Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BEST BAJA COOLER
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 12:32 PM
BEST BAJA COOLER

Hi Nomads,

Has anyone input regarding a GOOD ice cooler that will store ice for at least a week in the Baja heat? I have been considering the Polar Cap Equalizer by Cabela, it seems a good buy:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-polar-cap-equalizer-...

Any experience or comments or other suggestions are highly appreciated.

Much grass...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
DirkEXC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 12:37 PM

Field and Stream did a test on about 15 coolers last
month and this one was their best pick
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 12:52 PM

looks like an excellent choice! :yes:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 02:01 PM

www.yeticoolers.com

They aren't cheap, but the quality is top notch and people rave about them. I haven't seen a warm drink come out of a Yeti thus far...

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 04:59 PM

You will have the best success if you follow these rules. Use the largest piece of block ice you can fit. Keep your cooler out of the sun and insulate it with your sleeping bags or ????. Keep the lid closed. Know exactly what is in your cooler and where so you can quickly grab what you need. No opening the lid and "looking around". Drain off the melted water. Never add anything warm to the cooler. Cold food and drinks are a luxury. Consider dried foods and powdered drinks to relieve the pressure on your coldness. All drinks should be in aluminum cans. Use the refrigerators of friends, motels, stores and strangers to your advantage. I'm sure there are other tips I've forgotten.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 05:37 PM

I capture the water I drain from the chest, and use it to water my dog. That is both in her water dish, and wetting her down to help her cool off!

It would also have been great to offer it to the two women near El Rosario who were flagging traffic down with an empty water jug! Seriously though, it did come in handy for the radiator of a local resident near Cabo Pulmo once.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:27 PM

There are some interesting tests on You Tube regarding coolers.

Check this one out; RTIC vs. Yeti:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaTmfV_c8A

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DirkEXC  
Field and Stream did a test on about 15 coolers last
month and this one was their best pick

Here is the link:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/03/ice-c...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 08:16 AM

Thanks Nomads,

Very valuable information you all have provided, I'm now sure of purchasing a Polar Cap Equalizer to use along or instead of my old (6 years) 12v portable freezer (http://www.whynter.com/productdetail/refrigeration/portable_...), I usually take one or two coleman smaller coolers (36 qts?) for daily use and use the freezer to keep things frozen and put them into the coolers to thaw and cool down the cervezas, or milk, vegies, eggs or... but for sure the cervezas...!!! :biggrin:

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 08:22 AM

Same subject with more info
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80336
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
You will have the best success if you follow these rules. Use the largest piece of block ice you can fit. Keep your cooler out of the sun and insulate it with your sleeping bags or ????. Keep the lid closed. Know exactly what is in your cooler and where so you can quickly grab what you need. No opening the lid and "looking around". Drain off the melted water. Never add anything warm to the cooler. Cold food and drinks are a luxury. Consider dried foods and powdered drinks to relieve the pressure on your coldness. All drinks should be in aluminum cans. Use the refrigerators of friends, motels, stores and strangers to your advantage. I'm sure there are other tips I've forgotten.

TRUTH! :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 12:33 AM

I use the water I drain off to "pre chill" warmer items to add back into the cooler. Have also watered a few wild burros with it in the searing heat of the Mojave summer...they pretend not to care, but once in a bowl anywhere near them...game on!

Block ice rules. I will usually round off whatever the tab is with the Gardena Ice Co with some dry ice. Bang for the buck I love my Coleman Extreme...but no true latch to close it and still has coyote opener teeth marks and those large Sierra fillets are just a memory.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 05:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

Block ice rules. I will usually round off whatever the tab is with the Gardena Ice Co with some dry ice. Bang for the buck I love my Coleman Extreme...but no true latch to close it and still has coyote opener teeth marks and those large Sierra fillets are just a memory.

I also bought the Coleman Extreme after the flurry of testing a year ago, @ $50. I wouldn't throw it out of my pickup at 40mph but it is far superior to the average Walmart cooler and it works well on our trips. I wish they would have included it in the testing as I suspect it would preform just a little under the average in this test setting.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 09:29 AM
how about build your own?

we're talkin pretty low tech items here.....after adding additional insulation to all my chest freezers with the leftovers I lined a milk crate with 2" of hard foam insulation, covered with FRP and sealed with 5200. this is also one of the seats in our blow-up boat. its an extremely strong box and insulates better than any of our ice chests.
if you could find an appropriate size crate to start with you could build a really efficient ice chest on the cheap! :yes:

[Edited on 6-23-2016 by willardguy]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 09:40 AM

This is almost like asking 'what kind of tires should I buy for off road used in Baja'? The thread will explode !!

Had not been on this Forum for some time. It's good to see lots of old familiar folks on here again and read some of the posts.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 10:05 AM

I have an engle and coleman extreme. Both keep cold for same duration, but engel costs way more! Get the coleman!

There are no grizzlies in baja, so why do you need a grizzly-proof cooler???

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  

I also bought the Coleman Extreme after the flurry of testing a year ago, @ $50. I wouldn't throw it out of my pickup at 40mph but it is far superior to the average Walmart cooler and it works well on our trips. I wish they would have included it in the testing as I suspect it would preform just a little under the average in this test setting.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 10:11 AM

I also have the Coleman Extreme 5 day rated chest.
It has lasted 5 days in summer... using block ice but with careful location (in the shade or covered up), daily draining of melted ice water, limited opening or seal it while using another chest for normal use until its ice is gone.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 03:26 PM
BEST BAJA COOLER

BEST BAJA COOLER = a Margarita

I hear the whales song
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 07:04 PM

I have a 35 QT and a 55 QT Canyon cooler. Made in Flagstaff, AZ. Not cheap, $250-300. Two off road mag. tested a bunch of coolers not long ago and the Canyon was rated the best by one and tied for best in the other mag.

In April on our Amigo trip down Baja I took the 55 Qt with two blocks of ice and the rest cubes/crushed in it. I drained and added crushed ice every couple of days when I got home I left the cooler in the garage for a couple of days keeping my beer cold. After 8 days the two blocks of ice I had put in it were about half size along with a good amount of the crushed ice when I tossed them out.

The best cooler I've ever had, but like I said they on the expensive side. If you are only going for a couple of days or if you are near a store that sells ice they're probably not worth it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-23-2016 at 08:45 PM

The best Baja cooler? The one in your buddy's truck. It's EXPENSIVE keeping those things full of goodies! :tumble:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.