Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: We are going - any advice appreciated
Baja_Itzcoatl

Mood: Venturous

rolleyes.gif posted on 6-16-2016 at 08:52 PM

Hahaha no not a troll... but as i'm watching GS get spanked by Cleveland i was waiting for that to come from someone since i don't post often, its ok....Thanks everyone... this makes me feel alot better. The reason i'm driving all the way to Cabo is because thats where Baja ends. I've been going as far as Ensenada since 1988 when i was 16... Dodgers won World Series in '88. I've been reading this forum for a few years now... alot of you are funny when u bicker with each other. But you do give good advice for trips. I was on the fence to put 2000 miles on my Wife's car, but you convinced me to take it instead of a MX rental. I told my Wife & my sister they can choose where to stop on the way back up as long as they let me play 'Hotel California' the whole drive down... 24hrs? 3days to drive down is good then.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 08:56 PM

be sure to stop by and say hi to DENNIS and JJJ! they have ALL the answers! :coolup:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 09:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja_Itzcoatl  
Hahaha no not a troll... but as i'm watching GS get spanked by Cleveland i was waiting for that to come from someone since i don't post often, its ok....Thanks everyone... this makes me feel alot better. The reason i'm driving all the way to Cabo is because thats where Baja ends. I've been going as far as Ensenada since 1988 when i was 16... Dodgers won World Series in '88. I've been reading this forum for a few years now... alot of you are funny when u bicker with each other. But you do give good advice for trips. I was on the fence to put 2000 miles on my Wife's car, but you convinced me to take it instead of a MX rental. I told my Wife & my sister they can choose where to stop on the way back up as long as they let me play 'Hotel California' the whole drive down... 24hrs? 3days to drive down is good then.

:bounce: Bingo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2016 at 10:24 PM

...Dodgers won World Series in '88....

I was at game one! Best sporting event I ever saw in person. Right up there with seeing the Lakers in the Finals 9 times in 13 years and win five.

You will have a great time.

#1 rule in Baja ESPECIALLY in Cabo - call your tequila! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 06:58 AM

It is usually brought up but just a thought again. We always take Pesos to pay for fuel.. Don't have to play with the exchange at the gas station and getting change.. If you take a lot of Pesos don't carry the whole wad in your wallet,, kind of divide it up. Also helps when stopping at taco stands and motels...
Watch all the highway curves for oncoming 18 wheelers, they like to swing wide on curves and your side of the hwy might not have a shoulder in many areas..
Enjoy the scenery, watch for the killer topes' some are marked many are not... Cows, goats and horses all like to eat the grass beside the road day or night...
Now that your stress level is up.. it will be fun...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2016 at 07:50 PM

You will have a great time. My best advice to you is pick NICE comfy hotels on the way down and back.

jardines hotel in san quintin is good day's drive and a nice hotel. don't go on a Monday since the restaurant there (which is good) is closed that day. beautiful garden setting makes the ladies oooh and ahhhh

next suggestion is new hotel that opened up in san Ignacio. the name slips my mind at the moment...someone will post it surely. huge mission church there and the main square will be a big hit with all.

and then the next stop might be la paz? that is a long drive and there are lots of hotels depending on your budget. malecon (shore) for beauty of the view of the beach!

and then you are good to go for Los Cabos!

Have a wonderful trip.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 07:32 PM

The newest hotel in San Ignacio is La Huerta. Comfy, clean, large rooms.

And great water (quantity & quality) compared to other locations.

have fun- beautiful drive, rough roads in center of peninsula but much better once you get south of Loreto.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

next suggestion is new hotel that opened up in san Ignacio. the name slips my mind at the moment...someone will post it surely. huge mission church there and the main square will be a big hit with all.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 06:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Troll alert. The Op knows too much while knowing too little.

my thoughts as well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
The newest hotel in San Ignacio is La Huerta. Comfy, clean, large rooms.

And great water (quantity & quality) compared to other locations.

have fun- beautiful drive, rough roads in center of peninsula but much better once you get south of Loreto.

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Troll alert. The Op knows too much while knowing too little.

my thoughts as well.

I just think the OP is just having a little bit of fun, although it's a good question, and many tips are coming in on some nice places to visit on trip down to Cabo.

The problem I have with the OP's post, is the bigoted joke about the Muslim garb, on the two supposedly beautiful women making the trip with the OP, and the fear-mongering question about waiting in baja for a possible caravan, and hitching a ride on the caravan.

I know there has been some talk about caravans being the safest way to travel in Baja, and there has been some promotion about caravan groups on Facebook, and likening modern day car caravans in Baja, to the old western wagon trains, and when the wagon train used to get attacked by the savage Indians, the wagon trains would simply "circle the wagons" as a defensive measure.

C'mon people, it's 2016 and while there are certainly a few bad Mexicans out there, it's unrealistic to expect to travel in caravans down to Cabo, unless it's with a known group, and if you really feel you need to travel in a caravan, maybe you should just take a commercial flight to Cabo, or better yet just stay home and visit a local " "El Torito" restaurant, to get that Mexico feeling.

Anyway the OP claims to have been going to Mexico, since 1988, mostly to Ensenada, and Puerto Nuevo. He also claims to have visited Rosarito, every weekend during the summer. With that kind of experience, the OP should be giving advice instead of always asking for advice, and he should pretty much know what to expect and the kind of people he is likely to encounter on his journey to Cabo which is a piece of cake of a trip, unless you encounter a cow on the highway.

The OP has been talking about this trip down to Cabo for a few years now, from reviewing the few posts he made on "Baja Nomad" and he always seems to talk about the others being afraid to travel to Mexico. It makes me wonder who is really harboring these fears?

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:53 PM

Thanks for the great photos of La Huerta, David.
That said, in y opinion, anyone who drive the entire length of Baja to spend only two nights in Cabo is delusional. Such a long drive. In the many decades that we have made that trip, there was absolutely no way that we were going to turn around and drive back after two days.

And, we were there when they had the gunmen incident at Soriana's.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:04 PM

Who would do that? Or, do you consider spending more days in San José del Cabo, Todos Santos, Los Barriles, or La Paz an acceptable alternative than staying in the city of Cabo San Lucas?

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 06:19 AM

Make sure you have Mexican auto insurance, a passport and FMMs. Don't bring anything illegal, watch for busses and 18 wheelers... I can only speak of the road as far as Loreto, it is in good shape except for the potholes for 20 or 30 miles south of Catavina. North of Catavina is a fabulous little shop that sells onyx items for the best price in Baja. Best gas stations are in El Rosario & Jesus Maria. Mulege is a great stop, Hotel Las Casitas... be polite, use common sense, don't drive at night...Baja is SAFE! You will have a good time.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:15 AM

Hello… I plan to drive to Cabo from L.A. at the end of this month. I know it’s going to be HOT but I don’t care if it’s HOT because I’ve been wanting to do this for 10 years now. I’ve been postponing it every year so nothing is going to stop me, I’m going. I have 12 days to do the round trip, I plan to get to Cabo as quickly and safely as possible, just to say I did it. Spending 2 nights in Cabo and then drive back up leisurely to stop at the places I missed on the way down. My goal is just to say I did it. My problem is this... I’m going with 2 beautiful women. The story from February’s carjacking because of the women in the vehicle has me thinking. We are still going, I didn’t mention that incident to them, and luckily in their research they haven’t heard of that story only positive ones. What do you recommend? Should I fatten them up? Dress them in Muslim garb? I’m open for suggestions. I don’t want to raise suspicions since one of the reasons it’s taken me this long is because EVERYONE is afraid to drive down with me! I don’t have a caravan going, so should I just wait until I see one driving and tag along? Is this something people do, or will I be “the weird guy following us”. I was planning on renting a car in TJ and driving the rental down. Is that something people do? Or is a Mexican plated car riskier than a California vehicle? I’ve been reading/lurking this forum so I know the drill… you’re going to send me to search previous threads. NO! Respond here please, because I know then some of you are going to highjack it and start arguing with each other, it’s inevitable and ok. But, this is a real trip so any helpful advice for the three of us is appreciated. :spingrin:

Don't forget the Trump 2016 bumper sticker. He's very respected in these parts:light:

Just go and have fun. 10 Days is plenty of time to bounce around Baja.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 09:00 AM

If you have been driving as far south as Ensenada for that many years, you already know the answer to most of your questions. Have a good trip.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 09:26 AM

From your ID i take it you fancy yourself to be emperor itzcoatl incarnate?
Since when do kings drive rental cars on vacation road trips and seek vacation advice from anonymous commoners on the intertubes?

Hello… I plan to drive to Cabo from L.A. at the end of this month. I know it’s going to be HOT but I don’t care if it’s HOT because I’ve been wanting to do this for 10 years now. I’ve been postponing it every year so nothing is going to stop me, I’m going. I have 12 days to do the round trip, I plan to get to Cabo as quickly and safely as possible, just to say I did it. Spending 2 nights in Cabo and then drive back up leisurely to stop at the places I missed on the way down. My goal is just to say I did it. My problem is this... I’m going with 2 beautiful women. The story from February’s carjacking because of the women in the vehicle has me thinking. We are still going, I didn’t mention that incident to them, and luckily in their research they haven’t heard of that story only positive ones. What do you recommend? Should I fatten them up? Dress them in Muslim garb? I’m open for suggestions. I don’t want to raise suspicions since one of the reasons it’s taken me this long is because EVERYONE is afraid to drive down with me! I don’t have a caravan going, so should I just wait until I see one driving and tag along? Is this something people do, or will I be “the weird guy following us”. I was planning on renting a car in TJ and driving the rental down. Is that something people do? Or is a Mexican plated car riskier than a California vehicle? I’ve been reading/lurking this forum so I know the drill… you’re going to send me to search previous threads. NO! Respond here please, because I know then some of you are going to highjack it and start arguing with each other, it’s inevitable and ok. But, this is a real trip so any helpful advice for the three of us is appreciated. :spingrin:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Who would do that? Or, do you consider spending more days in San José del Cabo, Todos Santos, Los Barriles, or La Paz an acceptable alternative than staying in the city of Cabo San Lucas?

Good observation, considering that we really don't know what the OP meant. Just such a long haul to go to land's end and turn around after two days unless what DK said is the plan.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Good observation, considering that we really don't know what the OP meant. Just such a long haul to go to land's end and turn around after two days unless what DK said is the plan.

That is exactly what I did in 2012! I had spent time there in the late 80's and 90's, and wanted to see how much it had changed.

I pretty much came down the Pacific side with few stops, and spent one day in Cabo. I checked out the overdeveloped harbor area, checked a mall, bought a chicken at Costco, and then headed up the dirt road along the East Cape.

It sounds like the OP might want to party there, and should have a good time, but my favorite view of Cabo now was in my rear view mirror!

That isn't meant as a slam on Cabo, I just prefer a simpler, more rustic Baja!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:35 PM

We stayed in La Paz... and not only visited Cabo, but did the glass bottom boat cruise out to the tip (arch), had mango margaritas, toured the beach near Todos Santos, and the bat cave near Santiago. In the summer, days are long, and with BajaTripper and Zully along as guides, it was a great day! Link below in my sig to all 15 great days trip report.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2016 at 04:36 PM

As someone who first visited Cabo in 1983, I have been continually stunned by the development. But the good news for old time Cabo visitors is that there are still many great restaurants that date back to that time.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.