Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best fridge for solar power
laidback

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 04:02 PM
Best fridge for solar power

I want to instal a kitchen fridge and run it on solar. Any recomondations on make/model?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by laidback  
I want to instal a kitchen fridge and run it on solar. Any recomondations on make/model?

where, hot climate?
laidback

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 04:38 PM

Sorry, Bahia Conception. Propane is fine in the winter, but doesn't cut it when it gets hot. And gas is expensive
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 04:41 PM

You can research power use on the Energy Star website. That's how we picked our refrigerators. Our main fridge is six years old, at the time it was one of the most energy efficient. It's a whirlpool (I'm pretty sure 19 cu ft), but I can't find the model number on it. The newer ones are probably better now anyway. It draws about 850 watts in 24 hours in the winter (inside temp about 70-75 degrees), and about 1200 in the summer (temp inside house around 80-85. I checked a lot of fridges sold in Mexico but the power use for some reason was much higher than what you could find in the U.S.

If you divide the yearly power use for a fridge on the energy star website by 365, it's pretty darn accurate for what it uses on a day that's 70-75 degrees or so.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 04:47 PM

I would build a chest freezer conversion...if you're the handy type, remove the metal skin and free the condenser coils, add 3 or 4 inches of insulation cover with FRP and re-attach the coils outside the box. its actually easier than it sounds.
or...buy a sundanzer chest fridge, expensive and there's been some problems with them lately, but they're plug and play.
laidback

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the info Big Wooo. Good place to start for sure. I know there have been some inverter technology being used in some of the fridges??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 05:34 PM

We found that the newer LG and Samsung refrigerators are very efficient and work just fine off grid.

Our 1950's servel is now parked for storage and backup if we ever need it.

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by rts551]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 06:18 PM

I've had really good luck with my Servels by Nordic for over 10years here. They are propane though. I'm lazy in the extreme and never serviced either. Just before I headed north last time one would not stay lit. I purchased a new thermocoupler (sp) but haven't installed it. These have worked well for me over the summers but do require a lot more time defrosting this time of year. They are pretty small so I have two. SunFrost has a good reputation here. But I've heard of their compressors going bad on a few. good luck!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 06:56 PM

A small 12 volt fan behind the fridge make them work better in the summer i have found and they use very little amp's:light:
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 07:06 PM

That's a great idea, Russ. I'm going to steal that.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2016 at 07:20 PM

I use a Sears Elite, and I did what Big Woo suggested and got the most energy efficient refer I could find at the time. I find that during the winter months mine uses 900 to 1000 watts in a 24 hour period. During the hot months when it is 95+ degrees in the house the refer uses as much as 3000 watts in a 24 hour period. Huge increase. One thing to do is make sure you use a pure sine wave inverter. A mod sine wave can burn out a refer motor in the hot months. Motors do not run efficently on mod sine wave and will build up excess heat.
Good luck with yours
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 06:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
A small 12 volt fan behind the fridge make them work better in the summer i have found and they use very little amp's:light:

12vdc , or 110vac computer fans work well to keep air moving across the heat exchanging components. the 12vdc fans use 1/10amp! they are available for about $1 at a shop that sell used computer parts. i would venture a guess that most propane frigs are operating at reduced efficiency due to a variety of factors...dirty burner,restricted flue, dirty cooling fins, ect
laidback

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 08:08 AM

thanks everyone for all the great info. My old fridge is just that . Old and to replace with a new propane fridge will be more expensive than going to a new electric fridge. I t5hink I can put a dedicated solar array for the fridge for less than propane will cost me over a couple of years. Once again, thanks for the info
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I would build a chest freezer conversion...if you're the handy type, remove the metal skin and free the condenser coils, add 3 or 4 inches of insulation cover with FRP and re-attach the coils outside the box. its actually easier than it sounds.
or...buy a sundanzer chest fridge, expensive and there's been some problems with them lately, but they're plug and play.

I have such a chest freezer, converted to a fridge with a $13.00 temp controller.....works great!
It does collect quite a bit of condensation inside, and heats up the room it is located in pretty good. Perfect in the winter, but in the summer it is too much heat.
However, the beer stays nicely cooled.....
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 08:48 AM

14 cubic foot - freezer on the top - models they carry in Walmart in baja draw probably about 1200 watts in a 24 hour period I would guess - appx 50 watts an hour. Thats what mine does. I think it cost USD $350 mas o manos. They all have an energy rating sheet.

When you plan your solar build, do the math on all your usage, and size your battery bank so you have reserve for cloudy days and to not grind them down too low every day. Building the Solar will cost you though - if you base the payback only from switching from gas to electric in the refrigerator it wont pencil out I would guess. But for me personally it is worth the expense.

[Edited on 8-22-2016 by soylent_green]
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
We found that the newer LG and Samsung refrigerators are very efficient and work just fine off grid.

LG:light: just perfect!

I am getting a US model LG fridge, together with a RV water pump and a 5 Gal
water jug, it will cool my drinking water and keep the ice maker busy in the door.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I have such a chest freezer, converted to a fridge with a $13.00 temp controller.....works great!
It does collect quite a bit of condensation inside, and heats up the room it is located in pretty good. Perfect in the winter, but in the summer it is too much heat.
However, the beer stays nicely cooled.....

I also have the chest freezer conversion and like it a lot. I use it in the garage to keep my beer and other drinks cold. It uses less power in a 24 hour period than a 120v 14w curlicue florescent light bulb and holds a temperature of less than 40f. Yes it does collect condensation on the bottom so probably not the ideal for food storage, but works well as a back up when the household refer fills up. Here is a link to how to put one together
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47172
They are deffinitly worth the effort.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
laidback

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 04:31 PM

Thanks everybody
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2016 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fernweh  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

LG:light: just perfect!

I am getting a US model LG fridge, together with a RV water pump and a 5 Gal
water jug, it will cool my drinking water and keep the ice maker busy in the door.

After years of the servel we bought the Samsung inverter model. Uses very little electricity and available in Mexico.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 05:25 AM

I've found that putting ac in the kitchen works best...

most people just think of the bedroom for sleeping

we just have regular fridges and ac in the kitchen when it get too hot

keeping the temp down makes it easier to eat too : )

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.