Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: CB Radio Antenna Tune Question
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 07:08 PM

DK

CB's are a little passe since handheld uhf/vhf affordably came to market- but they may be an advantage now since in Mex (and everywhere else)you can hear chatter on these latest radio consumer gadgets.

Costco used to sell some Motorola handhelds (pair) for around $60 , got a set threw them into the truck and when we travel with someone else, give them the extra unit.\

They say up to 25 mile range but that is line of sight and without a more powerful or closer (other) signal in between
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 07:10 PM

Yes, we bought those Motorola hand helds... very disappointing performance! Should have returned them to Costco! Used them once in Baja, I think.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 07:53 PM
We got us a convoy?

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
No matter cb, marine, or race radio it's alot of fun when everyone in the group can communicate and make fun of each other.

10-4 good buddy, I got you 5x5! I have been wanting to practice my trucker jargon for years!

Because of a history of self inflicted brain damage, I am a little concerned about all those radio waves bouncing around my skull. I mean, I have seen what punishment we Nomads can deliver over the internet, sharing the same frequency could be scary!

I could wear my aluminum foil hat, but I think it would be a bit sweaty in Baja. :P

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
No matter cb, marine, or race radio it's alot of fun when everyone in the group can communicate and make fun of each other.

10-4 good buddy, I got you 5x5! I have been wanting to practice my trucker jargon for years!

Because of a history of self inflicted brain damage, I am a little concerned about all those radio waves bouncing around my skull. I mean, I have seen what punishment we Nomads can deliver over the internet, sharing the same frequency could be scary!

I could wear my aluminum foil hat, but I think it would be a bit sweaty in Baja. :P

If the cell phone hasn't completely scrambled my brain I doubt some useless radio chatter will hurt. Haha
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 08:31 PM

anyone want to take a lighthearted stab at DK's new handle":light:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 08:41 PM

Mapman

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 08:49 PM

When I first moved to CA I noticed there was little CB activity from the trucks. Don't know why unless the lack of mile markers. Normal chatter on an interstate in the midwest was like smokey at mile marker 185 etc.

The cleanest CB use I seen in a long time was the last PLR run. I recall little if any noise on the CB radio. AM modulation such as a CB is noisey where the VHF FM units are not. Technically you need an FCC license to use a VHF radio in the business band such as what SCORE is using, That is in the U.S.A. I'm pretty sure it is required in Mexico as well. But because most businesses use cell phones now I don't think there is much enforcement.

FYI Mexico has a really weird allotment system for frequencies. In the U.S. certain bands of frequencies are set aside for various business uses. Police and fire have theirs, businesses like Air conditioning and cabs have theirs and the radio and TV broadcasters have theirs. In Mexico a cab could have a frequency in the same band as the police or government. When I worked at KNSD-TV in San Diego one of our news frequencies was the same as the governor of Baja. They had just been issued it and there was interference so we met in TJ and worked things out, they changed frequencies.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 07:55 AM

We use CB radios for jeep runs in the Sierras, but in Baja just our old cheap motorola handhelds. Did you get it ur CB to connect? My hubby is pretty knowledgable...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 08:44 AM

Yes, the CB and antenna are connected. I just need to get or borrow an SWR meter to tune the antenna. Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The CB is installed... wired direct to the battery... and I was surprised that I could not hear anyone on any channel the several minutes I had it on and in scan mode. Don't truckers use CB anymore, either? No skip... just static, and set squelch just above static point. See, it's been ages since I used a CB except on the PLR run.
So, next, I will check the SWR of the antenna and adjust if needed. If the antenna is not synced then that would be another reason why I heard no CBers?

[Edited on 8-21-2016 by David K]

Truckers still using CB. Last few times I listened, it was definitely not something you want your kids to overhear!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 10:45 AM

:bounce:
:light:
:biggrin:

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Mapman

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 11:07 AM

How about 'Postmaster'? He has over nine posts per day average, that is way ahead of whoever is in second place!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

How about 'Postmaster'? He has over nine posts per day average, that is way ahead of whoever is in second place!

While my CB handle was 'Baja' when I was a teenager, my Nomad name remains my name... When I got on the Internet Baja forums in the late 1990s, I figured there would be a zillion "Baja" this or "Baja" thats, so I chose a more unique moniker.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:27 PM

Update:

So Baja Angel bought me an SWR meter off Amazon and it arrived today.

Well, the SWR was high, 2.5:1 on Ch. 1 and 3.5:1 on Ch. 40 (3.0:1 on Ch. 20).

So, bad on both ends but worse on Ch. 40. That indicates the antenna is too long.

Well, no decent metal hack saw or bolt cutters here, but after taking some time, I cut 1/4" off with a (PVC pipe) Zac Hack (6" saw).

The SWR went down to 2:1 on Ch. 1 and 3:1 on Ch. 40. Still too high!

More to cut off, but my wife (who is very mechanically inclined, a tool lady, and former Jeep owner) saw my dilemma and insisted we get a proper cutter... Just came home from dinner and Home Depot...

Stay tuned for the next cut and re-test!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 06:27 PM
Success!

Update #2:

With the goal of the SWR being UNDER 2:1 on both ends of the CB frequency (Ch. 1 and 40)...

Armed with new cutters, I trimmed about a half inch off the bottom of the antenna and checked the SWR.

After the first 1/4" trim yesterday, it dropped to 2:1 on Ch. 1 and 3:1 on Ch. 40.

Today, I trimmed about 1/2 inch and the SWR dropped to 1.4:1 on Ch. 1 and 2.6:1 on Ch. 40.

Another 1/4" snipped and...

1.7:1 on Ch. 1 and 2.2:1 on Ch. 40.

Almost there!!!

Another 1/4" snipped...

1.9:1 on Ch. 1 and 1.9:1 on Ch. 40 and at the center, (Ch. 20) the SWR was 1.3:1

That is the lowest SWR for this antenna.

The CB and antenna are both Cobra.

I now have ears... let's caravan!

The CB is a Cobra 75 WX and the antenna is a Cobra HG A 1000

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by David K]

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 07:43 PM

Good job. It should work perfect for the distances we are apart when offroading.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 08:14 PM

Now that you have the CB fixed, it's time to get a HAM radio!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 10:22 PM

Good job. It should work perfect for the distances we are apart when offroading.

Is there no more skip daily (sun spot activity low)? Used to be very noisy with people shooting skip... CQ DX!
It is very quiet on all 40 channels... No side band either (they used to hang out on 16 and 17)? I heard a couple talking on Ch. 19, and that is all.

ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 04:39 AM

I live 5 miles from I-10 freeway and hardly ever hear traffic on the cb. A couple local dump truck guys got some crazy powerful radios I hear occasionally.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 07:39 AM

F2 Skip is dependent upon the sunspot cycle, however sporadic E skip is mainly a summertime condition and varies somewhat by location. Even in low sunspot conditions sporadic E skip is available. Sometimes sporadic E comes in in late December.

Hams in the VHF freqs use both and meteor scattering, auroral scatter, tropospheric ducting, and even amateur radio satellites to "skip" low power limited-range radios. Some are using moon-bounce to reflect signals. Of course, these are all legal for the ham operator.

Jack, N1IY
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.