Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 10:19 PM

matt johnson.....
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 10:45 PM

Cool video.

This made me look up Jan-Michael Vincent. Apparently, he's had drug and alcohol problems, is down and out, and has had two amputations on his leg:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2824218/The-tragic-d...

What a waste.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 05:20 AM

We ran into those guys in Mulege that year. They where on their way down to SB. We where on our way north after a Petacalco/Tip trip:cool:.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 07:16 AM

:coolup::coolup::cool up:
:bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 08:58 AM

Everyone has their demons. Surfing alleviates those demons for a bit. Cool vid.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 10:06 AM

That's what it's all about.

I'll never forget arriving at a spot in Baja back when I was 20 and pulling out a quarter ounce of kind bud from the glove compartment.

We saw some trippy lights out in the ocean that night, camping at 4th point.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 10:34 AM

Great video! Not many from that time period, especially filmed by surfers. Reminds me of my trips to K-38 from OB in the 70s. What an adventure.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 12:27 PM

you guys ever surf K55 when it used to be good? My girlfriend's mom and dad would take us down when I was in 10th-11th grade, 1981-2. Campo Lopez was good occasionally as well.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 01:21 PM

In the winter of 1964 (iwas 17) my brother, a friend and I bought two surf boards in SoCal on our way down to Manzanillo on the mainland.

Everything we knew about surfing was learned from The Beach Boys, and surf movies of the day! The first time in the water was on bays with not much in the way of swells, but lots of shore break! We thrashed ourselves trying to learn on beaches fit only for skim boards, but we were the only ones there.

At least we looked cool heading home tanned, blond bushy hair, and surfboards on the top of a 56 Chevy! I never did learn to surf well, I decided I liked my waves frozen, and have been skiing ever since.

I was inspired to post this, because the friend, and owner of the 56 Chevy, passed away yesterday on his 71st birthday. We have stayed in touch all these years!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 01:28 PM

Now, that is cool AK!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 01:39 PM

Very cool!!! My son and 2 friends hung out at Punta Paquena for 3 weeks surfing after graduating from Law School back in about 1987. It was a memory they will NEVER forget, and richly deserved!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Now, that is cool AK!

Thanks DK. After posting that reply, I drove to town and encountered a beautifully preserved, or restored, 56 Chevy. Different color, but still Karma. I passed it again on the way home.

I should mention that my friend's name was David. David K-----!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Cool video.

This made me look up Jan-Michael Vincent. Apparently, he's had drug and alcohol problems, is down and out, and has had two amputations on his leg:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2824218/The-tragic-d...

What a waste.
I suggest you all do yourselves a favor and don't read this I interview, and especially, don't watch the video interview on that webpage. It just ended up pi$$ing me off at that interviewer, and sort of ruined this really great thread for me. Sometimes the media really sucks.

[Edited on 8-5-2016 by imlost]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 04:31 PM

Great video....
Thanks

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
you guys ever surf K55 when it used to be good? My girlfriend's mom and dad would take us down when I was in 10th-11th grade, 1981-2. Campo Lopez was good occasionally as well.

No matter how bad things are going in life, when I paddle out all is right with the world.

In 1960 when I was 2 my parents, who both surfed and were members of Doheny Beach and San O' surf clubs, bought a house on the cliff at Campo Lopez. From the time I was about 5 we spent all summer and every major holiday weekend down there. I was a very lucky guy. Countless days spent chasing waves from San Miguel to Baja Malibu but when the swell was right Campo Lopez/K55 had some of the best surf any where and it was right off the front porch. The crazy thing is that in all those years no one ever thought to photograph or film at all. All I have are the great memories and skin like shoe leather to show for it. :saint::biggrin:

Woody - did you camp out on the bluff or stay in a house?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 06:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

No matter how bad things are going in life, when I paddle out all is right with the world.

In 1960 when I was 2 my parents, who both surfed and were members of Doheny Beach and San O' surf clubs, bought a house on the cliff at Campo Lopez. From the time I was about 5 we spent all summer and every major holiday weekend down there. I was a very lucky guy. Countless days spent chasing waves from San Miguel to Baja Malibu but when the swell was right Campo Lopez/K55 had some of the best surf any where and it was right off the front porch. The crazy thing is that in all those years no one ever thought to photograph or film at all. All I have are the great memories and skin like shoe leather to show for it. :saint::biggrin:

Woody - did you camp out on the bluff or stay in a house?

campo lopez, now in the shadow of puerta del mar has amazingly retained that "old baja"feel....amazing!:yes:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 06:58 PM

We used to day trip. I had another friend J Vaughn who's dad had a house below the water tower at La Mision. The locals called his dad Juez Sucio because he was a judge in SD. We would bring our rucas with us and be kings sleeping on the patio when the Juez wasnt there. San Miguel used to be sooo much better than today when the river didnt breach the rocks.

KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 08:09 PM

Never been a fan of dope or dopers . And to be fair feel the same of people who can't control their alcohol consumption.

I've no problem with moderate use of any but when you use it as a life style you have a problem.

Looks like JMV was rolling one up behind the tailgate

It ruined him and happens too often.

Too many lifetimes lost to some chemical when reality is an adequate high.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2016 at 09:00 PM

I guess it depends on your reality? azzhat
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.