Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: We are going - any advice appreciated
Baja_Itzcoatl

Mood: Venturous

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 01:14 PM
We are going - any advice appreciated

Hello… I plan to drive to Cabo from L.A. at the end of this month. I know it’s going to be HOT but I don’t care if it’s HOT because I’ve been wanting to do this for 10 years now. I’ve been postponing it every year so nothing is going to stop me, I’m going. I have 12 days to do the round trip, I plan to get to Cabo as quickly and safely as possible, just to say I did it. Spending 2 nights in Cabo and then drive back up leisurely to stop at the places I missed on the way down. My goal is just to say I did it. My problem is this... I’m going with 2 beautiful women. The story from February’s carjacking because of the women in the vehicle has me thinking. We are still going, I didn’t mention that incident to them, and luckily in their research they haven’t heard of that story only positive ones. What do you recommend? Should I fatten them up? Dress them in Muslim garb? I’m open for suggestions. I don’t want to raise suspicions since one of the reasons it’s taken me this long is because EVERYONE is afraid to drive down with me! I don’t have a caravan going, so should I just wait until I see one driving and tag along? Is this something people do, or will I be “the weird guy following us”. I was planning on renting a car in TJ and driving the rental down. Is that something people do? Or is a Mexican plated car riskier than a California vehicle? I’ve been reading/lurking this forum so I know the drill… you’re going to send me to search previous threads. NO! Respond here please, because I know then some of you are going to highjack it and start arguing with each other, it’s inevitable and ok. But, this is a real trip so any helpful advice for the three of us is appreciated. :spingrin:

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 01:37 PM

Have FUN!

2 women? Hmmm....

sounds like you need a 4th person to balance it out...I am available :D
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 01:37 PM

Don't drive at night. Take your own car. Be ready to roll with the punches. Let us know how it went.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja_Itzcoatl  
because I know then some of you are going to highjack it and start arguing with each other, it’s inevitable and ok

Arguing? Just don't mention climate change and you're OK.
First time down is the best, wide eyed, it will provide
memories. That checkpoint incident was a abboration, don't
let it deter you. There are many good looking women at
the Cape, but many here perfer the smaller towns, Mulege
Loreto and spend some tome in La Paz. I met a couple in Mulege
in a rental Mex VW, so I assume it can be done, but maybe
not too common to drive the length of the Peninsula in a rental.
You will get many replies, but the first drive is an adventure,
maybe not as it was 30 yrs. ago, but pure fun
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 02:01 PM

Don't drive at night....Only drink COLD beer..enjoy ....

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 02:04 PM

You are overthinking this. That story was the exception, not the rule. God only knows we have plenty of problems with violent crime at home in the US. I'm an early thirties female and feel plenty safe in Baja now, though I was pretty nervous our first trip. The worst I've encountered on that front is a few catcalls. My partner and I have driven the length of the peninsula several times in the past few years. There are plenty of good reasons not to drive at night there in areas you aren't familiar with (mostly livestock in the road). Keep an eye on your valuables, or they may opportunistically wander off.

If you want to caravan, post a topic on the forum looking for one. I would not be pleased to discover some random guy following us closely without an introduction.

Frankly, I would not hesitate to drive down with just another female friend or even by myself, with a little more planning and a few more safety precautions.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 02:19 PM

tons of good looking women travel that road, some of them without male 'protection.' lucky ladies to have you along. just don't be stupid, don't flirt with the military...be polite but not over friendly, nod, don't engage..., don't ever ever ever think of driving at night. don't push daylight. don't forget to fill up. if something doesn't feel right, find safety, generally in numbers. stop at a tienda, fall in with a group of cars, don't move on, don't stop if it doesn't feel right, etc. stay at decent places, don't flash money or jewelry, tell them to leave it behind, just say you'll buy them some :). do not use drugs. do not try to buy drugs. no firearms. no jokes. no staring back at guys drooling. all normal advice anywhere in the world you travel.

as a once upon a time...when I was much younger...attractive woman, I drove that road alone a number of times. lived alone for years on the mainland and in Baja for. still do. feel safer in (most parts) of Mexico than in many parts of the USA.
avoid border cities. avoid late night partying and street wandering in Cabo. avoid deserted beaches. go where you see local families going. local guys are not the only males of the species to be concerned about...tons of lizards of all nationalities in resort areas. with two ladies along, need I say anything to you about avoiding overly friendly women with agendas? hope not.
really, I don't think you have to even mention it to your companions unless they bring some fears/concerns up, or aren't aware of the effect their appearance has on the opposite sex. for pete's sake, no suggestive clothing or inappropriate beachwear where it doesn't belong. short shorts and low low tops aren't needed nor wise in an ac'd car, or by the side of the road if you get in car trouble.
have fun. stay cool. ac ac ac.
rental car plates are distinctive, everyone knows you are a tourist. CA plates...heck, everyone has them. drive your own car and blend right in.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 02:37 PM

My son recently went down with an attractive young blond girl. All the army guys at the military stops wanted to see her but that was about as dangerous as it got. Go have fun!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 03:02 PM

Take your own car, IF it is reliable. There is possibly an advantage, from a personal safety standpoint, with foreign plates as both nationalities may stop to aid you with foreign plates. If Mexican plates, many gringos won't stop.

I doubt you are camping your way down, as beautiful women from California tend to favor beautiful hotel accommodations, when in hot climates. If they are from the LA area, then X 2.

So you need a plan on where to stop each night. What's your plan, dude?

Muslim garb? Just dont let them dress like they are going shopping at the mall. Overt displays of opulence are not a good idea, until they get to Cabo, and then they will be swimming in the same schools and wont be noticed. Cabo has its own inherent dangers, but I am no longer up on those.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 03:15 PM

Troll alert. The Op knows too much while knowing too little.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 04:17 PM

Bigger risk driving through any U.S. city!
Once you cross into Mexico, the stress we often feel unloads!
Baja is the cure for civilization.

My biggest question is why is Cabo the end-all destination? It is the about least "Baja-like" place on the peninsula. More of a Las Vegas is America comparison. Nothing wrong with Cabo (or Las Vegas) but there is just so much more to Baja than that city.

Maybe try to enjoy San Quintin or San Felipe as an introductory stop.

The central desert of northern Baja (Cataviña/Punta Prieta region) is special.

The beautiful bays of San Luis Gonzaga, Los Angeles and Concepción should be seen and not just driven by.

The mission oasis towns of San Ignacio and Mulegé will make you think of the tropics in an exotic story.

Loreto is where California began, in 1697.

La Paz is surely one of the nicest little cities in the world.

Stop for Pitahayas in El Triunfo and mangos in San Bartolo.

[Photos of any of the above upon request]

Have a great time and don't worry, but don't hurry!

[Edited on 6-17-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 04:59 PM

Better to go with an ugly woman....

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

..when I was much younger...attractive woman,

By anyone's measure, your STILL an attractive woman.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 06:36 PM

It takes 20 to 24 hours of driving time to get to Cabo. you can do the math as where to stop. (YMMV)I wouldn't do anything special as to driving with women. My wife and I did many trips to some very remote areas without any problems.
Many here do not like Cabo, if you like it, enjoy it.
I would get out the Cabo bars by 10:00 pm, the bartenders will ply the ladies with drinks. The Bra's in Cabo Wabo are trophies, I think you get the point. I would go into Cabo from the Todos side and leave via the La Paz road (either way is good) so you can see as much as you can.
The women will be fine in shorts and tanks just nothing too provocative.
There's a site hear that rent's cars in TJ that might be able to help you with the car rental.
Go! Have Fun! enjoy all that Baja has to offer.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 07:39 PM

rental cars are the #1 target for thieves - even if unmarked, they smell rentals from miles away
don't leave anything of value in the car, not even the charge cable for the iPhone

Harald Pietschmann
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 07:45 PM

mil gracias, you are too kind...

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  

..when I was much younger...attractive woman,

By anyone's measure, your STILL an attractive woman.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 07:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja_Itzcoatl  
Hello… I plan to drive to Cabo from L.A. at the end of this month. I know it’s going to be HOT but I don’t care if it’s HOT because I’ve been wanting to do this for 10 years now. I’ve been postponing it every year so nothing is going to stop me, I’m going. I have 12 days to do the round trip, I plan to get to Cabo as quickly and safely as possible, just to say I did it. Spending 2 nights in Cabo and then drive back up leisurely to stop at the places I missed on the way down. My goal is just to say I did it. My problem is this... I’m going with 2 beautiful women. The story from February’s carjacking because of the women in the vehicle has me thinking. We are still going, I didn’t mention that incident to them, and luckily in their research they haven’t heard of that story only positive ones. What do you recommend? Should I fatten them up? Dress them in Muslim garb? I’m open for suggestions. I don’t want to raise suspicions since one of the reasons it’s taken me this long is because EVERYONE is afraid to drive down with me! I don’t have a caravan going, so should I just wait until I see one driving and tag along? Is this something people do, or will I be “the weird guy following us”. I was planning on renting a car in TJ and driving the rental down. Is that something people do? Or is a Mexican plated car riskier than a California vehicle? I’ve been reading/lurking this forum so I know the drill… you’re going to send me to search previous threads. NO! Respond here please, because I know then some of you are going to highjack it and start arguing with each other, it’s inevitable and ok. But, this is a real trip so any helpful advice for the three of us is appreciated. :spingrin:

with the exception of area's you you don't want to travel at night, think of it as a road trip to Seattle, but going the other way.
I think your idea is great! :yes:
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 08:07 PM

You better be careful! because once you have done it, you will be trying to figure how I can do this again, and again!! Have a great time!
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Someone finally gets it right, and it's Dennis of all people!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Someone finally gets it right, and it's Dennis of all people!

:lol: and there you have it! from two bajaoldmads that haven't been relevant in decades!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.