BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: 75 Anniv. Baja Pole Line Run - Feb. 18, 19, 20th 2017 - planning thread
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 07:53 AM

De nada Paul... Have you considered just meeting Ken's group at the bottom of the summit, coming in from La Ventana and use the Pole Line Road westbound, like you did just before our April 2015 run?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 08:03 AM

Yes, Considering the reverse run
* Also considering gas at Valley Trin over the summit and meet at the fence gate.
* Also Jeep mod I have always wanted, which is the 31 gal fuel tank instead of the stock 19 gal one.

Slow planning progress due to other commitments. Glad I have some time to get my act together.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
* Also considering gas at Valley Trin over the summit and meet at the fence gate.
* Also Jeep mod I have always wanted, which is the 31 gal fuel tank instead of the stock 19 gal one.

Slow planning progress due to other commitments. Glad I have some time to get my act together.

Yes, the Valle de Trinidad Pemex and over the summit is a great idea! You will be on several more miles of the Pole Line Road, as well!

I have no idea if I will make the next run, but it would be great to meet you, so I hope things work out so I can go. It was a great run with great people last year.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2016 at 10:13 AM

Paul I plan to do the run and I normally carry two 5 gallon jugs which I don't need on the PLR at least I never have yet. You can put them in your vehicle. I normally carry Magna Sin but if you use Premium I'll put that in. Actually I can carry three which I did on my first No Wimp Trail run.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 06:32 AM

Update
A replacement fuel tank is on the way with +11 gal. No more distance limits. Mods required.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 11:49 AM

Good news but make sure it doesn't drag the ground.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2016 at 01:20 PM

Includes new R springs. Hope they are correct. Will test at Moab on labor day
=========
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Good news but make sure it doesn't drag the ground.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 09:40 AM

Almost two months since the last post... Ken, do you have any updates? I am seeing interest over on Tacoma World by some to go on the next run.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Almost two months since the last post... Ken, do you have any updates? I am seeing interest over on Tacoma World by some to go on the next run.

Hi David,

I will be posting a run announcement within the next hour at JustRuns.com

I also plan on beginning the manufacture process of Pole Line Road merchandise later this week. :bounce:

Merchandise will be available mid November! :bounce:

Merchandise includes: t-shirts, hooded sweatshirts, baseball caps! :light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 02:12 PM

Please copy your posts here or post the link to the thread or post of interest. Thank you.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 03:06 PM

"The Pole Line Road was constructed during WW2 to service a telephone road from the San Felipe area to Ensenada because of fear of Japanese submarines in the Sea of Cortez. It does not go from ranch to ranch or spring to spring, so it gets little travel (and no maintenance)." - Neal Johns

4WD Run Type: Bobtail Camping - 1 night in Canyon Alamito at the bottom of the Summit. 1 night in Canyon Jaquegel near the stream.

Date: Saturday February 18 - Monday February 20, 2017

Leader: Ken Cooke (and Wife Leidys Cooke)

RSVP: Required for Run

Run Type: Camping Run (incl. 2 Full Days on the 1942 Pole Line Road) with an optional run to Enmedio Falls for those who want to try some moderate level rock crawling.

Difficulty Rating: 2+ (3 on optional Enmedio Falls section)

Required Equipment:
Provisions for 2 nights of camping in the remote backcountry.
31" Tire required.
CB Radio and Fire Extinguisher.
3 Days worth of Mexico Auto Insurance (Can be purchased in 24 hr. increments).
One traction aiding device strongly suggested (Limited Slip).
Skid plate for oil pan,
Spare tire
Spare (2) gerry gas cans to make entire round-trip from Progreso/Mexicali-area back to Mexicali. Gerry cans must be EMPTY to enter Mexico.
A good shovel to assist in trail washouts
Towstrap (no metal hooks!) for vehicle recovery

Meeting Time: 10 AM - Pep Boys, Calexico, CA - 400 S Imperial Ave Calexico, CA 92231

Departure Time: 10:30 AM from Pep Boys - 400 S Imperial Ave Calexico, CA 92231

* Please have your Mexican insurance already purchased/in hand, and Passports/Visas to return to USA.

*This is going to be a fun run - drivers from as far off as B.C. Canada will make the drive! Bring your cameras and extra memory cards - the vistas in this part of Baja are amazing. The trail has its' challenges, and will not disappoint. In 2015, we had to get out of our Jeep, Toyota and Ford 4x4s and rebuild a portion of the trail, so please bring a good shovel and maybe a good pick to break up the hard-packed ground.

Day 1: Our group will meet in Calexico at the Pep Boys parking lot. We will have a relaxed lunch at Asadero Morlan before heading to the PEMEX gas station where we will fill up our gerry cans and gas tanks. We will drive to Laguna Salada (at Hwy 2)- reset odometers at '0' where our next stop will be Cohabuzo Junction - 57 miles south. At mile 79, we will enter the sand wash of Canyon El Alamito where we will camp for the night. We should arrive at roughly 3:30 pm - enough time to set up tents, build camp fire. Note: The bottom of the summit gets cold and breezy at night.
Day 2: We will take the bypass to enter our route (if gate is locked/closed). We will travel cobble stone sections that were built 75 years ago by Army Corps of Engineers - stopping to take photos. At Mile 95.4 we will take optional rock crawl section past Basketball Hill arroyo to survey canyon junction down below. "The reason for Basketball Hill is about two miles below; where Canyon Enmedio joins Canyon Jaquegel is a dry waterfall which Basketball hill bypasses. Bikes can continue down Enmedio if desired and there is a way down the waterfall on the left. Also, here at this canyon junction, is an old sidehill road over the hill left (OK for bikes, but no longer useable for 4wds - tippy plus!)" - Neal Johns Our day will end at mile 97.2 Canyon Jaquegel at approximately 3 p.m.

Day 3: Our last day will take us from mile 97.2 to mile 130.5 at Llano el Chinero where our dirt route will intersect with Hwy 5. Provided that our road is feasable at mile 105, we may have to get out and do trail repairs. We should reach Hwy 5 before dusk. Our vehicles will need to take us north into Mexicali where we can gas up our vehicles and grab some fresh food.

Your vehicle will need to be able to travel two days in low-range consuming a considerable amount of fuel. My 4.0l Jeep TJ consumes close to its' full 19 gallon tank along with the 10 gallons that I carry in auxilary fuel. Spare parts are always a good idea. Over the years, we have needed spare ignition parts, spare tires, spare motor oil, and even a translator or two. Be sure to pack enough food for the full 3 days. You can take food to go from Asadero Morlan to help augment your first day worth of food as we begin our run on the 1942 Pole Line Road.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2016 at 08:14 AM
Update: Pole Line merchandise

T-shirt/Sweatshirt designs are in the completion stage. Preliminary orders are going out to the manufacturer this week. :bounce:

Baja Pole Line model session in the planning stages. :bounce:

Stay tuned!:yes:

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-16-2016 at 11:34 AM

Model session? Lol. Can't wait.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2016 at 08:35 PM

Paul,

Chippy is driving up from San Felipe (originating in Colima). Since he has never been to this region, would it be possible for him to caravan with you and your friend? He doesn't want to meet up in Progreso since he will be driving from mainland Mexico. Thanks if you can help him out.

Ken

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2016 at 06:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Paul,

Chippy is driving up from San Felipe (originating in Colima). Since he has never been to this region, would it be possible for him to caravan with you and your friend? He doesn't want to meet up in Progreso since he will be driving from mainland Mexico. Thanks if you can help him out.

Ken

= = =
Good, he is welcome to join Rich and I
PM sent
FYI, I will be taking the route via L Salida.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 10:58 PM
Numbers posted

17 drivers have contacted me - confirmed
4 drivers - 'maybe'

It's going to be a lot of fun, and educational. Besides the Pole Line Road apparel, I am going to stop promoting this run for obvious reasons. We now have a full slate of drivers and passengers, and I don't want to worry about food shortages in Progreso or gasoline shortages at the Progreso PEMEX.

See you in Baja everyone..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:12 AM

Wow, you might add an extra day... that many vehicles will take quite awhile to do the crawl sections of PLR.

Keep in mind, unlike the last PLR trip in 2015, this time the border guards might make everyone go to INM for the (now*) required FMMs... that would be some kind of parking dilemma. The Baja Extreme three other vehicles following me were all told to go to INM, and to double park as the few parking spots were filled there.

*It was still as it had been, if under 3 days in Mexico and not south of San Felipe, no FMM required.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:34 AM

*It was still as it had been, if under 3 days in Mexico and not south of San Felipe, no FMM required.

We will drive in on Saturday morning and out Monday evening, but the couple from Canada might have to get their FMMs if they plan to stay longer. I am just speculating, but this is good to know.

One more driver confirmed this morning and Pete unfortunately dropped out. His Jeep will be recovered sometime this week with the help of his friend Steve, Mark and PaulW. Roughly, we are at 20 rigs.

Akula
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

We will drive in on Saturday morning and out Monday evening, but the couple from Canada might have to get their FMMs if they plan to stay longer. I am just speculating, but this is good to know.

One more driver confirmed this morning and Pete unfortunately dropped out. His Jeep will be recovered sometime this week with the help of his friend Steve, Mark and PaulW. Roughly, we are at 20 rigs.

The wife and I will be heading back Monday evening with the rest of the crew Ken. We have some family in Palm Springs we're going to visit with. Just wondering about the FMM's I pulled this info off the Discover Baja website:

As of September 2015, there is no longer a “free zone” and every person entering Baja, regardless of destination or duration of trip needs to obtain an FMM. If you are only going to be in Mexico for seven days or less, you can get a free FMM, but you still need to stop at the border to fill out the paperwork to obtain the permit.

I just want to make sure we have everything we need and not get delayed on the trip. Does anyone have any extra info on this?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2016 at 04:39 PM

The really key thing about the FREE 7 day FMM is that it must be returned to the INM office at the border, and that hassle alone (with Mexicali traffic and finding the border line street going back north) could easily justify buying the 180 day FMM instead. Your passport is scanned to monitor it and scanned again when you return the free FMM, which makes sure people leave Mexico in 7 days or less, otherwise you get charged for 180 days. The 180 day FMM can be thrown away after 180 days.

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.