Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: It's hot out there...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:37 PM

"Sea level change varies by location."

How convenient for your argument.

Still pretty funny that over 60 years we have photographic (and written) evidence that the sea is not higher on the Sea of Cortez over that period.

Still, what are you claiming can be done if they are going up? The only thing is to move to higher ground. You are certainly not going to make the seas go down by making government more powerful or taxpayers poorer, right?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
"Sea level change varies by location."

How convenient for your argument.

Still pretty funny that over 60 years we have photographic (and written) evidence that the sea is not higher on the Sea of Cortez over that period.

Still, what are you claiming can be done if they are going up? The only thing is to move to higher ground. You are certainly not going to make the seas go down by making government more powerful or taxpayers poorer, right?

Cut green house gas emissions to do what we can to lessen the net effect.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:49 PM

We have, China hasn't... volcanoes also erupt.

Now, can you say anything we in America can do, changes the sea level in reality or is it just in la la land?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 02:33 AM

On the very VERY late show last nite Mr. Trump addressed the issue of rising seas. He will mandate a special tax assessment to all of those people and business's residing within 250 miles of either seacoast. These funds (less management fee) will be used to buy sand from Iraq to backfill coastlines against the rising seas. In some areas, Clinton emails may be used in lieu of sand, if the EPA approves. On the same show, Mr. Trump announced that he will move all of HIS business activities to Omaha, Nebraska. The tax rate increase is not expected to exceed 1363% for those affected. FYI: Any business or person that has not declared "intent to move" by COB yesterday will not be allowed to do so.

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 03:35 AM

I heard he and Giuliani are going to blow it over themselves and make the Iraqis pay for it. :bounce:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 07:36 AM

Ya think?

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 09:01 AM

Has anyone considered tectonic movements could cause shorelines to rise or fall? All you who want to walk everywhere and live like they did 1000 years ago have at it. I'm a gonna enjoy the trappings of the 21st century!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 09:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Maybe I am a simpleton but with additional heat comes invigorated action and response.

Warmer water leads to coral die off.

Coral die off leads to reduced coastal barriers.

Reduced coastal barriers lead to land erosion.

Whether that includes a rise in sea levels I will leave to the experts.

And, anybody that has done any reading understands that the sea rises and falls at different levels all around the world due to wind patterns, the rotation of the earth, gravity from other influencing bodies.... and probably a myriad of other things.

So, take your pick, rising sea levels or not erosion is a reality.

I don't really find levity in this subject in any way since I am raising children and they have to deal with the fallout of placation and passivity regarding climate change.

And, I would agree, some is a natural cycle.

However, I will say that I agree that man has added an exponential effect to any occurrence of natural cycles.

To say otherwise flies in the face of common sense.

Don't forget the animals. There has been talk in CA to regulate the methane gas from cows.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 09:47 AM

Here's an example of problems caused by sea-level rise. In Miami beach there are storm drains that drain surface rain water to the bay. But something new has developed. Sea water is coming up through the drains onto the street.

Interesting video including interviews with longtime residents.

South Florida's Rising Seas - Sea Level Rise Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbzypWJk64
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Here's an example of problems caused by sea-level rise. In Miami beach there are storm drains that drain surface rain water to the bay. But something new has developed. Sea water is coming up through the drains onto the street.

Interesting video including interviews with longtime residents.

South Florida's Rising Seas - Sea Level Rise Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JbzypWJk64

sounds like Loreto!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 10:05 AM

The way the problem in Loreto was explained to me, by someone who I believe knows what he is talking about, is that when the sea wall was built there were not adequate drainage considerations made for the part of the wall beneath ground level, causing subsurface ground water that would normally seep into the sea to back up. Essentially, an underground dam was built stopping the water from draining. The backed-up water then gets into the sewage system causing additional problems.

Also, the sewage needs to be pumped up to the sewage treatment plant so when there are pump system problems the low lying streets get messy.

Maybe a Loreto resident can confirm.

[Edited on 8-25-2016 by SFandH]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 10:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Anyone else find it ironic that David sites NASA and NOAA to support his claim that climate change is not man made?

Life is easier when you pick and choose your facts, and make up facts where the situation lacks a suitable fact.

Fact on!

Does anybody else on this board find it alarming that a few DEMAND that other's change their mind, and by their standards fall-in-line, and when they don't they trash and bash them over and over again, almost without fail?

I agree. Tell David to stop doing that.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 10:49 AM

I freely admit I dont understand the whys of what is happening to our seas, air and waters. I DO however agree that we are seeing massive change.I will be in Boulder week after next, and have several friends at NOAA who have agreed to host me for a day to help me understand what they feel is happening. I doubt I will share that. It should be interesting....

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 01:02 PM

We are talking a couple of mm's ... one mm = 0.0393701 inches .... 2 mm = 0.0984252 inches

Anyone with eye's that good .... should be in Guinness world record books ... and a reason why other means of measurement are used to measure any decrease or increase in ocean levels on the planet

Arctic sea ice is vanishing far faster than anyone thought possible

"Historically, sea ice forms every winter across the top of the planet, and covers much of the Arctic Ocean. Every summer, the ice melts a bit and retreats, only to repeat the cycle again. But since the 1980s, the ice has been retreating further and further overall, contributing to changes to ecosystems, and erosion so severe it is biting off chunks of coastlines in Alaska, Canada and elsewhere. It even is exacerbating the warming trend in the Arctic."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/19/arctic-sea-ice-is-vanishing-f...

which fits in with Patch's point .. erosion, which is just one of many aspects of ourŪ environment that can be influence by increased "heat" ... As temperature does impact physical states of matter :):)

[Edited on 8-25-2016 by wessongroup]
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:42 AM

Hey Ged, you'll enjoy this: https://youtu.be/PGtCkv7_nIs

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

Ken,
Thanks for the link....followed up and found this TED talk about that...a fuller explanation of the concept.

Some folks may not like it because it acknowledges the concept of evolution and is presented by an educated person....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZjlfhN0EQ

Don't believe everything you think....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 09:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

Ken,
Thanks for the link....followed up and found this TED talk about that...a fuller explanation of the concept.

Some folks may not like it because it acknowledges the concept of evolution and is presented by an educated person....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZjlfhN0EQ

I really hate that you bring up big gubinment sources like TED talks which might be based on science, logic and reality. I'd much rather look at old photo's of a palm tree and believe someone who has minimal education but lots of blather on these critical issues. Trump has great appeal to these individuals and operates because they are willing to place their children into his (small) but "yuuuuugely successful" hands. NOT me, and I vote.;)

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
We are talking a couple of mm's ... one mm = 0.0393701 inches .... 2 mm = 0.0984252 inches

Anyone with eye's that good .... should be in Guinness world record books ... and a reason why other means of measurement are used to measure any decrease or increase in ocean levels on the planet

DK has a 10 megapixel camera.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.