Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: New locked Gate 2
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-23-2016 at 08:28 PM
New locked Gate 2

Ok fellow off road people. This is for off road people to post how to get along with Ranchers/people in Baja. Also good deeds,please do not post about politics in the US,or any Nomad B.S. To start with I have done rides to rise money for the kinder-garden here.Also helped on rides to rise money for local water district. Every year I take Volunteers from the states on off road ride.That work at Santa Marta for two weeks. Also from other off road people how do you react with ranchers.When passing there land,also give good tip to off road people.That are just starting off road.There is no locked gate number 2,had to start over because all the B.S.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 04:41 AM

Thanks for the change Larry. I know stopping and attempting a conversation with the ranch owner or workers goes a long way. A smile is the same in any language. Be considerate. I never understood the do whatever you want mentality.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 05:35 AM

I think part of that problem stems from the "I talked to a guy, who talked to a guy who said the landowner didn't care"......I cant even count the number of times I heard that. When asked for the name of the person they talked to..it was always something like "He was in a pickup" or something equally vague. AND I think a lot of people just don't care. Many of us reached the point where it was No access, no exceptions. It likely will be worse in Mexico where many gringos dont have the respect for "Mexicans'" they should have. It's their country and their ground. RESPECT

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 05:53 AM

Years ago we had a Canadian neighbor on Requeson with a new Razr that loved tearing everything up. I don't mean staying on roads; tearing up new terrain, and drunker than a baboon in a rum factory, and just as dumb. He'd scream through others' camps war-whooping and yelling "IT'S MEXICO ! ! THERE ARE NO RULES ! ! " My Mexican neidhbor put up a rope tope w/ sign, and he was gonna pull it away; unfortunately a small rock bit his toe and he fell face-first into his firewood bundle he tied on the back; split his nose wide open. I never laughed so hard for a full afternoon in my life.

Moral is, a lot of gringos come south because they think it's the 'wild-wooly-west, and it AIN'T. There are rules, written and unwritten, and laws to abide. Courtesy goes a loooong way.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

cj5orion
Nomad

Mood: time for a cervaza !!!

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 07:02 AM

:light::o

",please do not post about politics in the US,or any Nomad B.S."

hehehe

they wont listen !
probably hi jack this thread too !

ps:never had the pleasure to off-road in Baja...yet
but I do have a '80 cj5...constantly under renovation !!!

Home Remodels/Builds..Recession!
Gone BAJA BUILDIN/FISHIN !
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 07:11 AM

As a coordinator for local off-road races, I found out quickly the world of Baja is changing. It is growing up. Empty ejido land is no longer available to run across, fences are going up, and property owners are becoming more vocal in their opposition to people crossing their lands. Should we be surprised or upset? not really.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by cj5orion  
:light::o

",please do not post about politics in the US,or any Nomad B.S."

hehehe

they wont listen !
probably hi jack this thread too !

ps:never had the pleasure to off-road in Baja...yet
but I do have a '80 cj5...constantly under renovation !!!
I think your right about hi jack this tread,lets see the first nomad to blow it.:)
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 07:58 AM

You just did...

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:25 AM

Rt is right Baja is changing. My thing is to go on abandoned routes,that are no longer used or known.Example 50 miles from here we have been looking for route South then East. To get up to Forest after 30 years we found it.Me and a local rancher on bikes,first time after long ride.We get to small trailer up on hill Two cowboys eating lunch not too friendly. We are at gate 40 ft away we don't cross it. We yell could we talk to you they wave us in.After talking sharing food they state owner lives in my town. They give us access to pass,but say next time talk to the owner. We find one of the last routes (moto only) that goes where we want.Fighting brush/rocks and such many dead ends.Next step when we get home asking around I find where owner lives 3 blocks away. He is not home but his son is.Says he will be on rancho in 3 days talk to him there.So back again long haul this time on three bikes, two of them Mexican ranchers. As we are going up steep winding mountain road very narrow. On blind turn we are going,walking speed single file.Down hill owner in big 4x4 with horse trailer full. We meet he already knows who we are.We talk and comment about this fancy truck he has. He ends up granting us permission with conditions. He states please no GPS/or have others come here without the 3 of you.Also the first time I come around turn have near miss No Mas.Also if I catch someone else here,and they use your name to say its Ok. We will detain them we shake on it. To date his very large family comes to my home.For Moto tires used or tubes that you cant get here. They offer to pay I refuse just give it to them.Sorry for so long winded but I just wanted to tell,other unreasonable people.Like in the first thread how they ruin it for all. By the way this person as far as I know has not made amends to other rancho,or even talked about this.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-24-2016 at 08:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  

Rt is right Baja is changing.

My thing is to go on abandoned routes that are no longer used or known. Example 50 miles from here we have been looking for route South then East. To get up to Forest after 30 years we found it. Me and a local rancher on bikes, first time after long ride. We get to small trailer up on hill Two cowboys eating lunch not too friendly. We are at gate 40 ft away we don't cross it. We yell could we talk to you they wave us in.

After talking sharing food they state owner lives in my town. They give us access to pass, but say next time talk to the owner. We find one of the last routes (moto only) that goes where we want. Fighting brush/rocks and such many dead ends. Next step when we get home asking around I find where owner lives 3 blocks away. He is not home but his son is. Says he will be on rancho in 3 days talk to him there.

So back again long haul this time on three bikes, two of them Mexican ranchers. As we are going up steep winding mountain road very narrow. On blind turn, we are going, walking speed single file. Down hill owner in big 4x4 with horse trailer full. We meet he already knows who we are. We talk and comment about this fancy truck he has. He ends up granting us permission with conditions. He states please no GPS/or have others come here without the 3 of you.

Also, the first time I come around turn have near miss No Mas. Also if I catch someone else here, and they use your name to say its Ok. We will detain them we shake on it. To date, his very large family comes to my home. For Moto tires used or tubes that you cant get here. They offer to pay I refuse just give it to them.

Sorry for so long winded but I just wanted to tell, other unreasonable people. Like in the first thread how they ruin it for all. By the way, this person as far as I know has not made amends to other rancho or even talked about this.

Thank you, Larry!

[Edited on 8-24-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 02:56 PM

David I hope that people will respect gate closed number 2.So only off road people can help each other.Also people wanting off road info coming to Baja. Your maps have helped me a lot thank you. I'm still old school no GPS just a 30/40 year old map. It is amazing all the routs we find that are not on maps. When we find on my old map dirt road (Marked) its just a tight cow trail for motos. When we find (marked) trail, most have taken us 3/5 years to find the whole route. On one such ride one rider did have GPS on his bike. We are in tight canyon,fighting deep mud/large rocks/tree roots/thick brush. His GPS shows a road 4 miles away. To bad the gps did not say it was a death march to get there.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-25-2016 at 07:47 PM

Haha . Death march. I was just on one last weekend. Reminds me of the guys that look at Google Earth and say if you can see it you should be able to ride it. Good luck with that.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 10:40 AM

closed areas and locked gates, imagine the logistics involved in putting on the B1K! not a surprise we're not seeing anything special for the 50th....:(
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 03:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
closed areas and locked gates, imagine the logistics involved in putting on the B1K! not a surprise we're not seeing anything special for the 50th....:(

They should just move it somewhere else like DAKAR. Argentina would be way better for the baja 1000. Just think ruta 40. Similiar desert, better food and waaayyy better wine!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

They should just move it somewhere else like DAKAR. Argentina would be way better for the baja 1000. Just think ruta 40. Similiar desert, better food and waaayyy better wine!

yup, I see more mainland racing on the horizon...the sonora rally was awesome!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 03:24 PM

Dakar is NOT in Argentina...DUH!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 03:46 PM

Look at it from the land owners perspective. Roads cost money to maintain, and may last for a long time w/ little maintenance if used little and gently. The Baja 1k rips up roads, sometimes leaving road in pretty bad shape :no:
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 03:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Dakar is NOT in Argentina...DUH!

OK sorry chuchucky. THE DAKAR RALLY. :lol:

[Edited on 8-27-2016 by chippy]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 04:53 PM

Moral is, a lot of gringos come south because they think it's the 'wild-wooly-west, and it AIN'T. There are rules, written and unwritten, and laws to abide. Courtesy goes a loooong way. [/rquote]

So true.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2016 at 05:52 PM

Norman has said he plans to do a Baja 2000 type race for the 50th next year, like 1800 miles. All the races this year are being filmed and a special will be out for the Baja 1000 in 2017.

As far as the locked gates for the SCORE races Score works with the locals and ranches and some areas are off limits to pre-running. The problem is people coming down and just going where ever they want without regard to the property owner.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.