BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: New rules for permanent residents driving U.S. plated cars?
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:02 AM
New rules for permanent residents driving U.S. plated cars?

There are rumors of permanent residents driving U.S.-plated vehicles in Baja Sur having their vehicles confiscated.

Any truth to these stories?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:09 AM

Never heard of this
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:17 AM

Yes, its true. A new law (maybe not in effect @ this time, but coming) tells that ANY foreign plated car can only drive 3 month in Mexico. How will they check those 3 month? No idea. Possible with the temporary importation you should have issued the day of border crossing. That is not practiced on a regular base, but mandatory. Every car crossing the border must be temporary imported. At the border they have no capability / personal to do that job of importation of every car.
>>> in Mexico everything works --- but nothing the way it should.
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:24 AM

But there are no temporary import permits in Baja, right?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by john68  
There are rumors of permanent residents driving U.S.-plated vehicles in Baja Sur having their vehicles confiscated.

Any truth to these stories?

Truth? You're asking whether ''rumors'' are true?

This rumor has been around for years and you are hearing about it now? Don't worry. Be happy.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by john68  
But there are no temporary import permits in Baja, right?

Wrong. Every car, every trailer, every RV - according to the law - must be temporary imported the moment of the border crossing. That`s the law. The practice is different. At the border they do not have the capability nor the personal to enforce that law. Nor can they afford to have 8(?) hours of waiting time or the space for parking an waiting. So, no temporary importation is tolerated. But any law enforcement officer on the street or at your camp site, can ask for the importation.
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:45 AM

Are you sure about that?

Unless there is a recent change, BC, BCS and the northern part of Sonora have never required a temporary import permit.

https://www.mexicomike.com/livebetter/car_permit.htm
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:45 AM

Please show us the law......

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 09:52 AM

Tequila hysteria. Leave the worms in their can.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

those who know nothing about it, who are not contributing anything to the headline are posting just the regular BS - as always. That`s the way to post 10.000 posts or more. Nothing to say but BS.
@ Terry 28: It`s not my job to do that. Sorry. My knowledge comes from a good friend of mine working at the TJ customs office. That is good enough for me to believe in.
But more that that, I know from the owner of the Oasis Park, Leon Nolet, in Mulege that he was enforcing temporary importation of every vehicle in his park. Residents had to drive to Santa Rosalia, go the customs office, filing for temporary importation, filling out documents, giving the customs agent a ride to Mulege > and back of course < that the agent could look at the object and put some sticker on it. And pay for !!
How is that possible without a law??????? Give yourself the answer.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

those who know nothing about it, who are not contributing anything to the headline are posting just the regular BS - as always. That`s the way to post 10.000 posts or more. Nothing to say but BS.
@ Terry 28: It`s not my job to do that. Sorry. My knowledge comes from a good friend of mine working at the TJ customs office. That is good enough for me to believe in.
But more that that, I know from the owner of the Oasis Park, Leon Nolet, in Mulege that he was enforcing temporary importation of every vehicle in his park. Residents had to drive to Santa Rosalia, go the customs office, filing for temporary importation, filling out documents, giving the customs agent a ride to Mulege > and back of course < that the agent could look at the object and put some sticker on it. And pay for !!

again not all posted by jc43 is correct...
I was talking to the customs people in tj in January...first hand information

baja is still considered a free zone and no temporary import permits are required...yet...they will be later

they will only import 2007 to 2012 cars at this time
if your car is in this range you should import it...
if not in this range of years you cant import it

until the customs laws change all you need is to have the car registered and have insurance on it if it newer than a 2007

immigration and customs are separate parts of the government

a permanent resident actually doesn't even need to live in baja...amazing to me

this is first hand information not second hand...i'll be the first to import when the rules change...i'll save $$$

i'll be talking to some people in los angeles about importing and tourism week after next...maybe they will find me the answer

currently baja a still a free zone and no temporary permits are needed except for boats over 15 feet

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:12 PM

JC43 brings up an interesting point regarding what areas are import free zones. I went to and searched the official aduanas website, under customs, vehicles and TIPs. The only free zone mentioned is part of Sonora as shown on a map. BC and BCS are not mentioned as being exempt.

We seem to get a fair amount of misinformation from various US based Mexican auto insurance companies; I searched many online and all said the Baja peninsula was exempt.

What I discovered sure changes the picture in what so many of us have assumed and practiced.

It would be interesting to read some constructive input on this revelation. I simply googled aduanas Mexico and found their site the first one.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:22 PM

DENNIS! JC43 is putting you and I in the same category! How does THAT feel brother? I would like actually have a name put to the person that had their car seized. This rumor has been around a long time...

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:28 PM

I know from the owner of the Oasis Park, Leon Nolet, in Mulege that he was enforcing temporary importation of every vehicle in his park. Residents had to drive to Santa Rosalia, go the customs office, filing for temporary importation, filling out documents, giving the customs agent a ride to Mulege > and back of course < that the agent could look at the object and put some sticker on it. And pay for !!

That's a rotten thing to do, why was he doing that? And to the people who are paying him to live there no less.

[Edited on 7-23-2016 by SFandH]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:32 PM

Gosh JC43 - lighten up!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

baja is still considered a free zone and no temporary import permits are required...yet...they will be later

I can't see them expecting someone going to Ensenada for a day or a weekend to get a TIP. If anything they'll implement a rule like in Sonora where if you go past a certain point you'll need one. The BC/BCS state line would make sense.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:48 PM

Please share whatever you're smoking. Too many people with a lot of knowledge of Baja to believe what you're saying. Sorry.

Remain calm, keep vaping, carry on.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 12:58 PM

JC43 is a wealth of misinformation..

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
JC43 is a wealth of misinformation..

Prairie Dog, do you have to say anything to the headline?
No? Than crawl back into your burrow.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2016 at 02:15 PM

Try reading.....better yet try posting facts instead of hearsay....

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.