BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Abandoned Stone Building & Adobe near San Miguel?
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 12:01 PM
Abandoned Stone Building & Adobe near San Miguel?

OK, I think I've done my due diligence and scoured the web and forums here, and my extensive Baja library, and still am no closer to finding any historical information on this.

On my trips toward Los Corrales and Bahia San Juan Bautista on the Gulf coast from El Barril, I always stop at the remains of what was once an ambitious ranch homestead very near Rancho San Miguel (now abandoned). I've posted some pics on Google Earth/Panoramio which I will include here. There is antique furniture inside the stone building, and the overall quality of the building is impressive, even retaining its stained glass unbroken. Next to it is a melted adobe. On the level ground some acres around the site is an extensive stone-lined system of aqueducts that must add up to a mile or more. This system terminates into a large cement cistern dated IIRC, 1910. There are two rock walls on the hillside above the site which must have required considerable effort to construct.

I tried to reach the area this last December, but the road is completely obliterated from the junction to Rancho Santa Barbara. I've seen this road-condition written-up here on the various 'No Wimps Trail' threads.

If anyone here knows anything more about the site, I would love to know more about it, as it is now accessible only on foot (or broken suspension components). If I missed a previous post about it, I bow my head in shame . . .

81914450.jpg - 124kB81914609.jpg - 104kB81915560.jpg - 140kB
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 12:19 PM

Yes, it is certainly impressive! We spent several days there in 1999 in Feb. and inspected the site for a full day. A lot of work and building went on there, as you pics indicate, plus lots of small rock living quarters. The folks at Rancho San Miguel told us that it was a subsidized Ajido project, but I don't remember when they said it was active. Several storms and subsequent flooding of that huge drainage doomed the irrigation system from the start, we were thinking, and the evidence is very strong that the project's irrigation infrastructure was largely destroyed by floods over the years, probably resulting in it's failure. It a fascinating place, tho, and we really enjoyed our week stay in that area poking around, but we did not get down to Los Corrales as the roads were just too soft and spooky for the 2 of us in 2 vehicles----mine a big camper 4x4, and my friends a little Isuzu Trooper 4x4. In other words, we chickened-out. We did spend a couple of days out on the cobble beach opposite and beyond the Eijido site. I am truly disappointed that the road is washed out as that is beautiful and wild country down there, and well worth exploring.
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 01:13 PM

Thanks . . . a little more than I knew before! I guess some Ejido projects are more aesthetic than others . . . The first time I was there, 2011, R.San Miguel was occupied, but as I speak so little Spanish, I never inquired.

I chickened-out the first time too . . . we got almost to the 28th parallel on the bay, trying to get through to San Ignacio, but I knew if we didn't make it, we would have run out of gas, so we turned around. Plus, that must be one of the most remote places I've ever been. Any small issue could be a disaster.

I imagine someone will either reopen the road, or reroute it to the north, as it looks like some of that work has already been done.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 02:00 PM

When we were in that area in 1999 the "road" was almost entirely in the La Fortuna Canyon wash-bottom down to Rancho San Miguel, as the BAJA ALMANAC indicates, and was in excellent shape, tho just a truck-trail thru the boulders and Palo Blanco trees. Saltram, you got much further south than we did-------we got to only about 5 miles southeast of Rancho San Miguel when the trail we were following got really marginal, and the vaqueros were very dubious about us getting thru with the 4x4 Ford camper vehicle even with big-tires and special suspension, etc. , and I came to agree with them----if we broke down or got stuck we would have been in a very bad way, and we had already had a very close call in the mudflats of Boca Grande north of the little fishing village of San Rafael where I manged to get the big camper truck stuck on the dry-looking tidal-flat pretty badly for several hours. We were gun-shy from THAT experience.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 07:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by salttram  
Thanks . . . a little more than I knew before! I guess some Ejido projects are more aesthetic than others . . . The first time I was there, 2011, R.San Miguel was occupied, but as I speak so little Spanish, I never inquired.

I chickened-out the first time too . . . we got almost to the 28th parallel on the bay, trying to get through to San Ignacio, but I knew if we didn't make it, we would have run out of gas, so we turned around. Plus, that must be one of the most remote places I've ever been. Any small issue could be a disaster.

I imagine someone will either reopen the road, or reroute it to the north, as it looks like some of that work has already been done.

I do believe, this nice building existed long before the ejidos were established.
I was told, it was a large cattle ranch operation, and the cattle was shipped via boats to Santa Rosalia.
The French mining company Boleo, operated many large ranches in the Tres Vigines Volcano area, to supply food for the many mine workers in Santa Rosalio.
Also, they supposedly shipped cattle/meat to Europe as well.......

BTW I mastered the "no wimp" trail in both directions just by myself, with my Adventurewagen, before the last storms took out that road to San Miguel.
During X-mas of 2012, my friend Harald (4x4abc) and I , drove the La Fortuna Canyon Trail again, after it was washed out completely many years ago.
It was a great adventure with his FJ40, still finding some sections of the old trail.
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/La-Fortuna/i-Jqn8t...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2016 at 08:01 PM

Outstanding, Fernweh! I remember your thread on this from before. I was impressed, and completely amazed on what you accomplished, and still am.
Such beautiful country down in that area.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 09:13 AM

Salttram there are two ranches in the area that may have info. After leaving El Barril for the No Wimp Trail you pass thru a gate at Rancho La Ilusion. The owner speaks good English and he might have knowledge of San Miguel.

The road to Rancho Santa Barbara is open at least to Rancho Crestones. We met with the lady that lives there this past Jan. She said Rancho Santa Barbara is abandoned. I don't know how long her and her husband have lived there or if they are related to people that use to live at Santa Barbara. She spoke only Spanish. I did a trip report and posted it here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81801

While the No Wimp Trail was very badly damaged in 2014 at both ends 4x4abc (Harald) drove it in March of last year in his G-Wagen along with two other vehicles. His report is here.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77320&pag...
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 01:10 PM

Thanks, it's good to know someone at R.Illusion speaks English. I'd like to make it all the way through someday! It really is one of the best parts of Baja.

We checked out Timbabiche 2-years ago but wished we had more time to explore around there, another fantastic area. Maybe try for Dolores del Sur.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:25 PM

the topo map has the house as La Casona

I have been looking for information for a long time
haven't found anything

the style of the house contradicts El Boleo involvement
they built everything in wood and in French colonial

Karl and I found one in the Santa Ana region a while ago

if there is any Boleo involvement, the museum in Santa Rosalia might have information

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 05:41 PM

The "big house"?

The owner of Casa leree collects local history, try her?

There is a history museum/society museum in Ensenada, try asking them?

Or ask the locals, they will know.

:light:

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

haven't found anything

if there is any Boleo involvement, the museum in Santa Rosalia might have information
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The "big house"?

haven't found anything

Sadly, many "locals" do not know. They came to the peninsula to make a living off the land... and old buildings long abandoned when they arrived and have no meaning to most, it has seemed. They are historic treasures to only a few who see the value in preserving these ruins so that future generations can appreciate the struggles of the pioneers or try to figure out the motivation to come to Baja.

Dk, dont know where you form such opinions. I find that many locals know the local history.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The "big house"?

haven't found anything

Sadly, many "locals" do not know. They came to the peninsula to make a living off the land... and old buildings long abandoned when they arrived and have no meaning to most, it has seemed. They are historic treasures to only a few who see the value in preserving these ruins so that future generations can appreciate the struggles of the pioneers or try to figure out the motivation to come to Baja.

David, What BS. The people who write accurately about the history of an area usually talk to long time locals. Seems your absence from Baja has distorted your view of its people. If this is how you treat history, it makes your writings highly suspect.

I would say get a job, but I thought you had one.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:59 AM

Ralph, I am interested in facts without any politics.
People who were there when the events occurred are the ones who can give the most data. Then research comes next. Some rancher (who no doubt loves his land and his country) who only knows first hand what he has seen can only relate what was told to him from his memory or what he read, somewhere.

Case in point: Choral Pepper and Murl Emery each wrote books about Baja exploring and they both came by helicopter to the village of San Francisco de la Sierra in the early 1960s (as the first outsiders the village had ever seen). They were told the old walls there were the remains of Mission Dolores del Norte, so that got published in their books.

Mexico's INAH has labeled the San Pablo visita ruins (in the canyon below San Francisco de la Sierra/ east of Vizcaino) as "Misión Dolores del Norte"...

Are both right?
No, neither are right. Dolores del Norte only really existed on paper (maps and lists of the mid-1700s).

The rest of (real) story is in my book... but has been posted many times here on Nomad, for free.

They were doing real research...as happens with history there was a later update. Real historians don't always get it right all the time. Armchair historians seldom get it right the first time....sometimes never.

What politics? and what happened to your job?

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by rts551]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 11:17 AM

You use political beliefs as a reason for many of your negative posts. No problem, it's what you do. I am able to separate politics from friendships and don't hold the views by some (that government should run our lives and that we are too stupid to know the best way to live for our families) against being civil with them. I have many friends who probably vote the way you do, and we are nice to each other.

My job (irrigation) is the same I have had for 36 years. The economy is still devastated by the non-growth the past 8 years, no jobs yet this week. So, I am doing more writing/ researching/ etc. from home.

David Pls. Show me where a brought politics into it. Show me. Your post illustrates you can not separate your politics from your postings.

I thought you had a new job...5 days a week 8 hours a day. little late in your life but I was happy for you. What happened? or was I mistaken.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 11:41 AM

At least that's what they tell you, eh?

If they were not there in 1890 (or pick a date) then their only source is either hearsay from others or made up themselves. It very well could be from a poorly researched book of 'history' as so many published have been.

My first source is to read history as it was written by people who were there when the events happened, then next by the closest to the time and so on. Modern writers (English and Spanish language) make mistakes, (including me)... but when the mistake is discovered, let's correct it!

It's all about getting to the truth... and we hope the truth is out there!

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by David K]

You are reAding original spanish re missions? i doubt your reading comprehension.

Re local history in the boonies,... Many of the local ranches have been in same family for generations, the locals know more than your gringo heros that drove by in 1949.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 03:05 PM

You use political beliefs as a reason for many of your negative posts. No problem, it's what you do. I am able to separate politics from friendships and don't hold the views by some (that government should run our lives and that we are too stupid to know the best way to live for our families) against being civil with them. I have many friends who probably vote the way you do, and we are nice to each other.

My job (irrigation) is the same I have had for 36 years. The economy is still devastated by the non-growth the past 8 years, no jobs yet this week. So, I am doing more writing/ researching/ etc. from home.

You're funny David:lol: Plenty of jobs out there...if you're willing to work.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 03:45 PM

That's the truth...Change with the times....

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:46 PM

:lol: just can't help himself :no:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:50 PM

Uh DK? What we are talking about here is getting off your ass and doing something about it. If your job goes away, the bills still have to be paid, the world moves on...Do something else..Whining about the bad people who you blame for it, don't git er dun....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:53 PM

Back to the subject...My daughter and I were in there back in the late 70's she says...She may have some pics...I'll be at her place 4th of July and if we find them..yall will be the first to know...

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.