Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Residency requirements to purchace property in Baja
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 06:55 PM
Residency requirements to purchace property in Baja

I know this has been kicked around before but I also know that laws change. I'm not talking about what you can make happen or what your brother in law did, I know the interpretation of the rules are a moving target in MX. I'm asking specifically what the current MX law states about the necessary immigration requirements to purchase property. Anyone know?

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 07:09 PM

This is a link to a free e-book by a La Paz realtor with whom I do not share genetic or social affiliation:

http://www.margaritamindblog.com

I think this is a good, basic, plain language summary of real estate purchase considerations.

Cheerio,
W

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 07:42 PM

I have a friend who recently bought and established a fido with nothing more than a passport.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 06:39 AM

I'm in the process of a second fideicomiso. You do not need to be a resident. You must have a valid FMM and passport when you are in the country. You will be asked to show both when you begin the paperwork. You will also be asked for a copy of a valid passport for your beneficiary(s).

[Edited on 6-22-2016 by danaeb]

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 09:39 AM
Baja property

Windgirl

Tried the email address for Susan in the info you posted.

Cam back undeliverable.

Any other info??

Thanks
Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
Stiktime

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 12:06 PM

Corky
Try again, it worked for me !
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 12:39 PM

As I recall at the time we bought our property and set up a Fido (2008) it was not a requirement of the Fido to have an FM2 or 3(now RP, RT) but you could not leave possessions in Mexico and leave the country. So you can own property but can't leave possessions eg, cars, boats, furniture etc when you went back to the States. Don't know if this is fact or not, but was told that by a Mexican attorney at the time.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 02:19 PM

I bought my property in 2008 and was told by the notario at that time that all I had to be was "in Mexico legally" so a fmm would have sufficed. anyway just ask the notario that you are working what the requirements are now and follow his advice.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 03:08 PM

Just our experience the last year or so. The Notario will not process the sale of a fideicomiso property unless you have legal status.. IE: permanent or temporary resident status...
I know many have purchased and sold in the past with only tourist visa.
When we purchased 7 years ago we were informed then that we had to start the process to own property so we did...
This is through the Notario 20 in Sta. Rosalia..... and an attorney in Mulege... for what it might be worth...
If you live in a Condo property regime or an association civil one of the requirements to be a member is legal status also...
Seems that many have different experiences, but just our most recent experience in the madhouse world of Mexico real estate...
Good Luck...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 04:11 PM

What's the latest on a fido. I'll be in the market soon. Any word on replacing the fido with direct ownership for non mexican citizens?
Best bank for a fido?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
Just our experience the last year or so. The Notario will not process the sale of a fideicomiso property unless you have legal status.. IE: permanent or temporary resident status...
I know many have purchased and sold in the past with only tourist visa.
When we purchased 7 years ago we were informed then that we had to start the process to own property so we did...
This is through the Notario 20 in Sta. Rosalia..... and an attorney in Mulege... for what it might be worth...
If you live in a Condo property regime or an association civil one of the requirements to be a member is legal status also...
Seems that many have different experiences, but just our most recent experience in the madhouse world of Mexico real estate...
Good Luck...

Just to ad to your post, I am on the mainland and was thinking about selling my house in Guayabitos , Nayarit, I was told that I had to have a tax number from Hacienda ( Mexican Tax Man) so I go to Hacienda and they tell me before I can get the tax number I have to have a CURP number that Immigration passes out, only problem is you have to have at least a temp resadence visa to get the CURP and was told you need this tax/ CURP number when buying or selling real estate now...I bought a ranch and a beach house years ago when an FMT/ FMM and a passport was all that was needed... Hacienda told me that US IRS made them get tax numbers for all US Citizens......NICE

I hear the whales song
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  

Just to ad to your post, I am on the mainland and was thinking about selling my house in Guayabitos , Nayarit, I was told that I had to have a tax number from Hacienda ( Mexican Tax Man) so I go to Hacienda and they tell me before I can get the tax number I have to have a CURP number that Immigration passes out, only problem is you have to have at least a temp resadence visa to get the CURP and was told you need this tax/ CURP number when buying or selling real estate now...I bought a ranch and a beach house years ago when an FMT/ FMM and a passport was all that was needed... Hacienda told me that US IRS made them get tax numbers for all US Citizens......NICE

bajagrouper,

Who told you this info? A Notario?

UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 06:03 PM

dt,
You might contact Gisela Talamantes Saenz, educated in real estate, immigration, property and contract law. She used to come to Los Barriles twice a week (not sure if she still does) but her main office is in La Paz. Cell #612.136.4598. Also have email if you want it.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-22-2016 at 07:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by bajagrouper  

bajagrouper,

Who told you this info? A Notario?

First my real estate agent, I then checked with the local notario who agreed with my agent and then he sent me to the Hacienda office in Puerto Vallarta who confirmed and sent me to INM who also confirmed....I am not going to get a Temp. resident Visa at this time and worry about it when and if it sells.......

By the way Hacienda calls this an RFC number.......

[Edited on 6-23-2016 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.