BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: New member -Baja at Christmas
ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 03:39 PM

BajaBlanca. Thanks! we will add La Bocana to the list!

ehall- we will be travelling in a mildly outfitted Land Rover LR3. (lift, offroad tires, air compressor, sand traxx, etc.) We always prefer the dirt short cuts to pavement. Just seems to be more interesting. We won't go from Catavina to Guadalupe Canyon directly. We will split the drive up and explore some other things on the way. Suggestions?

Stucksucks. If we stay in the Catavina area we will decide on camping vs. hotel based on the weather.

SFand H. Thanks! I'll check those out.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 03:50 PM

14 days is a great amount of time for that trip. For reference, we went all the way from Eugene, OR to La Paz and back in ~17 days, didn't drive at night much in Baja, and didn't feel particularly rushed (except we always tend to blow through CA both down and back).

I agree with the others on trying to keep flexible dates so that you can stay and explore the places you really like and maybe skip others depending on the weather.

Definitely go see Blanca in La Bocana, and don't forget your fishing rods. Who knows, we may see you in Asuncion ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 04:42 PM

Guadalupe Hot Springs should be your first nights or you last nights in Baja, as it is so near the border.

There is a dirt route (Baja 1000 course) south from the canyon to Hwy. 5, but it may be the roughest of your whole trip and instead would suggest you go back up to Hwy. 2 and then over to 5 and San Felipe or reverse if the last nights.

LR3 driver Roy ('The squarecircle' on Nomad) has taken his Land Rover 'Winston') into the worst areas to drive in Baja!
The Widowmaker, near Mission Santa María:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 05:02 PM

We are planning on Guadalupe Canyon for our last night.

LR3s are pretty capable SUVs! Most people are just too afraid of denting or scratching them....not that I want any dents in mine either, but they're built to be used. I love those pictures.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2016 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ericcooke  
We are planning on Guadalupe Canyon for our last night.

LR3s are pretty capable SUVs! Most people are just too afraid of denting or scratching them....not that I want any dents in mine either, but they're built to be used. I love those pictures.

Roy, with help from Nomad TMW and others got his LR3 through an abandoned mine road in La Turquesa Canyon (between Gonzaga Bay and Coco's Corner) connecting Route 5 with Hwy. 1...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 06:25 AM

How cool is that?! To take your vehicle on a route that was abandoned and probably to an extent "lost".

I need to reach out to Roy to see if he has ever needed an LR mechanic in Baja. Always something good to know.
ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 06:49 AM

I just need to verify before I order it. The Baja Almanac that everyone refers to is this one- www.baja-almanac.com?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 06:56 AM

I just need to verify before I order it. The Baja Almanac that everyone refers to is this one- www.baja-almanac.com?

Yes, was published in 2009. Baja Bound had some for sale.

ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 07:17 AM

Thanks! Just ordered one from them.

I know I am not saying anything you don't already know, but the amount of inaccurate/incomplete Baja atlases and maps is impressive. I had not ordered anything because it seems all were lacking.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 08:10 AM

Thanks! Just ordered one from them.

I know I am not saying anything you don't already know, but the amount of inaccurate/incomplete Baja atlases and maps is impressive. I had not ordered anything because it seems all were lacking.

True, all maps can have errors and some even on purpose (for copyright evidence).

The 2009 Almanac has many errors, with the latitude figures wrong on several pages being the big one found after we got them in 2009. The other errors are those from INEGI (Mexico's topo map people) with the wrong names for some arroyos and bays, as an example.

2009 Almanac latitude corrections to pencil in:

On Maps 5 & 6, the latitude changes to make: All the 31º figures needs to be 30º (the minutes are fine).

On Map 7: All the 31º figures need to be changed to 29º and the one 30º figure needs to be 28º.

Map 12 [RIGHT side only] latitude figures are wrong, they should be the same numbers as on the left side.

Map 18 degree figures on both sides are wrong: the 25º figures should all be 24º, and the 26º figures should all be 25º.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 09:47 AM

How cool is that?! To take your vehicle on a route that was abandoned and probably to an extent "lost".

I need to reach out to Roy to see if he has ever needed an LR mechanic in Baja. Always something good to know.

Well Roy could have used you in Jan. He had to replace the engine when he got it home. Read about it here, near the end.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=81801
honda tom
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 08:20 AM

ericcooke....... check your U2U
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 08:56 AM

Here is the AAA map with the La Turquesa/ Squarecircle/ TW 4x4 shortcut drawn in:

[Edited on 7-21-2016 by David K]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:38 AM

The highs should be mid 60's to low 70's. The lows will be mid 50's on the coast and mid 40's inland.

Tenting is comfortable except when the winds get very strong. I've had stand up tents flatten down to my face during gusts. Wind will usually come in 3 day 'storms', the last day being the mildest. It will keep you off the water but otherwise unaffect your activity.
ericcooke

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 07:12 AM

David K- that sounded and looked like a great trip. So Roy had to completely replace an LR3 engine? I don't even want to consider the cost involved in that. Maybe I missed it but did he find out if it was a water pump failure or head gasket?
Side note: I am huge Land Rover fan but until we get the diesel versions in the states they will never be as rugged as Toyotas. Unfortunately.

BTW- I am not an LR mechanic. I was hoping he might know of any in Baja if the need arose....sounds like it needs to be towed stateside though.

Thanks for the 2009 Almanac corrections. Greatly appreciated.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 07:27 AM

Roy found a new engine (or rebuilt?) sitting in a warehouse, as I recall his story... Roy reads Nomad, but his computer gives him fits. I will give him a phone call this weekend and get the details for you... unless 'The squarecircle' himself responds here!

Roy getting lunch ready, near Valle de Trinidad, 2006.

Before the LR3, Roy had a customized 4Runner that was unstoppable.
Here we are in front of our vehicles... after doing pit support at the 2006 Baja 500.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 10:01 AM

Yes Roy got the replacement engine at a good price. I think installed his cost was in the 3-4 thousand range. Problem with old engine was a leaking water hose near top rear of the engine. We never saw it with the cover off. The replacement engine had less miles then the bad one.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-24-2016 at 06:23 AM

BajaBlanca. Thanks! we will add La Bocana to the list!

ehall- we will be travelling in a mildly outfitted Land Rover LR3. (lift, offroad tires, air compressor, sand traxx, etc.) We always prefer the dirt short cuts to pavement. Just seems to be more interesting. We won't go from Catavina to Guadalupe Canyon directly. We will split the drive up and explore some other things on the way. Suggestions?

Stucksucks. If we stay in the Catavina area we will decide on camping vs. hotel based on the weather.

SFand H. Thanks! I'll check those out.

Another couple dirt roads. About 10 miles south of San vicente, very scenic road to valle de trinidad. From valle t go west for about 30 miles. Just before ojos negros go north passing thru the forest and by laguna hanson and end up in la rumorosa. Another very nice drive.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 07:14 AM

I always travel with a full sized spare (my SUV has a stupid donut). I like to get pesos from my bank - good exchange rate, a $7.50 shipping charge. Personally I don't like putting my ATM card in the machines down there. Bring your dog's vaccine records for crossing back into the USA. I never get asked, but just in case... I'm sure you already heard the drill for FMMs, Mexican insurance, etc. A passport is mandatory. You can get a pet health certificate from the AVID site, (I know I know this is not "kosher" I fill it in myself and print it out, saves me about $150). But we have only ever been asked for it the one time we flew into Loreto with our dog. Have fun planning, you have lots of time.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.