Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: LS Diesel
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-19-2017 at 02:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I have yet to come across someone "real" that has said..."yup I burned Mexican diesel and my engine broke down"

lots of talk on the internet about what will happen but no real people saying THIS is what happened

jz is the first "real" person to say he had blew a "code"

remember ulsd is used to reduce emissions for the manufacturer...they can NEVER say another diesel fuel wil burn in the truck or they pay a fine to the epa

don't you think those farmers in north Dakota and Kansas put that "red diesel" in their trucks...hell yea

if you leave your tank empty here in south baja you'll get moisture in your fuel for sure and unless you have a water separator installed your truck will run terrible

your info is a bit old. in the usa most (all?) off-road (red) diesel is now ultra-low sulfur.
btw, don't get caught running red diesel in your on-road autos, the fines aint cheap.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2017 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I have yet to come across someone "real" that has said..."yup I burned Mexican diesel and my engine broke down"

lots of talk on the internet about what will happen but no real people saying THIS is what happened

jz is the first "real" person to say he had blew a "code"

remember ulsd is used to reduce emissions for the manufacturer...they can NEVER say another diesel fuel wil burn in the truck or they pay a fine to the epa

don't you think those farmers in north Dakota and Kansas put that "red diesel" in their trucks...hell yea

if you leave your tank empty here in south baja you'll get moisture in your fuel for sure and unless you have a water separator installed your truck will run terrible

your info is a bit old. in the usa most (all?) off-road (red) diesel is now ultra-low sulfur.
btw, don't get caught running red diesel in your on-road autos, the fines aint cheap.

And the OEM fuel filters have built in water separators including a sensor to notify you of excessive water and the need to drain the filter.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-19-2017 at 05:20 PM

Dyed diesel and reg diesel are sameo..Dyed is cheaper because "Road and luxury" taxes are not added. Every now and then dyed diesel gets into old smokey...he don't care.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 06:08 AM

I still haven't seen a "real" person have a diesel fail using PEMEX diesel

do you know anybody that has been continually using Mex low sulfur in an ultra low sulfur engine?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 06:09 AM

Your point is still muddy. When you go into a fueling station in Baja, they have ONE kind of Diesel. SO? How do you feel that anyone has a choice? Here in Farm/Ranch country we do have a choice. Regular, Biofuel, Dyed....Pay your money and make your choice. No one spends a lot of time looking over their shoulders for the Black Helicopters of "The Man".....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 06:24 AM

you are missing my point...maybe I wasn't clear enough

you are being lead like sheep by "the man"

you can use "crappy" diesel in your truck ...
it just isn't good for the "air quality"

think about it...don't trust "the man"

Susan,
What ignorance! Decreased sulfur in fuel makes for cleaner burning fuel and better air quality. The science and engineering is real. where do you dunderheads get this nonsense?
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 06:48 AM

Sulfur is used in diesel fuel to lubricate the pump and injectors. It also produces sulfur dioxide emissions that contribute to acid rain. A reduced level of sulfur was necessary with the introduction of catalytic and NOx emissions equipment.

Using LSD will not hurt your engine. Over time it will foul your emissions equipment, specifically the catalytic converter and particulate filter. For my Dodge those two replacement parts are $3500 and $2000 respectively. Plus labor.

Initially the engine management system will try to adjust by using more DEF to burn off the particulates but that will not remove the contamination from the excess sulfur. As the filter becomes more fouled it will restrict the exhaust with a reduction in performance and eventually a check engine light. Nowadays, all emission codes are stored and can be recalled by the dealer or an inspection agency. Something to consider if your truck is registered in a State with emissions testing like Calif where they just plug into the truck's computer and look for any codes.

If you own a diesel you should know how to drain excess water from the fuel filter. The instructions have been in the owner's manual for both my Ford (97) and Dodge (2010). It's about as difficult as checking the oil. A bit more of a mess though as the water / diesel will drain out on the ground. I usually carry a spare filter also but the quality of Pemex fuel is good enough that I have never needed to use it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 09:29 AM

water will only be a problem for people that keep their tank empty...keep it full and you wont have a water issue

Water also comes from poorly designed or maintained filling stations. Trust me, I know!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
...Over time it will foul your emissions equipment, specifically the catalytic converter and particulate filter. For my Dodge those two replacement parts are $3500 and $2000 respectively. Plus labor...

I would shop around...I've been looking at new trucks and these parts can be had for 500-600 dollars installed

I don't need to shop for anything for my truck...

The cheap replacements are not legal or certified to meet the OEM standards so no-go in Calif. Calif's anti-tampering law prohibits the use of non-OEM parts unless they have received a special exemption allowing their use as a replacement part. The CARB has a database for legal replacement converters. A quick search showed no legal aftermarket converters for any Chevy, Dodge or Ford late model (post 2009) diesel trucks.

Buyer beware.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 10:17 AM

Kalifornia..pffft

Shadowman

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am still not sure if I am risking damage to my
MB 250.
I guess I will talk to the dealer.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2017 at 02:22 PM

Smart move..

karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Sulfur is used in diesel fuel to lubricate the pump and injectors. It also produces sulfur dioxide emissions that contribute to acid rain. A reduced level of sulfur was necessary with the introduction of catalytic and NOx emissions equipment.

Using LSD will not hurt your engine. Over time it will foul your emissions equipment, specifically the catalytic converter and particulate filter. For my Dodge those two replacement parts are $3500 and $2000 respectively. Plus labor.

Initially the engine management system will try to adjust by using more DEF to burn off the particulates but that will not remove the contamination from the excess sulfur. As the filter becomes more fouled it will restrict the exhaust with a reduction in performance and eventually a check engine light. Nowadays, all emission codes are stored and can be recalled by the dealer or an inspection agency. Something to consider if your truck is registered in a State with emissions testing like Calif where they just plug into the truck's computer and look for any codes.

If you own a diesel you should know how to drain excess water from the fuel filter. The instructions have been in the owner's manual for both my Ford (97) and Dodge (2010). It's about as difficult as checking the oil. A bit more of a mess though as the water / diesel will drain out on the ground. I usually carry a spare filter also but the quality of Pemex fuel is good enough that I have never needed to use it.

Not an issue with a modern diesel. Does your truck not have regen?
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 07:58 PM

Susan,
What ignorance! Decreased sulfur in fuel makes for cleaner burning fuel and better air quality. The science and engineering is real. where do you dunderheads get this nonsense?

California,apparently. Also fined for using "wrong" diesel. Laughable.
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2018 at 08:00 PM

Susan,

California,apparently. Also fined for using "wrong" diesel. Laughable.

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 01:11 PM

According to one of the last posts on the Baja Pony Express all of Baja now has ULSD.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.