BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Desert Hawks Emergency Services extending to Cataviņa... we request your help!!! *** Update ***
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 05:01 PM
Unit 8 has landed!

Unit 8 is safe and secure within sight of Tijuana waiting on paperwork from Mexico City to be approved so it can assist our brothers and sisters in El Rosario to continue providing an invaluable service to residents and travelers alike!

If Antonio green lights it Mas Olas will print shirts in support of the Halcones del Desierto Grupo de Rescate with all monies going to Commitment, Inc. Details to be worked out later.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by BajaNomad]

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 05:06 PM

Nice. I could use a new shirt. Standing by. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 05:51 PM

Awesome Woody! It looks right at home next to your Toyota!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 05:59 PM

Talk about a hijack, that ambulance is about to become a 'Woody Wagon'!

I expect to see surf board racks being installed if Antonio lets it sit there very long!

edit; I forgot to add smilies to look less like a troll :spingrin::lol:

[Edited on 7-30-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2016 at 07:37 PM

That is great and a T shirt would be great too for a great cause.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 05:38 AM

great work, Antonio and all! another Paypal donation on the way to help the vehicles along the way.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 08:41 AM

Thanks for assisting Woodman.

I'm down for a few t-shirts.

Did you convert your Tundra from gas to electric charging?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2016 at 10:03 AM

No, it just sits waiting for another Baja run. Keeps the battery happy.

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 7-31-2016 at 04:02 PM

Woody... thank you for giving us a place to store one of the Ambulances while we run the paperwork to bring them across to Mexico. Government officials told us it will take some weeks to process and approve the request. A waiting game now.

T-shirts sound like a great idea... we will get to work on it.

Thanks everyone for the support!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Andy F. Schouten
Desert Hawks Fire and Rescue
Commitment, Inc

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:39 PM
Ambulances finally cleared by Mexican Customs...

Hello my friends,

Just a quick update... after three months of paperwork and bureaucratic process, these two ambulances have been finally cleared by the Mexican Government to be brought into Mexico.

We have been scheduled to present both vehicles this coming November 3rd into the Mexican Customs at Otay Border Crossing.

Once in Tijuana, they will be given some mechanical maintenance before taking them to their final destination in El Rosario. Specifically one of the ambulances (the one at Woddy's) has a transmission malfunction, so it will have to be fixed before driving it down.

We will keep you posted...

Antonio Muņoz
Commitment, Inc
Non-Profit Organization

BajaCactus
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 07:03 PM

Antonio, the batteries are fully charged and the rig is ready to head south. It hasn't dripped a single drop on the driveway. I'm thinking it overheated due to low tranny fluid, which has been topped off.

It's a nice addition to the stable of emergency vehicles, that's for sure!

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 08:15 PM

We appreciate your help Woody and your patience in keeping this ambulance safe while we worked out the paperwork process.

Also, thank you for helping Andy get this unit ready for moving it on Thursday.

I guess we are all set and ready to continue with this project in a couple of days.

Antonio Muņoz
Non-Profit Rescue Group

BajaCactus
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 11:55 PM

Great work and great news! If Andy can U2U me or email at accsafety@verizon.com Todd and I can donate more first aid supplies as in the past. If you're not coming up to the South Bay area maybe we can UPS them to you in San Diego? Let us know! Proud to help.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2016 at 05:59 PM

Excellent... I will pass along the message to Andy... thank you for your efforts and support!!!

Antonio Muņoz
Commitment, Inc
Non-Profit Organization

BajaCactus
Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 09:38 PM

Hello Antonio!
We met on November 5 at Baja Cactus where I and two other guys from Nashville were checking in to 3 rooms, for a two night stay. You made us feel very welcome to El Rosario! You showed us your new Ambulance that had just arrived and told us about your Hawks of the Desert. What you and your men do is outstanding! The generosity of the Oregon folks and others is great! Then, the next day we passed by your collection points several times and gave something each time. We want to do more!

Our organization had decided, in October, to involve itself in El Rosario for the next several years. We spoke a little about it with you. One of our goals is to be of benefit to the community in various ways. One way will be through medical/dental clinics we'll be holding. Another is through organizing youth activities, such as sport teams. I also think getting involved with the Hawks would be another great way to serve. One of my bosses was recently, and for several years, the Fire Chief of Nashville, Tennessee. I'd like to ask him if there would be some way that Nashville Fire could develop a relationship with the Hawks. Would this be something you'd like me to do, on your behalf?

I have plans to return to El Rosario in February and look forward to getting to know more about your work with the Hawks and see what you do and "together we can save lives!"

Frank Rosch
Nashville, TN
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 10:00 PM

Fantastic!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 10:24 PM

Hello David,

Thanks! Happy to join this discussion and group.

David, I see you have some special knowledge of Baja! In my researching El Rosario, I came across the blog of Ing. Alejandro Espinoza and learned a lot about the history of the area and the missions from him. Now I've come across another expert! I look forward to getting your mission book and discussing Baja (in English).

I like your byline "so much Baja...". I've been there 3 times this year and feel as though I was only there for the blink of an eye! I hope to spend two weeks or more in February.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 12:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Hello Antonio!
We met on November 5 at Baja Cactus where I and two other guys from Nashville were checking in to 3 rooms, for a two night stay. You made us feel very welcome to El Rosario! You showed us your new Ambulance that had just arrived and told us about your Hawks of the Desert. What you and your men do is outstanding! The generosity of the Oregon folks and others is great! Then, the next day we passed by your collection points several times and gave something each time. We want to do more!

Our organization had decided, in October, to involve itself in El Rosario for the next several years. We spoke a little about it with you. One of our goals is to be of benefit to the community in various ways. One way will be through medical/dental clinics we'll be holding. Another is through organizing youth activities, such as sport teams. I also think getting involved with the Hawks would be another great way to serve. One of my bosses was recently, and for several years, the Fire Chief of Nashville, Tennessee. I'd like to ask him if there would be some way that Nashville Fire could develop a relationship with the Hawks. Would this be something you'd like me to do, on your behalf?

I have plans to return to El Rosario in February and look forward to getting to know more about your work with the Hawks and see what you do and "together we can save lives!"

Frank Rosch
Nashville, TN

Nashville Frank, I believe you will find the Desert Hawks and Commitment Inc. to be an extremely honorable group to work with and any help is appreciated. I am retired from Fire/EMS/Director of Emergency Services and I have been able to assist them in the past and look forward to continuing with their endeavors in the future. JH
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 12:44 AM
Hi Nashville Frank!

Baja is really a magic peninsula. You can never get too much of it. I have been going there beginning in 1965, and I will die before ever seeing all there is to see... and maybe just half, at that!

While El Rosario is mostly just a fuel stop or an overnight stay for most Baja travelers, thanks to Antonio (Baja Cactus), I have found that it makes a fine destination with so much to see in do in or within an hour or two drive from El Rosario.

Antonio also hosted the first two of several Baja-Rosario Cultural Festivals and many of us on Baja Nomad supported those events. See links below.

Thank you for your interest in Baja history! I hope you enjoy my work on telling the mission story. I also write Baja Travel and History articles for Baja Bound Insurance's newsletter: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

Antonio and I first traveled to El Rosario together in 2004 (when his truck brought the new TVs for his remodeled motel rooms from the U.S. to El Rosario) and he showed me some Rosario sites. I returned with my girlfriend in a few months and explored more area sites. Antonio gave by girlfriend her Nomad handle, 'Baja Angel' and now she is my wife! Antonio has become a good friend, a brother, and there isn't enough good that can come to him for what he has done for his community and for travelers that pass through or stay in El Rosario.

For you, or anyone else interested... here are the links to a few web pages I made of some of these El Rosario attractions:

Mission, Beach, Cactus, El Camino Real: http://vivabaja.com/1104/
Mission, Beach, Hugo's art, Museum, La Lobera: http://vivabaja.com/505/
Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival 2005: http://vivabaja.com/705/
Punta Baja and coast south of El Rosario: http://vivabaja.com/1205/
El Rosario's petrified forest and La Bocana beach: http://vivabaja.com/206/
Anita (Mama) Espinoza Museum: http://vivabaja.com/406/
Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival 2006: http://vivabaja.com/706/
Viva Baja Cactus event in Tijuana 2006: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/index.html
Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival 2007: http://vivabaja.com/707/
Las Pintas Fossil Grotto 2010: http://vivabaja.com/Las%20Pintas%20Fossil%20Grotto/

Antonio and I last July. I donated my books for his fundraising efforts. They are for sale in the motel office with all proceeds going to The Desert Hawks Emergency Rescue Service.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by David K]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

Baja Nomads should get a charter bus of people to go to El Rosario when Frank is there and have some special parties. Bring stuff for a silent auction; donations of all sorts; stop at Grandpas along the way. A few short guided hikes. All inclusive price that includes an overnight at Baja Cactus, dinner party at Mama's, and a portion that goes to Desert Hawks. Mexican charter out of TJ - we could meet at the small Greyhound station near the border crossing (or better, on the SY side at the Mexicoach station). Would be a blast.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.