Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amor Real y otras No-Ve-Las
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

rolleyes.gif posted on 9-4-2003 at 09:51 PM
Amor Real y otras No-Ve-Las

First, I hate loathe and despise soap operas in any language. They are all the products of lame writing by failed wannabees, interpreted by a collection of has-been or yet-to-be apprentice actors, with one supreme central element: Screaming b-tches. All soaps center upon screaming b-tches, with side panels of solemn warnings from unpleasant and unfulfilled matriarchs.

That established, I will say that I find Amor Real semi-bearable when combined with heavy drinking. It's historical, and a person of the male persuasion can find some interest in the period costumes and Spanish-Colonial architectural features of the sets without really paying much attention to the alleged plot.

If you are in a certain stage of learning Spanish, it may actually be beneficial to the learning process to have telenovelas on in the background if you are sufficiently innoculated against brain rot.
Jim

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 08:29 AM

Interesante, Oso. ?D?nde puedo encontrar este telenovela?
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 09:02 AM

I'm with you Oso - except that I kind of prefer mini skirts and low cut things to the period costumes.

As kind of a followup I'd include that learning spanish by reading the subtitles in movies is probably not the way to go. I think one would be better off choosing movies made in spoanish and just listening to the dialogue, trying to catch phrases.

For some reason when something is translated into spanish from another language ( movies, books, TV shows made in the US) it almost always comes out stale and unnatural sounding. But sometimes they do semi-OK on translations of The Simpson's.

Good point Oso.

Braulio.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 11:14 AM

Right, subtitles are not a good learning tool because they are often not translations of the actual dialogue at all, just an approximation or equivalent phrase (often a toned-down euphemism) to give you the gist of what's going on. With soaps, you don't even need that because it's always the same plot anyway. Watching and listening to almost any Spanish language movie or show is good regardless of how much you understand because you will absorb and learn by "osmosis". That's the way all children learn their own first language. Paying attention to subtiltles distracts you from hearing the words.

Amor Real is on Televisa 7-8 pm weekdays.

Oso
Ultra Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 9-5-2003 at 02:47 PM

Several years ago on Univision there was a semi-funny soap from Venezuela that had a lot of beach scenes of chicas in tangas. I watched that one even when my wife wasn't home. Can't remember the name, something about airline pilots.

It's been awhile since I've seen my favorite comedy show, Bienvenidos, also from Venezuela. It was on Univision. Don't know what happened to it.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 11:07 PM

I sat through one telenovela the other night just to hear my favorite Juanez song at the cuts to commercial. How's that fer a sick puppy? And my daughter already has the album! - Stephanie
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 09:37 PM

I dont' watch them, once you see one episode, you are hooked until it ends, so i leave that job to my se?orita.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.