !

Available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Siempre-Manana-Always-Tomorrow-Englis...

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2021 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Baitcast,

For anyone interested in the early days of fishing Southern Cal and Mexico, "Siempre Manana" a book by Bill Sorenson is at MUST read !

Simply, one of my favorite books ever !

Available on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Siempre-Manana-Always-Tomorrow-Englis...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.