BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Driving from San Diego to Los Cabos Early November 2016
kencolamarino

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 10:26 AM
Driving from San Diego to Los Cabos Early November 2016

Hi All. New to the forum but not Baha. Visited, worked and lived, and enjoyed Baha Sur, mostly South of La Paz. Have never driven down from Tijuana. My Primo has lived in San Jose for 15 years and is a golf Director at Palmilla. I'm tired of borrowing cars or paying over a thousand a month to rent one. Have a residence mail forward in SD and a truck titled and registered in Minihaha County, SD. I'll have Mexican insurance obtained on line before the trip.
I'm shipping a Nissan Frontier 4x4 from PA to San Diego late October, and planning on driving to San Jose del Cabo around November 1. The car will be shipped to a terminal in Lemon Grove. My plan is to fly in and pick up the car, buy a spare 5 gallon gas can to fill up in Mexico for the trip, as well as all fluids for the car. Then get a good nights sleep, up at 5:30, cross at San Ysidro, get and pay for FMM and start trekking South.

Original plan is to make Guerrero Negro or further the first day, and get up early the next morning and drive to San Jose.

I think it's doable, but any comment would be appreciated.

If anyone has an interest in doing the trip, I could use the company.

I've heard that Catavina then Loreto, making it a three day trip might be better. Trying to research where to stay.

Haven't used U2U yet but can probably figure it out.

I can't figure out how I missed this forum all these years!

Regards to all,

Ken

IMG_6987.JPG - 132kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 11:30 AM

I drove from Tecate to just short of La Paz in two days once. I would not even consider doing more than that! There are too many hazards at night, besides fatigue to take that risk.

[Edited on 8-23-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 11:38 AM

just a month ago I crossed at 7am
goofed off in Ensenada for an hour

made mulege by 9:30pm

you do go slower when it gets dark

with that "old beater" pick up you better check it out before you cross
you should easily make it to san Ignacio

next day is 10 hours more

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 11:52 AM

There's enough gas available you won't need the jerry can. Of course, it can't hurt. Top the gas tank at El Rosario (honest pumps there, too). You now have a 200 mile section without Pemex, but people sell gas out of cans at Cataviña and the L.A. Bay jcn. for emergencies.

You should get at least 300 miles on a tank of gas, yes?

If you leave very early, you can make San Ignacio, 500 miles (10 hours) before dark, but that is really pushing it. Remember, there are military checkpoints, detours, accidents, cows all on the road to stop or slow for. It isn't a high-speed road. The La Huerta Motel in San Ignacio is new, nice, cheap... just past the mission/ town plaza/ 2 miles on paved side road from highway.

If you leave early again, it is a 500 mile drive to Los Cabos...

We do wonder why miss so much (all the rest) of Baja just to zip to the tip? Oh, while it sounds like Baha, in English,... it is spelled Baja.

If you have time to see some of Baja north of Cabo on your way down, try and take it in.

Just some suggested stops:

The Cataviña Desert Gardens and Boulders
Bahia de los Angeles (paved 40 mile side trip, motels there)
San Ignacio oasis
Mulegé oasis
Bahia Concepcion beaches
Loreto, where California began in 1697!

[Edited on 8-23-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 12:03 PM

I don't think you'll have a problem making Guerrero Negro or Vizcaino the first day - Terra Sal, as recommended by others, is a good clean place to stay in GN, and the Cowboy has been pretty good for us as well. The Kadekaman in Viz is lovely.

If you wear out early or get slowed down on your second day, Hotel Paraiso del Valle in Constitucion is quite nice, or there are any number of places on the north side of La Paz (Centenario).

Making it in two days is possible, especially if you're willing to drive after dark, but it does not leave much room for unexpected stops and delays, good or bad - it is Mexico, after all!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 12:20 PM

My vote is to take it more slowly. San Quintin has some very nice hotels and a favorite is JARDINES which has a great restaurant that is closed on Mondays.

Second day San Ignacio (a must if you have never been there). The main square is just wonderful, the huge mission church is spectacular and the ice cream shop is so good when it is hot. Just a beautiful oasis.

Third day stop by Mulege (couple of good breakfast joints) and Loreto for a drive thru (if you opted not to breakfast, have lunch at Auggie's on the malecon/beachfront (a local fave).

Then it is a pretty much straight shot to La Paz.

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 12:55 PM

Sounds like fun! PM sent

Derek
kencolamarino

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 03:08 PM

Geez...Get burned for two spelling mistakes. Some times when I type fast I hit the "H" instead of the "J". don Quijote would turn over in his grave. Thanks all for the info. A couple of days is OK with me. Depends on if I can find co driver for the trip. My rear end tends to get worn out driving around hour 10 in the Nissan.
It's really quite better than a beater, as it's been well maintained and only has 128,000 miles on it.

Thanks again,

Ken
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
My vote is to take it more slowly. San Quintin has some very nice hotels and a favorite is JARDINES which has a great restaurant that is closed on Mondays.

Second day San Ignacio (a must if you have never been there). The main square is just wonderful, the huge mission church is spectacular and the ice cream shop is so good when it is hot. Just a beautiful oasis.

Third day stop by Mulege (couple of good breakfast joints) and Loreto for a drive thru (if you opted not to breakfast, have lunch at Auggie's on the malecon/beachfront (a local fave).

Then it is a pretty much straight shot to La Paz.

Absolutely agree with Blanca. Overnight at Jardines and enjoy their superb restaurant then, go on to San Ignacio, or if daylight permits, to Santa Rosalia, where you can stay at El Morro and eat in town at El Muelle, the best restaurant in the area.
Have a wonderful and safe trip!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 05:24 PM

That's okay Ken! At least you didn't say The Baja or The Baha, as many of our Canadian friends do! ;)

I hope your trip is a great one and you do try and see what is along the 1,000-mile road BEFORE you get to Cabo!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

kencolamarino

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 07:55 AM

Well, the car carrier loaded the Nissan Frontier last night at 10:00 PM. It was the last to load, so he is on his way to Downey (Los Angeles), where it will be put on a smaller truck to go to Lemon Grove (San Diego) where I'll fly in, grab a cab, and pick it up early November 1. Gives me the day to pick up things I need at the Auto Zone, K Mart, and get Pesos. Have reservations at a Motel in San Ysidro for the night, get up at O'Dark thirty to cross at Chaparral, get my FMM, and head South on 1D. Still haven't made up my mind whether to make it a two or three day trip down Baja to San Jose.

Thanks for the advice on the trip and places to stay.

Have found that Google Earth is excellent and has street view even for the smallest towns.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Ysidro,+San+Diego,+CA/Gu...

That should show the Motel Kadekaman in Vizcaino

Ken
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 08:18 AM

Good for you, you'll have a great time! The drive is 20 to 24 hours for most people. Pick up pesos at the Costco in National City, no membership required. You can get pesos at the ATM's. Good for you.

[Edited on 10-20-2016 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 09:52 AM

Enjoy your trip kenko... I remember doing it from Tecate to San Jose in 17 hours 25+ years ago by my self... now it takes me a sleep over in El Rosario or GN to get to Mulege with my family... just enjoy your drive, specially if its your first time... its an adventure to say the least... and DON"T drive at night!!! I like stopping just past San Quintin at Parcela 12,

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=80569&got...

...this is an original Mexican Home Cooking all-u-can-eat buffet that is delicious and inexpensive, I think its km16 or 19 past SQ...

After the Bahia de los Angeles turn-off in El Rosarito also find another excellent place, Mauricio's:

BUENA SUERTE AMIGO...!!!

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Good for you, you'll have a great time! The drive is 20 to 24 hours for most people. Pick up pesos at the Costco in National City, no membership required. You can get pesos at the ATM's. Good for you.

MMc:

Inside Costco or around Costco?

[Edited on 10-20-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 09:55 AM

INM at San Ysidro is a 24/7 operation

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Sounds fun.

Since you're staying in San Ysidro might as well get that FMM that night so you can just start bombing south straight away in the morning.
I have no idea what time INM opens in the morning anymore or if it is now a 24 hour operation.

The best plan is a loose one.... you feel like San Ignacio the first day, with 11 hours of daylight that is easy enough... you feel like Cataviña the first day and Loreto the next, EZ PZ.....

Just have fun and enjoy.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 11:00 AM

carlosg:
It is the Costco in Chula Vista (unless there is one in National City also?).
I-5, exit Palomar, go east to Broadway, turn left and Costco is on the left a short distance north.
The money exchange window is INSIDE the Costco store, on the left (opposite the cash registers). Because it is inside the store, I presumed it was for members. However, Costco pharmacy does not require membership, so who knows?
They do close for lunch break, so avoid the hour around noon-1... not sure the exact hour they close.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 11:54 AM

Inside. I can;t believe I am posting a link to a map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Costco+Wholesale/@32.68389...

Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
Enjoy your trip kenko... I remember doing it from Tecate to San Jose in 17 hours 25+ years ago by my self... now it takes me a sleep over in El Rosario or GN to get to Mulege with my family... just enjoy your drive, specially if its your first time... its an adventure to say the least... and DON"T drive at night!!! I like stopping just past San Quintin at Parcela 12,

...this is an original Mexican Home Cooking all-u-can-eat buffet that is delicious and inexpensive, I think its km16 or 19 past SQ...

After the Bahia de los Angeles turn-off in El Rosarito also find another excellent place, Mauricio's:

BUENA SUERTE AMIGO...!!!

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  

MMc:

Inside Costco or around Costco?

[Edited on 10-20-2016 by carlosg]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That's okay Ken! At least you didn't say The Baja or The Baha, as many of our Canadian friends do! ;)

Now now, David ...

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 01:24 AM

I do hope you decide to take your time on this trip! It is really fun and so much to see. You will meet nice folks too.

We are off the beaten track but fishing is great right now so you can always extend the trip for another day or two and for $30 a night, have the ocean right in front of you. The cooperative will take you out for $250 or shore fishing for free. Take the time to smell the roses or in this case to see the cacti.

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Now now, David ...

I think I might call you, The Ged?
Have a great day, okay, eh?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.