sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 02:03 PM
Inflatable?

Planning to spend a few months on the Cortez side, thought
of an inflatable for dinking around, a little fishing. Am somewhat
familiar with the boats, Caribe, West Marine, etc. Not looking
to chase tuna, just puttering around. Any opinions? I assume
in the 10' length, 15 hp. Any limitations to a beach launch?
Any thing to look for? I assume a
ridgid hull is beneficial. I see them on craigs list
thanks for your time
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 02:48 PM

PVC inflatables don't last long, Hypalon can last a long time. Newer or brand new is obviously the best since they do fall apart in the sun. Small enough to load yourself meaning boat 100lbs high pressure bottom or aluminum floor inflatable between 9-14 with rear big sand flip down wheels works well and a 15 hp (under 90lbs) is great. 2 stroke is much lighter but noisy and smoke is irritating as opposed to 4 stroke and you can certainly enjoy a 8-10 hp too. There are newer simple cheap PVC 9 foot boats with simple small 8hp motors that are very light and simple to put in and out but bring the big beach wheels. If you have access to a launch ramp or marina and trailer go bigger. You may find that all in it'll cost 5-6k and you got load it too. So consider kayak scrambler or SUP too or why not get a real boat aluminum or small whaler or just pay to rent or go out on pangas? Have fun

Here's a friend driving my high pressure floor Zodiac MKII boat near cerralvo

and the dog relaxing on the bow

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by gnukid]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 03:22 PM

I have consistently run a 14' Achilles Runabout with a 9.9 Yamaha, both 2 stroke and 4 since the late '90's. It's been as far as 10 miles offshore, landed 56+ lb. rooster, sizable yellers, one big manta (released of course), and I still own it, and love it. For the price and quality I stand by Achilles; used them when river guiding also... had a 14' self-bailer that would run anything.

Far's engine size, I tried a 15 hp and would've been nice but with a spinal fracture a 9.9 is all I could barely schlepp around by myself... 30(?) lb. weight difference. I recommend if you go inflatable, have one with seats, and above all OARS that batten down. Soft floor with inflatable keel is a plus, segmented hard-floor insert, aluminum or marine ply.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 04:20 PM

I have many, many hours at the tiller of my Zodiacs, and they are great for what I did with them. I car topped, or de-flated and packed them to go fishing or hunting somewhere that I did not want to pull a trailer. Some things to consider are;

The soft hull and inflatable keel requires more horse power to get on step than a ridged hull. 15 hp is ok for a lightly loaded boat, but you will probably be plowing slowly if you have several people and some large fish, and there is water under the floor board.

They are a wet boat! Launching, running in choppy water, leaky scuppers or small holes in the bottom will take on water while drifting or trolling slowly. The remedy is to get on step and let the water run out the scuppers (see hp requirement).

Don't pull a large fish into the boat unless it is clubbed into submission, or hog tied! I pulled a 120 pound halibut in that had been shot twice, and it still caused problems half way to shore!

Depending on how tight your boat is inflated, you will want to let some air out if it is going to be sitting in the sun on the beach. That goes for the keel also!

The launch wheels are great, but I have seen the wind flip a MKII with a 40 hp that was left on the beach, stern to the wind. Things broke!

If the surf is up when you need to beach your rubber ducky, don't wait for the calm between sets, you will get hammered! Cruise up and down the beach until you can follow a large wave in, let it collapse under you while tilting the motor. Hopefully your fishing partner is ready to jump out with the bowline as soon as you touch sand and keep the boat straight while the next wave pushes you to the high water mark.

I sure had a lot of fun with that boat!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 06:39 PM

I had a 12ft achilles with a 25hp two stroke. It was lots of fun. I hauled it in my plane so I had a boat with me.
Coolest trip was flying into Bola and launching it be the end of the short runway. It was fun. Got all the way to Puerto Don Juan which I probably wouldn't try again.
I think I will try again with a 14ft with a 25 on it.
Seats and steering would be great as the tiller steering position is very awkward and uncomfortable. It will wear your arm out quick.
They are a bit awkward for fishing too. But still fun.
Very good for casual cruising and diving.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 07:54 PM

Basic rule of whitewater; the smaller the boat, the bigger the waves. Judge your purchase accordingly. One thing about a 14 +- inflatable is you'll get spanked but you won't get sunk (if you know what you're doing). If, as you say you want to do inshore and not-too-far-out cruising, they're incredibly versatile. A friend showed me how to build an A-frame trailer out of 1" square-stock steel and wheel barrow tires; still have it and still functional after several years, and with a small ATV 4x4 you can launch ANYWHERE at any tide. Boat, motor size all comparable with # of pac's and gear. Love 'em, have fun.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 08:03 PM

I've got a 12' Avon for sale if you're interested. No motor.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 09:45 AM

PVC boats are great and much cheaper than hypalon boats (Avon, Achilles). PVC boats cannot handle extended periods on the beach in the sun. If you get a PVC boat ...keep it out of the sun, except when on the water (of course).
I've switched to an aluminum bayrunner boat now.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 12:29 PM

Avon sold!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.