Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diesel Advice
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:17 AM

Unless you are towing something north of 7.5k lbs, I dont think I could justify buying a post 2010 diesel truck. The gas trucks have gotten better and better mileage, while the smogged diesels have remained the same or gotten a bit worse. It takes too much fuel savings to make up for the premium that diesels carry in sales prices; though a used truck probably minimizes this, somewhat.

Diesel is still more expensive than gasoline in most (but not all) states.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 09:37 AM

Hook, I agree 100%, finding a gas 3/4 ton is not easy! The reason for the post is to figure out if I might think about getting a diesel. There are 3 to 4 times more diesels out there then gas.
Thank everybody for the answers.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Hook, I agree 100%, finding a gas 3/4 ton is not easy! The reason for the post is to figure out if I might think about getting a diesel. There are 3 to 4 times more diesels out there then gas.
Thank everybody for the answers.

you must not live in California...there are more gas 3/4 tons for sale there and texas too...

I've been looking...price doubles for a diesel (almost)

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-21-2016 at 10:24 PM

I am in a place in my life that I can afford a truck for baja. I drive a lot for work and own/drive a Honda and a Ford most days. The truck doesn't fit in the toybox so it sits in the driveway. If you are suffering from truck envie that's your issue.

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I am looking for a new truck to take to Baja. What I am looking for is a 3/4 4X4 ton 8 foot bed truck. I don't much care if it's a Dodge, a Ford or a GM. I have no issues with Toyota but I want a 3/4 ton truck. It will mostly be a driveway queen.

What's a driveway queen? Sounds like you want a truck so the neighbors can see your truck. What's that all about?

no truck envy here! i hate driving trucks! too big to park, too wide to drive comfortably. i pay people to do the trucking, while i drive something more enjoyable! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 07:17 AM

Your too stupid to drive a truck,question is how did you get a license. :?:
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

no truck envy here! i hate driving trucks! too big to park, too wide to drive comfortably. i pay people to do the trucking, while i drive something more enjoyable! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A truck of some flavor is a necessary tool for Baja - what if your Yugo breaks down in 7 Sisters ?

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 08:53 AM

Goatley travels in a Palinquin, carried by coolies...More greener...Coolies wear Birkenstocks to avoid injuring the flora..

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 09:38 AM

MMc go to http://www.autotrader.com/

Put in what you are looking for and see what comes up. I did a search for a Ford F250 4x4 for under $35,000 2010 or newer with in 300 miles and a lot trucks popped up.

[Edited on 7-22-2016 by TMW]
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 10:59 AM

I think that's a smart decision. As when I got my new Dodge 4x4 diesel in 1996. I used it for pulling 40ft house trailers.Never had any problems with this bad boy,but hardly use it anymore. I only keep it now,so when my little 4x4 trucks get stuck. It is able to pull them out.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2016 at 04:49 PM

My Dodge diesel has pulled out my stuck Bronco/Toyota race truck/Nissan Diesel/And everybody else in town. If it gets stuck its D9 time.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 11:41 AM

Well thanks all. I was concerned about having a diesel sit and run it around town on the weekends looks like I don't have much to worry about. Now I just need to find the right truck.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.