Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: New member -Baja at Christmas
ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 05:57 AM
New member -Baja at Christmas

Good morning,

My girlfriend and I are planning a Christmas/New Years trip into Baja with our two dogs and I have a few (hundred) questions and I am open to any advice any of you wish to share. We will cross the border on Xmas day and work our way down through San Felipe, Puertecito, Gonzaga Bay, Bay of L.A. to Puerto San Francisquito before turning around and heading back through Catavina and into Guadalupe Canyon with several still unplanned stops along the way. We plan on a mixture of camping and renting casitas as we go. We will also be exploring the petroglyphs, ghost towns and missions along our trip (I have been reading a lot of David K's stuff). Here are a few of my questions-
1. The weather looks to be pleasant but I have noticed a few people say it is cold. Is tent camping out of the question on the beaches?
2. Since we will be travelling during/between two holidays should we expect more businesses to be closed? (We will have food for at least a couple of days when we cross)
3. Our dogs are large. Besides standard precautions and the permit are there any other things to consider?
4. Please share any recommended stops!
Thank you for suffering through this small book for my first post. :)

Eric
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 07:03 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Eric. Your adventure sounds like a good one. Stay tuned for a long list of suggestions.
Give lots of thought to your dogs. Hope others here will add to this.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 07:59 AM

Cool but not cold, except maybe at Cataviña (which is high desert) and is cold at night in the winter. Rain is also possible that week... Have stayed at L.A. Bay at got a lot of rain one day around Christmas/ New Years.

Guadalupe Canyon (hot springs, near Mexicali) or Guadalupe Valley (wineries and a mission, near Ensenada)?

I am happy to provide any details that I may have. As Dennis says, lots more advice will be coming down the line!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:03 AM

welcome to the sanbox Eric and pooches! Weather is a crap shoot depending on cold fronts coming down from the north. One thing to note that many people dont realize is that on the mid Pacific side, the water temps are actually warmer than the gulf side meaning it is warmer for camping on this side.

Our water temps in Bahia Asuncion are around 70 usually so the air is also warmer as we are situated with ocean all around the village. It is actually warmer here than Mulege, BOLA & Loreto! WE also have a fun expat Christmas party with potluck dinner and crazy gift exchange here you can meet our local Nomads!

Check your U2u mailbox for more details. Come on down and meet the pacside nomads!

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:23 AM

The stores/markets along your route south will be San Felipe, Gonzaga, and BOLA, gas at these locations also. You can get anything you need at these stops.
after San Francisquito (if you are heading out to Hwy 1 through El Arco) you can travel into Guerrero Negro for markets again.. then camp Pacific side.
turn west 15.6 mi south of santa rosalillita turn off. you will see on Baja Almanac a 15 mile beach road full off campsites. This is a good spot as you are also a dirt road away from mission san Borja, and a very good seafood restaurant at Rosarito.
Good times!
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:28 AM

To add...... The market at Gonzaga is a bit pricey. Typically i use it for ice or things we forgot to get in San Felipe.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:31 AM

We bring our dog food with us, even when we go south for a few months. It's more expensive and choices can be limited in Mexico. Put tags on your dogs that have a phone number you can contact. During the holiday week there will be fireworks set off at most beach side campsites. We need to keep our dogs leashed when folks are setting them off. Good leashes are required. Also, many Mexicans are really afraid of dogs. Keep that in mind and be considerate.

Chances of a flat tire are high. I once had a cactus spine go through the side wall of a truck tire. Real slow leak. Bring what you need to change a tire on loose dirt including a hefty piece of wood to put under the jack. I carry a two foot long 4x12 and it has come in handy a couple of times.

Get pesos at an ATM after you cross the border. Tell your bank you will be using the card in Mexico before you go. Best to have two ATM cards. I lost one once and it would have been a big problem if we didn't have another.

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:35 AM

Good point about tires...
Get a good electric air pump (MV-50, etc.) and a tire plug kit.
The air pump will be used more for reinflating after you need to lower the air for deep sand or rough roads than for tire repairs, hopefully.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:43 AM

Welcome aboard. I did almost the very same trip at the same time a couple years ago. Temps in the day were pleasant, the nights cool but the killer was the wind, that is the windy season down there. Las Animas is a nice protected cove for camping, it just gets kind of sandy on the road out there. I suggest skipping San Fancisquito, a pretty beach but that's about it and the people who run it now aren't really into keeping it up to the standards of the past. El Baril just to the south is a neat little town but not really much there.

As you head west across the peninsula, stay at Rancho Piedra Blanca, you can't miss it. They have 6 cabinas, a nice dinning area and great showers. It's a working ranch and when we were there we got to watch the rancheros process 8 cows that night. Not every bodies cup of tea but growing up on a farm, I was impressed at the machine that was 4 hombres and a few knives. 10 minutes west of the ranch there are some very nice petroglyphs up on a cliff too.

Have a good trip and enjoy.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 08:50 AM

You're right about the wind. I kept tract one winter month on Bahia Concepcion and about 1/3 of the days were windy, many times 3 days in a row. A windy day for me is when a regular beach chair gets blown over.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 11:46 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I second the opinions offered about temps (pleasant on the beach, cool in the hills) and the wind being a bigger possible factor.

Expect coyotes along the route you have chosen. I don't consider them a danger, but if your dogs chase them, you could have problems. Be prepared for pulling thorns and cactus spines, and keep your dogs well watered and cool them down if they are panting in the car.

The two times I have needed a veterinarian SOB, I was pleased with the skill level, and cost. If you need one, local is better than a long drive with a sick or injured pet.

I have not spent Christmas in Baja, but the three times I did on the mainland, businesses were busy, not closed during the season.

If you don't like what is left of the camp on the beach at San Francisquito, check the fishing camp at the north end of the runway. It is away from the beach, but Beto had a few spots with showers, water, and ice available (Nov 2014)

Fuel may be available along your route, but don't count on it outside of the towns you pass through!

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 12:42 PM

Welcome! We did a very similar trip a few years back, and have driven down with our two dogs numerous times since.

1) We didn't end up camping nearly as much as we expected - near Catavina, we experienced below-freezing temps at night and fierce winds along the Cortez coast are pretty routine at that time of year. We had better luck on the Pacific side for camping. That said, it's not out of the question, just bring layers and windbreakers. Fortunately quite a few hotels also allow dogs (search the forum for past lists) and they are quite affordable (typically $30-40/night).

2) SFandH made a great point about fireworks - even in small towns we are talking about hours of firecrackers etc. every night between xmas and mid-January. Our dog still hasn't forgiven us.

3) Other than that, I love bringing the dogs down. It entertains the guys at the border/military checkpoints and is a sure bet that no one will break into your car. Please do read up on past posts and make sure you have your health certificates and rabies records on hand, though hopefully no one will ask.

I second Shari's suggestions :)

How long of a trip are you guys planning? Enjoy!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 01:03 PM

Xmas / January in northern Baja can get down-right COLD; cool is nice, but I've seen it in the upper 30º's, even on the beaches. Also, if a high pressure forms over the 4-corners region of the US expect winds. I have also seen it stand up and blow for 13 days (and nights) straight. Beach tent-camping in COLD, WINDY weather is still doable, if you know what you're doing. Bring extra tie-down cords.

This isn't meant to scare you off, but appreciate one simple tactic; better to have and not need than need and not have. Load for bear, as they say. Your whole trip is in the northern country, and in some high elevations, so coats, long-ies, and heavier bags advised. Even beanies and gloves (that's toques, eh?).

Far's businesses being closed, xmas day will have some closed, and of course, the day after Amateur Night some are due to La Cruda (hangovers). Other than that, they get no paid holidays... they don't work, they don't eat. You shouldn't have any problems with supplies.

Have a safe and happy trip.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 01:09 PM

Dogs --- we always took our dogs, but we lived there part time.

1. Be sure they are on heart worm meds --- lots of heart worm especially near the border.

2. Be sure they are protected from parvo which is also common in Baja --saw too many dogs in Asuncion die from parvo and it is worse near the border. Watched too many dogs die from it when we lived in Calexico.

3. Beware of puffer fish in the Sea of Cortez --- just licking a dead one can kill a dog. Very poisonous.

4. Never worried about a Health Certificate for the dog, but had all of the shot records.

5. And as already mentioned, be careful with the coyotes. But if you have big dogs, they will probably scare them off. :-)

Maybe plan as you go and just watch the weather. We have seen it warm and nice on the Sea of Cortez side, and have also seen it cold and windy. The same for the Pacific side. There were some Decembers that were quite warm and wonderful, and some really cold --- ran up some good electric bills keeping warm.

There will be more traffic on the highway than normal so just be extra careful.

Have a great time and maybe just stay flexible as to where you go --- then again, that is the way we always travel.

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by DianaT]
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 01:55 PM

It's going to be much warmer than Colorado and you won't have to shovel the driveway. Along either shore the water temps will moderate the air temps and even if it gets cold (mid-40's) at night it will be short lived. Daytime will be mid-60 to mid-70 and quite pleasant. When camping on the Cortez shore the winds will blow from the north (if they blow) so chose your camping spot to provide some shelter. I've camped several times over Christmas/New Years and never had a problem with the weather. The previous mention of freezing nights around Catavina is worth noting, I've also seen that while camping near there. I'll also second the suggestion of staying at Piedra Blanca rather than camping at San Francisquito, but you may have to work with them on the dogs. They ended up being OK with keeping the dog on a leash and sleeping in the truck.
ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 02:44 PM

OK! So much information. Thank you all!
1. David K. We are planning on Guadalupe Canyon for the hot springs.
2. Shari. Thank you so much for the information and the invite. I think we are going to take Bajazly's advice and skip Puerto San francisquito and head to Rancho Piedra Blanco and then come see you in Bahia Asuncion. I will figure out the dates and get in touch to reserve the casita. What day will you do the pot luck do you think?
3. AKgringo. Thank you for the information about the veterinarians. That is very good to know.
4. SFandH. We will bring the dogs' food with us. Also, we have an onboard air compressor, full spare, tire plugs and sealant goo....I really hope to not need all of that. :)
5. Toronja. Thanks for the info on the hotels. We will be travelling 14 days total but only 10 days in Baja. It's a long drive back to Denver....not as long as Oregon though.
6. Bajabuddha. That is exactly some of the info. we need to know. long tent spikes and extra tie downs are on the list.
7. DianaT. Thanks for the info. on parvo. I will make sure we are covered. The dogs are already on heartworm prevention but I honestly don't know about parvo. I will check.
8. Bkbend. I will definitely keep that in mind while setting up camps on the beach. Thanks for the info on Rancho Piedra Blanco as well. We will have to figure that out.
We've travelled around the Yucatan and Riviera Maya many times but we are very excited to see Baja. Any suggestions on pacific side towns, etc. in Baja Norte?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 02:58 PM

hello and welcome!

Defintely go to asuncion and have fun with the locals. there is an awesome campground if it is not too cold - Shari will get you situated. Be sure to take a day trip and come and discover La Bocana!

I understand that you are not allowed to take back any dog food into the US. Even if it is closed and even if you bought it there!

You are in for a wonderful trip.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 03:07 PM

It's a long way from Catavina to Guadalupe hot springs. Are you planning on taking the dirt shortcuts or sticking to the pavement? What vehicle will you be in? Truck, motorhome, etc.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ericcooke  

Any suggestions on pacific side towns, etc. in Baja Norte?

Google/Google Maps Ejido Erendira (the coastline just north of there) and the campgrounds on the road out to La Bufadora, Punta Banda south of Ensenada.

[Edited on 7-19-2016 by SFandH]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 03:22 PM

What everyone else has said about cold (wimpy for CO standards) and the wind (substantial, for anyone's standards). A few years ago I camped a little north of Cataviña in November - the next morning I woke up with a layer of ice on my sleeping bag. Certainly manageable, but a little chilly. A tent with rain fly would have solved the problem.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.