BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: The Devil's Road - A feature documentary we're making about Baja and some of the first scientists to explore it.
Subjectruin

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 06:44 PM

Apologies if this ignited an argument, that wasn't the intention at all. The claims we make toward the end of our Isla Raza episode aren't meant to be divisive or controversial, they represent the general scientific consensus surrounding the issue.

Observations in the Gulf suggest that anthropogenic climate change is at least partially responsible for the disruption of the sensitive ecosystem found on Isla Raza. We're doing our best to approach the situation scientifically, just like Nelson and Goldman did over 100 years ago. No conscious political motives on our part.

Sorry to open any old wounds!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 06:52 PM

I was seconding the the Tee shirt idea. I already put my money up.

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I dig the logo :yes:...make up some T-shirts!

Subjectruin, I am sorry for the way this post is about to go. Some of us have special causes that set us off. The world getting warmer or colder is one of DK's. He denies it and about 10 folks buying it. Welcome to the board/ sandbox, there will sand flying soon, Sorry!

lol..whats that got to do with making T-shirts! you know they ARE requesting contributions, starting at 10 bucks.
I think I made a mistake here:(

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-26-2016 at 07:33 PM

I can make you some shirts. if you're interested click the U2U button on the top right.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:52 AM

What kind of motos will you use to make this.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 09:04 AM

I'm in for a couple. Navy blue, small logo left front, large logo on the back

I dig the logo :yes:...make up some T-shirts!
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 11:47 AM

A T-shirt with color logo would be super cool, although I understand many colors = many dollars. What bajaguy said - small on front, large on back.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
A T-shirt with color logo would be super cool, although I understand many colors = many dollars. What bajaguy said - small on front, large on back.

It makes little sense to me. Why is hwy 1 the "devil's road?" It seems like a pretty pleasant hwy to me: Great country, beautiful scenery, great places to visit.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 06:16 PM

A summer trip on the highway 110 years ago was probably a bit 'Hellish'!

That is what this thread is about, retracing some of that route.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:01 PM

La Bocana, BCS did not even exist! Abreojos did, probably due to ships and danger of getting grounded???

What a wonderful project. On your way down, stop by and I will make you lunch. We are 1.5 hours south of Asuncion and 30 min. north of Abreojos.

I am going to forward the link to friends to see if I can drum up some financial support.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Subjectruin

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:34 PM

Awesome, I'll definitely make another post once we get some T-shirts made up, glad you guys are into them.

BajaBlanca - Thanks so much for the offer! I believe our route takes us right through Abreojos, so maybe we'll see you during our March-April 2017 main expedition.

mtgoat666 - Here is our blog post about why the film is called The Devil's Road: http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/2016/5/25/why-the-name-the-...

bajatrailrider - The current plan is to use Kawasaki KLR650's

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2016 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Subjectruin  
Awesome, I'll definitely make another post once we get some T-shirts made up, glad you guys are into them.

BajaBlanca - Thanks so much for the offer! I believe our route takes us right through Abreojos, so maybe we'll see you during our March-April 2017 main expedition.

mtgoat666 - Here is our blog post about why the film is called The Devil's Road: http://brokenwagonfilms.com/blog/2016/5/25/why-the-name-the-...

bajatrailrider - The current plan is to use Kawasaki KLR650's
How neat what a great project,Im interested.:)
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-28-2016 at 04:57 AM

Cool project. Sounds like alot of fun.
Subjectruin

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 07:31 PM
The Devil'sRoad Episode 2: Isla San Martin

We just released Episode 2 of this project, this time focusing on Isla San Martin. You can watch it here.

Also, last time I posted there was some interest in T-shirts. We now have a store set up on our website with some cool designs, check it out!

[Edited on 11-4-2016 by Subjectruin]

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 08:39 PM

More?!?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:05 PM

Your 2nd episode very briefly mentioned the changes since 1905. I think you are missing the boat with isla San Martin. The changes in sea life since 1905 are extreme. Bivalves in the area were severely overfished for decades, until they original stock are all but gone. The relentless commercial fishing has totally changed the fish stock. There is extensive literature on this. The story of the shore is the story underwater. The barren area above water has not changed much since 1905. Perhaps the bird life has been effected,... but the story of change lies below the sea, where the majority of biomass resides in Baja.
Subjectruin

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 09:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Your 2nd episode very briefly mentioned the changes since 1905. I think you are missing the boat with isla San Martin. The changes in sea life since 1905 are extreme. Bivalves in the area were severely overfished for decades, until they original stock are all but gone. The relentless commercial fishing has totally changed the fish stock. There is extensive literature on this. The story of the shore is the story underwater. The barren area above water has not changed much since 1905. Perhaps the bird life has been effected,... but the story of change lies below the sea, where the majority of biomass resides in Baja.

You're certainly right about the underwater world, but the focus of our documentary is on retracing the steps of two scientists who traveled there in 1905. Their work was primarily about the plants and land animals of the mainland peninsula, and only traveled to a handful of islands. They specifically called out a few species on San Martin, so our film focuses on those.

That said, depletion of fish stock and other issues relating to marine life in Baja are extremely important, and we will definitely touch on those at other points in our documentary. For example, in our upcoming episode about Isla Magdalena, we touch on the history of sea turtle and shark fishing in Bahia Magdalena.

[Edited on 11-4-2016 by Subjectruin]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 11:44 PM

Thank you for your work and remain focused on the purpose of it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 07:41 AM

Thank you guys for your hard work pictures great job.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 09:41 AM

Very interesting, thanks.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I think the opening music in your trailer sounds like Peruvian flute music, is it Mexican?

You say your doing homage trip via motorcycles? I don't see how naturalists on horse back and motorcycles mix. Just my world view. But some of the motorcyclists probably think they are congruent. Would be more interesting if you redid the trip via horse. It's still an adventure to go on foot, not much of an adventure to do it by motorcycle.

Or by foot like Graham Macintosh!

bacquito
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.