BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11
Author: Subject: New Locked gate coming.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 08:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Some roads are shown as just a string of dots (trails) instead of thin lines. At some point you leave the Santo Domingo River canyon to get to Santa Cruz if going up... Can you see any ranch names that are along your road?

Here is the map with the three places named, circled... and blue arrows along possible routes between them...

It looks like Rancho San Juan.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Here in the USA, I always support bans of ORVs from public lands. ORV operators don't respect the land, and don't respect other users of the land. Best they be confined to limited ORV lands, like Glamis, where they can only hurt themselves, and the sand dunes self-repair the wheel ruts.
Dont label all off roaders as not caring Slime ball MT66.Your Rants about what you do in in the US. Have no business here in Baja. Even from slime balls in San Deigo.If you want to state Where all the same,you will be called out Slime ball. With me bringing Attention to off road problems in Baja,this is just a few.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 09:12 AM

Here is a GE image of the area with the 2007 B1K route in light green. The dark green to Santa Cruz and up to the Observatory Rd at marker 1 is a section used in the Baja 500/1000 races before Baja Dark Skies closed the road thru their place.

I changed the red to white for DK.

[Edited on 7-20-2016 by TMW]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 09:45 AM

Wow, times have changed...we drove the road to Portrero,Santa Cruz, and Vallardes in 1989....the first part south to Santa Cruz from the OBS road was pretty sketchy in places but passable...the drive down the canyon to Vallardes though was overgrown with 6-8 foot willow trees and other brush, couldn't see the road in places.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 02:00 PM

The road from Vallardes,after any big rain is washed away. Dirt bike only,till they get the bulldozer out every year.It is passable now,If no gates. If you get down below then rancho in Question. TMW the route from J pin down Is the way I go,But Its not showing other road Up.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 03:25 PM

Here are some more trails I traced
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 04:15 PM

Where you have nothing marked (Going up Vicente Wash) East that's the route we take. Back to top Rancho OLD Santa Cruz,that is another hot spot. Right after that going west is new rancho Santa Cruz Hot Spring. That guy is cool. If you remember,the fight at Old Rancho Santa Cruz. The owner did not pay his help, The help (man and wife) refused to leave. That went on for 7 years before they left.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 05:21 PM

I was told years ago about a hot spring at Valladares (or near it)... Never anything published about it I was aware of.
Is that what you are calling the New Rancho Santa Cruz Hot Spring?
Is it soakable?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 07:26 PM

HAAAA David yes he has a hot spring.Here is the problem.He asked me years ago.Can I get riders to stay (Sleep over get Fed). I told him yes,one cond. The Hot spring he has,(Dirt pool) is sooo big the water is not hot. So I told him I will buy the blocks/cement. If you will build small hot spring pool (the water is hot coming out of the ground.) Well sad to say that was few years ago. He lost interest. This new rancho you can see on south side of road.The old Santa Cruz rancho, you cant see from road.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:24 AM

I've added more trails in white.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:25 AM

Where on the maps/images is the locked gate.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Yes Larry, do you have the GPS for it and then Tom or I can put the location on the paper map. Also, the hot spring location, too (or near it)... Thanks!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 05:16 PM

I've added more trails in white.

Ok TMW the white track up wash when it gets to second Y you hit main dirt road goes north or south If you keep going to Observatory road Metal locked gate (White or yellow) Now back track going to santa cruz half way there is rancho in question. As soon as I get name of rancho I hope you can pull it up on GPS tracks.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes Larry, do you have the GPS for it and then Tom or I can put the location on the paper map. Also, the hot spring location, too (or near it)... Thanks!
David sorry you missed my top post. I dont use GPS I wish I did,to give you way points. Some of the other guys I ride with use GPS,I will see if I can get tracks for you guys. Or better yet I will take you there are you ready,when it cools down
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 06:06 PM

No, I read it way back when... then I forgot you said no GPS. LOL
So, the topo road map does not look familiar to you? You said above maybe Rancho San Juan... which is in the Santo Domingo Canyon where one of the arrowed roads comes down from Santa Cruz to it, using Canyon Arroyo Hondo (as labeled on the map).

TW and I just want to help you show the road with the locked gate so anyone else won't go miles and miles only to find a dead end caused by gating a once open road.

How does this look? (Rancho San Juan circled, and possible route withy blue arrows)

Can you describe where the gate is?

[Edited on 7-22-2016 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 06:17 PM

I am game for it when it cools a little. I've been talking to the Roy, Nomad Squarecircle, about doing a trip down Baja way. I still want to get back east of El Socorro but south of the Visita San Isidoro turn off. There are some trails I did years ago that I want to see where they are now so I can trace them on GE.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 06:39 PM

I've added pin marks with numbers. Larry can you locate the pin closest to where the gate might be. Maybe between two pins.

[Edited on 7-22-2016 by TMW]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 07:27 AM

I've added pin marks with numbers. Larry can you locate the pin closest to where the gate might be. Maybe between two pins.

[Edited on 7-22-2016 by TMW]
It looks like pin 9 . It is a oven up there now,maybe by Nov Im game.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 10:01 AM

Pin 9 (red arrow) is where the locked gate is???

Looks like on the map, at least two other routes to Mission Santo Domingo from Santa Cruz than the road through San Juan (SJ on Tom's map) that would go around the gate, yes?

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 10:53 AM

I know of one other route I have not done over 20years. Its not 4x4 route was plowed over by other rancho. On my bike I can recon all routes.So when you and TMW get here,we wont waist time on no go routes.Please give me plenty of advance notice. I have done many more mods to the Nissan Diesel. For 4x4 trails ready to go.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.