BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fish Markets San Felipe?
msand1977

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 11:04 AM
Fish Markets San Felipe?

Thinking about going camping South of San Felipe in October. Any one know of a good fish market I can hit before I leave town? The last time I was there 2 years ago there was one on Mar Caribe Ave on the way out of town, but the selection was really limited and the Shrimp was BAD. Also I was thinking of camping at Punta Estella or Rancho Percebu does anyone have any recent reports from there?

Thanks
Matt
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 11:25 AM

Was on Shell Island about a mile south of Percebu, last month... it was awesome! Trip report and photos were posted http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83482

Another Nomad camped there in June, and fished: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83520

Don't know about the condition of the fish market, but would like to hear if anyone in San Felipe can recommend one!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 12:54 PM
Pescado Mercado

There is one a couple blocks off the main street, to the left as you head toward the water. It's about 1/3 to 1/2 the way from the circle, You can't miss the sign. Never been there but I'll be down there in two weeks and I'll check it out. Always wanted to go in and see what kind of fish are offered, just never have.

A little further down the road, going towards the Malecon, on the right hand side there is often a truck parked that sells fish. Again, never stopped to see what he has but, he is there all the time.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 02:19 PM

Rubin's fish my favorite has been closed for a few years ,now if I want shrimp I cruise the malacon and buy out of the back of a pick-up
bajapedro
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2016 at 03:43 PM

Have stopped at about all the fish markets between the turn circle on way through town. The Pelicano market just South of the El Dorado on right hand side heading south, has a great meat counter and often will have fish too.
Can be hit or miss depending on what they are catching. Never had a bad fish, yet.(?)
Agree, shrimp best bought on or near the malecon. Sometimes there will be someone selling it from their truck at the turn going South on 5 near airport.
In October, I have also had fisherman come door to door in Percebu selling fresh fish and shrimp, but you can't count on that.
Does anyone know yet if the shrimp season is even going to be open this year (legally)?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  

Does anyone know yet if the shrimp season is even going to be open this year (legally)?

Good ?, since the panga net fishing ban has become somewhat
permanent, don't know if that would include shrimp. I believe
the fish gillnets were allowed to drift overnite, not sure the shrimp nets are fished the same. A certain amount of illegal
nite fishing occurs
Ban might not affect the big boat shrimpers, since they drag
their gear along the bottom, destroying bottom habit along
the way. There are some who will not buy big boat caught
shrimp due to the by catch. but that is another topic

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by sancho]
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 08:00 PM

I generally buy 5-8 Kilos of shrimp a year at the flea market out at El Dorado. For fresh fish I always shop the old fashion way in the Sea of Cortez. If you don't have your own stuff hire a locale and please only keep legal fish instead of the special sea bass that Americans love to brag they caught.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 11:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
I generally buy 5-8 Kilos of shrimp a year at the flea market out at El Dorado. For fresh fish I always shop the old fashion way in the Sea of Cortez. If you don't have your own stuff hire a locale and please only keep legal fish instead of the special sea bass that Americans love to brag they caught.

As an "American" who fishes the Sea of Cortez, just kind of wondering what you mean by this?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 07:06 AM

My guess is that "special sea bass" = totuava ?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msand1977

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 01:53 AM

Just got back, and there are 2. There is a Sign just across from the Calimax, and another sign a block or 2 down from there. I bought from the 1st one and they had good Shrimp and Fish.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 06:29 AM

Off topic a bit but this may apply to the SOC in general.
Two shrimpers off the mouth of Concepcion this morning. Have seen single shrimp boats for about a month now. Is the season open? I don't know but if the catch is good then there will more draggers.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.