BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The United States Occupation of Baja California 1846-1848 (July Baja Bound Article)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 10:15 AM
The United States Occupation of Baja California 1846-1848 (July Baja Bound Article)

My article in the July edition of Baja Bound:

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/occupati...

[Edited on 9-1-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 10:47 AM

Great story, DK!!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:12 AM

Good read David! Imagine what Baja would be like if the US had taken it...lucky thing I think.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:16 AM

I am sure glad we gave it back to Mexico! There would be so much less for us to enjoy if it was fenced and paved 50+ years ago (bad enough that it is happening now)!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:40 AM

Just to be a contrarian...........

I wonder what it would look like now if the US negotiated with Mexico to keep it. Perhaps like the central and northern California, Oregon and Washington coastlines? The mess that is Tijuana wouldn't exist. Which do you prefer, TJ or San Diego?

Cabo might have been done with bit more planning. The eyesore that is Santa Rosalia would probably be a bit better.

Not sure how much it would be developed given the lack of water.

[Edited on 7-17-2016 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Just to be a contrarian...........

Not sure how much it would be developed given the lack of water.

I would guess that in northern Baja, dams (more dams) would have been built to support agriculture and human needs in the early 1900s, as was done in Alta California back then.

The central desert may not have changed much under the U.S., other than more prosperous mining, perhaps? I think it might have resembled a drive through the Mojave or Arizona deserts with small towns, abandoned mines, etc.?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Good read David! Imagine what Baja would be like if the US had taken it...

Ensenada would look like Dana Pt/Newport/Balboa Island. TJ would look like Santa Ana. BOLA would be Vegas-south. Cabo would be like Waikiki. And the whole central desert and seven sisters would be a mix of military bombing ranges and BLM land. San Felipe would still be a chithole :lol::lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 12:24 PM

Interesting, thanks DK.

I wonder if any of the Mexicans that left La Paz and San José del Cabo became well to do or powerful families in CA.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 12:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  

Good read David! Imagine what Baja would be like if the US had taken it...

Ensenada would look like Dana Pt/Newport/Balboa Island. TJ would look like Santa Ana. BOLA would be Vegas-south. Cabo would be like Waikiki. And the whole central desert and seven sisters would be a mix of military bombing ranges and BLM land.

:lol:

You're probably right. And I wouldn't be able to spend my winters in my trailer a few feet from the water on Bahia Concepcion with my boat anchored out front for $200 or so per month.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 01:32 PM

This is what I am thinking about this: The United States not only were taking away much land from Mexico by war and force. Like California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. They also occupied illegally Hawaii. And others parts of the world.
This is how the world sees the past talking about the United States of America: First there came those bad boys from Europe. Gangsters. Criminals and such. No matter if from England, Germany Ireland etc.(No one who had a good job or a good business in Europe, left) Then those bad boys killed the Indians to get more land. When most of the Indians were dead, there was nothing to kill anymore. So the bad boys killed the buffalos close to distinction. Millions of buffalos just for the fun of killing! As that was done and nothing to kill anymore, they killed each other. North against South.
Today there is nothing to kill inside the US territory, the US (Politicians) are looking at other states where they can kill somebody. For sure Saddam Hussein was not an Angel. But he had his country under control. With the Iraq war and killing tens of thousands civilians, they created ISIS. Now they are pretending to fight ISIS, killing them, the terrorist are fighting back. 9/11 and Paris and Nice and London and others like Belgium are evidence to what I am saying.
Who can be proud of that?
And name me one Mexican who is honestly saying: I love the United States People. (other than he is making business and looking after $$$)

O.K., I am awaiting a chitstorm now for posting the truth.

Back to the topic. We should be happy that Baja is Mexican territory. With the US owning this land it would be not as interesting, lovable and eager to explore - for all of us.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 01:40 PM

I know several Mexicans, well Mexican Americans, who came from Mexico that love the U.S. I have never had that discussion with a Mexican in Mexico.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I know several Mexicans, well Mexican Americans, who came from Mexico that love the U.S. I have never had that discussion with a Mexican in Mexico.

TMW, you are absolutely correct. There are hundreds, no thousand of Mexicans eager to cross the border and find a job inside the US. Those who are crossing the border illegally are the best evidence to that. And most of them finding a job (legally or not) or even setting up their own company if they are legal, will love the US. No doubt.
What I was saying is, listen to a Mexican who is talking to another Mexican about this. You might find out that I posted the truth. If you, as an US citizen, are asking a Mexican, you might not get the honest answer.
Read David K`s article in Baja bound. The Mexicans are friendly by nature. Even if occupied, they remain friendly - at first(!)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

Back to the topic. We should be happy that Baja is Mexican territory. With the US owning this land it would be not as interesting, lovable and eager to explore - for all of us.

Aren't the comparisons between the US and Baja apples/oranges? How is the area between San Diego and Seattle not interesting and explorable? Makes me think some people don't know the West Coast.

It's interesting that, with the exception of a few here, these kind of comments come from gringoes who don't live SOB. Fantasies and wistful dreaming is a great escape when you're caught up in the rat race. Fewer laws SOB balanced with rampant corruption isn't a deal.

These gringoes probably think since corruption hasn't effected them, it doesn't exist.

If Central California had warm Winters, I would be skipping Baja. And I love Baja. But I don't love it more than California.

All those unhappy folks whinning about the unfair comparisons should live full time in Baja awhile to find out if Paradise exists. Ask Dennis about living in Baja.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
How is the area between San Diego and Seattle not interesting and explorable? Makes me think some people don't know the West Coast.

I mentioned the west coast in a post above and if you are referring to me you misunderstood my post. I was thinking that if the US kept baja much of its coastline would still be a pretty and desirable place, just as much of the US coastline is. I was writing contrary to the popular opinion that baja would be ruined if owned by the US.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
This is what I am thinking about this: The United States not only were taking away much land from Mexico by war and force. Like California, Nevada, New Mexico and Texas. They also occupied illegally Hawaii. And others parts of the world.
This is how the world sees the past talking about the United States of America: First there came those bad boys from Europe. Gangsters. Criminals and such. No matter if from England, Germany Ireland etc.(No one who had a good job or a good business in Europe, left) Then those bad boys killed the Indians to get more land. When most of the Indians were dead, there was nothing to kill anymore. So the bad boys killed the buffalos close to distinction. Millions of buffalos just for the fun of killing! As that was done and nothing to kill anymore, they killed each other. North against South.
Today there is nothing to kill inside the US territory, the US (Politicians) are looking at other states where they can kill somebody. For sure Saddam Hussein was not an Angel. But he had his country under control. With the Iraq war and killing tens of thousands civilians, they created ISIS. Now they are pretending to fight ISIS, killing them, the terrorist are fighting back. 9/11 and Paris and Nice and London and others like Belgium are evidence to what I am saying.
Who can be proud of that?
And name me one Mexican who is honestly saying: I love the United States People. (other than he is making business and looking after $$$)

O.K., I am awaiting a chitstorm now for posting the truth.

This must be the most ignorant diatribe of misquoted fact, history and current events that I have ever seen here.
I won't even attempt to reply point to point.

Thanks for the mention, Mr. Lee.

[Edited on 7-17-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
How is the area between San Diego and Seattle not interesting and explorable? Makes me think some people don't know the West Coast.

I mentioned the west coast in a post above and if you are referring to me you misunderstood my post. I was thinking that if the US kept baja much of its coastline would still be a pretty and desirable place, just as much of the US coastline is. I was writing contrary to the popular opinion that baja would be ruined if owned by the US.

Wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular. Understood your post perfectly. And I agree with it. US-owned Baja would still be great.

If Cabo were more like Waikiki, I would love it even more.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 03:13 PM

And the sheeit keeps runnin' downhill. What is it, JC? Don't you read books? Are you so effing arrogant that you believe you are loved and respected for what you are, American, by luck of the draw?
Mexicans don't love Americans as a group. They are taught from pre-school that Americans are the cause of their dismal grief that in reality was, and is, the result of their own government.
They...individuals, may appreciate some Americans, not for what they are, but who they are individually.
Stop with your "I just love Mexicans" p-nut gallery crap. Buy some books. Act your place in the scheme of things.

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

And the sheeit keeps runnin' downhill. What is it, JC? Don't you read books? Are you so effing arrogant that you believe you are loved and respected for what you are, American, by luck of the draw?
Mexicans don't love Americans as a group. They are taught from pre-school that Americans are the cause of their dismal grief that in reality was, and is, the result of their own government.
They...individuals, may appreciate some Americans, not for what they are, but who they are individually.
Stop with your "I just love Mexicans" p-nut gallery crap. Buy some books. Act your place in the scheme of things.

Dennis, you forgot some important words in your post.
Like `Buy some American books´; Or, `Act your place in the American scheme of things´;
And how do you know what Mexican kids are taught in pre-school??? Well, let make me a guess: Your understanding of what is going on in this world is pre-school understanding. Right? Black and White thinking.
Lets make it clear. I do not want to be loved by folks like you. My standard are somehow higher than yours. And my friends are same. Not such crappy thinking like you. No thinking behind (horse)blinkers.
End of discussion.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 04:03 PM

I'm having to guess your understanding of Mexican Spanish es un poco...no.....mucho menos de cero, pero quién lo necesita?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-17-2016 at 05:03 PM

David,
An interesting historical note....

Seems like the invasion by us nortenos is continuing...:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.