Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Poutine?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 04:33 AM
Poutine?

On one of the other threads, Motoged brought up "Poutine" Isnt that like "Haggis"? What is it? How is it made? Is there a Mexican equivalent? :?:

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 05:24 AM

pou·tine.

[po͞oˈtēn]

NOUN

1. CANADIAN - A dish of French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy

This gourmet dish, often sans queso, is gaining popularity in the mid west. I have ordered this in Baja, much to the confusion of the waiter. Mmmmmmm :bounce::bounce:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 05:37 AM

Low Calorie?:?::biggrin: When I was in school in Pa. We used to call that "French fries with gravy"

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 07:45 AM

Looking at a picture it reminds me of vomit.........lol

I hear the whales song
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
pou·tine.

[po͞oˈtēn]

NOUN

1. CANADIAN - A dish of French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy

This gourmet dish, often sans queso, is gaining popularity in the mid west. I have ordered this in Baja, much to the confusion of the waiter. Mmmmmmm :bounce::bounce:

Sounds right. Gourmet for the Canadians.

Also sounds like Animal Fries from In-&-Out. Fat equivalent for a week.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:11 AM

Traveling in British Columbia, Alberta, The Northwest Territories and the Yukon, when you order french fries, they automatically ask if you want gravy, and then if you add the cheese, it is poutine. I passed.

And if you order ice tea in a restaurant, it will be sweetened.

BTW-- Chuckie, we heard a lot more of the "Canadian" accent in Northern Alberta and the Territories. In some areas, it sounds almost like a German accent as there is a lot of German influence ---- in Faro, in the Yukon the signs in the campground were not in English and French as they are everywhere, but they were in English and German

Can't wait to get back to the Yukon

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:20 AM

Is the gravy beef stock, or chicken? Cheese curds; white or yellow (cheddar)? Does it vary Province to Province? Is fries and ketchup (mixed with mayo, the Utah 'fry sauce' way) really an insult?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:22 AM

That is great country. I was surprised, 2 years ago, in Saskatchewan, to find a community that was a bastion of French speaking folks. My family is from Western Canada, BC and Manitoba...I found, in wandering around the Prairie provinces that there were ethnic pockets that retained their home languages, plus English...I spent two days in the archive center in Whitehorse, researching my Grandpa Ferguson..quite a rascal it turned out (oot)

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:32 AM

I can honestly say I have NEVER eaten Putine....and I'm a canuck!!! There are pockets of French all over the place outside Quebec.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:37 AM

You were served vinegar with your french fries in Ontario, right? I always liked vinegar on fries when we went on our Canadian vacations.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:41 AM

stuff looks delicious to me....wonder if they offer it with sweet potato fries? :P
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:54 AM

I'm afraid to order it, concerned that I'm going to pronounce it as "putain" and be in all sorts of trouble.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 09:58 AM

When I was small, my Grandpa would take me to get fish and chips...served in a newspaper cone with salt and vinegar Price was .10 Canadian. My Mom always gave me an American dollar , when I paid with an American dollar , I got a Canadian dollar back! They were FREE!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Traveling in British Columbia, Alberta, The Northwest Territories and the Yukon, when you order french fries, they automatically ask if you want gravy, and then if you add the cheese, it is poutine. I passed.

And if you order ice tea in a restaurant, it will be sweetened.

BTW-- Chuckie, we heard a lot more of the "Canadian" accent in Northern Alberta and the Territories. In some areas, it sounds almost like a German accent as there is a lot of German influence ---- in Faro, in the Yukon the signs in the campground were not in English and French as they are everywhere, but they were in English and German

Can't wait to get back to the Yukon

Alberta has a large Ukranian population (332,180) too. Their traditional churches, with tin spires on the roofs, are everywhere.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 10:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
You were served vinegar with your french fries in Ontario, right? I always liked vinegar on fries when we went on our Canadian vacations.

guess that would be English malt vinegar?

Bob Durrell
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 10:32 AM

SINGLE malt..

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 11:46 AM

The German signs in the Yukon are often meant for tourists ....more than a large local population.

Vinegar (white) is the standard accompaniment w/ fries more than gravy and curds....malt vinegar comes with a more "British" fish and chip joint.

Accents!!!???? I cross into Washington and everyone has a different accent.....

Chuckie....I was born in Saskatchewan and grew up in Winnipeg (mostly)....maybe that is what feeds our close friendship? ;)

Shari.....there is still time to try some poutine....but I think you and I can appreciate that it isn't the star of Canadian cuisine...that might be reserved for cod tongue or butter tarts:

http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/12-foods-canada-has-given-the-world-besides-poutine/

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 12:20 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

To answer my own q. went to good ol' Wiki and found out the gravy is either chicken or turkey more so than a dark beef, and the cheese curds aren't 'cheddarred' yet, so are white. Great pic about a third of the way down the page. Also in 'variations' to answer another q. they do fix it with sweet potato fries.... sounds heavenly.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2016 at 05:37 PM

Heavenly? Yes!! But each serving takes 15 minutes off of your life, so be careful....:(

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.