Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
A car cannot be "robbed" although it can be burglarized

The article is whacky, glamorizes a gritty fish camp.
I think the author is encouraging tourists to park there so he/she can rob their cars. Car breakins seems to be the local sport in town.

I disagree.

Goat--------Another lesson for you---------I car cannot be "robbed" unless you as a victim are sitting in it at the time. Things like cars and houses are burglarized, but if a victim is present and involved, then the crime is robbery. You cannot "rob" a thing, only a person.

Bank robbers rob things called banks.

Merriam-webster dictionary says rob is "to take money or property from a person or place illegally..."

My Webster's New World Dict. says your definition is close to the "popular definition", but not the "LAW" (legal) definition (as mine is)-----although it is worded differently than you quote. We all know what you meant, so it is moot, I suppose--------tho it is fun to challenge you as you so often do to others.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 12:40 PM

More things robbed

Rob the honey

Cradle robber

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 01:45 PM

Robbing the Queen's English.....:lol:

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 02:01 PM

Another robbery, robbing a thread of it's topic (see hijack)!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-14-2016 at 05:57 PM

Back to the meaning of Popotla. Curiously it's not in my Diccionario de Aztequismos. It is the prehispanic name of an area in Mexico City. Closest in the dictionary is "popote," which is a hollow reed or cane and the word that is used for a drinking straw in Mexico. The word comes from the Aztec "pópotl," meaning broom because of the plant stems used to make the brooms. Very likely the plants used to make the brooms grew in the area named Popotla.

Probably someone decided to give the name to the fishing village south of Rosarito. I've eaten there a number times and parked on the sand in the cove a number of times too. It's a rustic experience and helpful to know Spanish. It's very crowded on the weekends, mostly Mexicans, with a fiesta atmosphere. The entrance is patrolled, and it's a good idea to tip the guards on the way out because they are there to prevent thievery.

I recommend a sit-down restaurant, such as La Estrella, which is to the right at the top of the ramp that goes down to the beach. The seafood can be very fresh, tasty, and not high priced. Not an upscale dining experience, but it's authentically Mexican. If you know how to order and tell the waiter how you want the seafood cooked, you'll get a good meal. Be warned that you will be hustled by innumerable shills for the restaurants and stands. A lot like Avenida Revolución in the old days.
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2016 at 10:38 AM

Robbery de jure involves the use of "force or fear" against a person.

Theft of money from a live bank cashier at a bank would be bank robbery.

Theft of money from a bank that is closed with no one there would be burglary.

Just because a word that has an exact technical meaning is used incorrectly by many uninformed or ignorant people does not make that usage correct.

[Edited on 7-15-2016 by Bwana_John]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-15-2016 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bwana_John  

Just because a word that has an exact technical meaning is used incorrectly by many uninformed or ignorant people does not make that usage correct.

Bwaaaaaa!

Language is fluid, not static. Only a closed mind is static.
Definitions in law have little relevance to the language written and spoken by most of us. Sorry, if you cops, retired cops and wanna-be-cops are stuck on getting your language lessons from Joe Friday, then,... well, it don't really matter, eh?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2016 at 07:40 PM

Bwaaaaaa!

Definitions in law have little relevance to the language written and spoken by most of us. Sorry, if you cops, retired cops and wanna-be-cops are stuck on getting your language lessons from Joe Friday, then,... well, it don't really matter, eh?

just the facts, ma'am
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-15-2016 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Bwaaaaaa!

just the facts, ma'am

Language, and the understanding of words meanings, is crucial to understanding what people actually think, and how they will react. Perhaps this explains why the Goat does not understand much.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 02:23 AM

And don't forget Rob Petrie.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 09:12 AM

Hopefully we will get back on track of the original thread.

I have to throw in my two centavos on the original thread:

Now that I live in Baja and my eatery options have widened, I decided to make the hour drive to POPOTLA and try their eateries. After all it has been well publicized in nice reviews in the San Diego and Los Angeles Times.

Our first impression was that perhaps this is what Puerto Nuevo used to look like in the inception days.:bounce:

The first thing we noticed is that there were quite a few restaurant hustlers. But we managed to find a decent parking spot and walked down to the beachside eateries a-la-taco-stand. The choices and variety were numerous: clams fixed several ways, oysters, huge crabs, whole fish, choros, and other seafood varieties (none of these came close to the quality of La Guerrerense in Ensenada), but never the less, the food was appetizing and prepared right in front of you.

After visiting a couple of stands, we opted to finishing our meal at one of the restaurants that offer seating on a deck with the waves breaking underneath you.
That was a mistake: Margaritas were weak and made with some sort of mix. We ordered the shrimp and crab combo and a lobster crab combo. Puerto Nuevo this place was not. The lobster was dripping oil. The shrimp was waaay overcooked. The crab was OK, but when we had to use rocks to crack open the legs and body, stuff started squirting all over the place, including our clothes.

Needless to say, we won't be back. But perhaps you will have a different eating experience and just stick with the stands on the beach.

Here are some photos that we took of the place:

Yes, Popotla does have a motel available.

And there was this huge generator that was large enough to run the entire complex. It was running and perhaps it did.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 10:26 AM

Great pics Udo. That arch entry dates back to the 70s and nothing was ever made at the end of it (typical for many projects). Big fancy entrance and no more money to do the actual resort?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

Needless to say, we won't be back. But perhaps you will have a different eating experience and just stick with the stands on the beach.

My wife's first comment on the place was "Ugh, looks rat infested". But she says that about many "local" Mexican restaurants. She's probably right.

It is time for re-development US type health inspectors would burn the place down.

Is Popotla Ejido property?
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 09:22 AM

The "monument to nowhere" has been there forever and used to sit in an empty field for the longest time. It used to be one of my favorite Baja icons until the Jesus de Cristo statue was bulit.

About $5k for a panga ride to a surf landing somewhere in the US, finance packages available.

Es Todo Bueno
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 10:52 AM

I think you are right about the health inspectors, H.
Burn the place down? I think I would and start over! Perhaps. But there are some people making some good bucks smuggling locals into the USA from the beach.

Yes, Popotla is Ejido property from the last I heard.

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

It is time for re-development US type health inspectors would burn the place down.

Is Popotla Ejido property?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:08 AM

the fact is this beach is wildly popular with the locals who are happy as clams just the way it is! plenty of other gringo choice's to be had in this corridor ;)
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:25 AM

That's true and if they redeveloped it they would do it in such a way that would price the locals out. But I've read recently in La Frontera about water quality problems in that nice little bay. The waste removal systems, if any, haven't kept up with the population increase. Toilets, grease from the old restaurants, the remnants from fish cleaning, etc., all going into the surf.

There comes a time for clearing out the 50 year old rotted shacks and cleaning up. The place is frozen in time.

A beach side park area with some modest restaurants, good parking, and the maintenance of the panga fleet would be good for locals and tourists alike. But, it's an Ejido.

[Edited on 7-17-2016 by SFandH]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:29 AM

the thought of eating a clam, mussel or oyster from the local waters make me want to puke. actually, eating anything local. with the amount of runoff, sewage and other issues of modern society it just ain't for me.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:27 PM

Here's the TJ newspaper article about the pollution problem in Popotla in case anybody is interested.

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/17052...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.