Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Long term living in Baja
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 02:52 PM
Long term living in Baja

I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:07 PM

I'd decide where I wanted to live then find the bar that the local gringo's hang out and ask around.
I've also had great luck finding nice furnished places in the $5-600 range using a property manager. in the rosarito area talk to Angie Fernandez ;)
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:18 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. I looked up Rosarito and I would like to be farther south, away from the touristy Tijuana, Ensenada, etc. Within a couple of hours of the CA border would be great. A more "smaller town feel" without being isolated, but yet close enough to grocery stores, doctors, etc.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:42 PM

Really ought to check out Ensenada, for a number of reasons. It's a big town, and there are many suburbs surrounding it. So many major stores with NOB connections. Great restaurants and shopping.

Once you go farther South, unless you go go a place like Punta Band, your Southward options are somewhat limited until you get to San Quintin.

But, as I recall, in your original post you wanted something not too far from the border. San Quintin is a few hours South.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:54 PM

I agree on Ensenada, we live there

It can be as big or as small as you want. I would suggest checking out the Punta Banda area

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/puntabanda/

Punta Banda Community newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:05 PM

Thank you to Bajahowodd and bajaguy. Especially since you live there, this is invaluable information. I am researching!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:09 PM

If you have any questions, please send me a u2u (private message)

Quote: Originally posted by Sunshine1  
Thank you to Bajahowodd and bajaguy. Especially since you live there, this is invaluable information. I am researching!
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:28 PM

Sunshine1, are you aware of the rules and regulations by the Mexican Gob.to retire and live in Mexico?
Which visa will you apply for?

I hear the whales song
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:37 PM

We live too far south for me to give advice.

But I wanted to wish you lots of luck on this new adventure moving south.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:38 PM

bajagrouper, I have no idea about any of the particulars. I am just beginning my inquiries, and was told this is a reputable and helpful website so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure there will be some difficult parts, but I hope some of you can make me aware of the pitfalls. Another important thing to me is the weather. Can no longer take hard winters. If you never ask, you will never know, so just trying to learn from other's experiences---the good and the bad.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:53 PM

Been in Ensenada for 10 years now, and no snow!! I have tire chains, snow brushes and snow shovels for sale

bajagrouper, I have no idea about any of the particulars. I am just beginning my inquiries, and was told this is a reputable and helpful website so I thought I would give it a try. I'm sure there will be some difficult parts, but I hope some of you can make me aware of the pitfalls. Another important thing to me is the weather. Can no longer take hard winters. If you never ask, you will never know, so just trying to learn from other's experiences---the good and the bad.
SteveWil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:53 PM

http://www.losogradysinmexico.com/

The Above is a site of a family that moved to mexico about 5 years ago, they are on the main land but the things that they run in to will give some insight into mexico living.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 05:46 PM

Hop in your car, stop at the border and get a FMM (a tourist permit, you'll need a passport) and plan on an exploration trip, perhaps a couple of weeks staying at hotels to look around.

Work your way north to south. Options are Playas de Tijuana, Rosarito, La Mision, Bajamar, Ensenada, Punta Banda. There's not much south of Punta Banda until you get to San Quintin which is 4 or 5 hours south of the border.

Do you speak any Spanish?

Ask questions here.

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by SFandH]
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 06:21 PM

That family apparently lives in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. No comparison with ANYWHERE in Baja. I lived for two years there, I've lived for over ten in Baja so i can say, not even apples and oranges. Two different worlds. Completely.

Best advice to anyone thinking about/exploring possible retirement, or otherwise, sites, get I. The car, hop on a bus, or whatever, and take an extended trip of exploration.

Quote: Originally posted by SteveWil  

The Above is a site of a family that moved to mexico about 5 years ago, they are on the main land but the things that they run in to will give some insight into mexico living.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 06:28 PM

That's soulpatch's family, a longtime poster here. What a handsome family they are.

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
That family apparently lives in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. No comparison with ANYWHERE in Baja. I lived for two years there, I've lived for over ten in Baja so i can say, not even apples and oranges. Two different worlds. Completely.

Best advice to anyone thinking about/exploring possible retirement, or otherwise, sites, get I. The car, hop on a bus, or whatever, and take an extended trip of exploration.

Quote: Originally posted by SteveWil  

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 07:38 PM

I just found this forum and registered. Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding information for the safe areas to live in Baja Norte, not too far from the CA border, long term, affordable furnished small rentals---house, cabin, cottage, preferably on the Pacific side? I am a retired single. I know nothing about the cities or terrain, but do not prefer to be right on the beach unless necessary. Also have a small dog and like to go for walks. Would like some trees. Any of the websites I have found are sponsored by Property Managements and Vacation rentals, and display large and expensive rentals. I would like to talk to retirees who have already made this move and are happy with their choice. Also the negative. The 2 most important things to me are safety and affordability. Thank you.

Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot.

[Edited on 6-21-2016 by Ateo]

Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 07:43 PM

"Where have you been in Baja? I live in America so I can't tell you how it is to live in Baja. You want trees? Not many of those around..........

Eliminating TJ and Rosarito, I would think your only other options are Ensenada and San Quintin if you want to live close to the border. You could try San Felipe if you like it hot."

I have never been to Baja. That's why I have so many questions.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:09 PM

Really???
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:15 PM

Sunshine1, Welcome to the forum, I think you will find lots of information, and opinions here, and that will just generate more questions.

I can't offer you much help, because I usually spend all my time in Baja further south than you are considering, and never in the summer.

I am curious as to what sort of 'winter hell' you are attempting to get away from? A Baja winter is as warm as I want to be, and I would have to escape back north during the summer.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Sunshine1

[*] posted on 6-20-2016 at 08:29 PM

AKgringo, I'm not sure if I am responding correctly on this forum. If I am not please let me know. Anyway, I live in the PNW. Snow, and 7-8 months of non-stop rain, gray, fog that never lifts, gloomy days. I have read that the Pacific side of Baja has pleasant summers.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.