BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  
Author: Subject: OH OH Hurricane Newton coming...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 08:12 AM

Thanks Shari, that looks nice! See the flash flood in Santa Rosalia video on Facebook! One of the two I saw is on Talk Baja: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/

[Edited on 9-7-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 08:45 AM

I am also interested in Sauls and La Fortuna area. (Mulege) Any Flood Heights and remnant mud information from our Nomads ?

Lee S
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 08:59 AM

It will take some time for people to get organized to get pics out and stuff. RE: La Fortuna, I talked to Terry this morning, he wasn't aware there had been a flood...so, Lee S be patient then you will likely gte more than you need..

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 09:04 AM

The videos that ended up on Facebook at Talk Baja show a much lower water level from the river at Mulege. Perhaps the diversion up above really did make a difference. The flooding down Montoya in Santa Rosalia was pretty wild which is the arroyo road that always seem to get a lot of water. The San Luciano Creek/Arroyo which is the first place south of town where they built the big bridge, did not carry great amounts of water, so Mulege may have come out well.
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 09:36 AM

Great photos Shari.

DK, can't get into the TalkBaja Facebook page, just goes to my page when I click on the link. Any ideas on how to join the group?

Here's a couple photos of Mulege in an article that just came out:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/estados/2016/09/7/newton-incomunica-poblados-de-bcs

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:06 AM

Hi Ted, just go onto your Facebook page and type in Talk Baja in the Facebook search/browser.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoTed  
Great photos Shari.

DK, can't get into the TalkBaja Facebook page, just goes to my page when I click on the link. Any ideas on how to join the group?

Here's a couple photos of Mulege in an article that just came out:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/estados/2016/09/7/newton-incomunica-poblados-de-bcs

I think those photos are from a posting and at least two of them are from San Ignacio. The pictures and videos I have seen of the river did not look as bad as normal. Alejandro Buckovecs posted pictures of El Oasis RV park this morning and it looks nothing like they did from Odile. No word from anyone if they think the diversion that the mine put in up in the mountains had any impact, but the river did not run as bad as the arroyo in Santa Rosalia.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:18 AM

The road under the Mulege highway bridge bit it (again).
https://www.facebook.com/raffita.romero?fref=ts

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 11:20 AM

Just in info from Mulege: power is out around town, cell phone service is up, just talked to Bill Havig w/report from Sergio Santos.

Havig's in the Oasis just upstream from the Jungle- no water in the house but it came up maybe a foot on their steps, so there there was water in the Jungle.
Fleming's #56 had a foot+ in the house, water not that muddy, Ron Brandt coupla doors upstream had <4ft in the garage.

By interpolation that means maybe 5-8 ft in houses at the Orchard depending on location, had to be water up into La Fortuna, no word on Saul's store (he's in La Paz). The concrete "Maelcon" on north river road is intact.

Per govt release: two wash outs on road between Loreto & Mulege, one between Sta.Rosalia and Guerrero Negro.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 02:04 PM

Just got off the phone with one of our workers in the Orchard..
Told me that tonart's old place had about 2' of water above the floor looks like..
I have some pictures sent by folks at the town end of the Orchard and it does not look as bad as the last couple of floods... don't think any structure damage or if any it's very little..
wish I could post the pics but can't get there with these yet
looks like the streets got moved some...
if you want to see pics send me an email to fwd to...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
fishnbaja1

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 02:44 PM

Just a clarification:

The Orchard didn't get 5-8 feet of water. Water got inside a few of the homes, and when it did, it was only about 1 inch. This from pictures and verbal communication from friends in the scene.

Thanks.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 03:09 PM

Alejandro Bucovecz posted great pics from Oasis and Orchard. The water was a lot lower than Hurricane Odile, and most of the homes had little if any damage. No water lines up on the sides of the buildings.
I copied all of the pics I found today on my Facebook page for Jim Anderson.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 03:45 PM

What? You mean I don't get to rebuild my ceiling fans again?

I guess the season is just getting started so I can still spend time looking at the satellite pics.

This IS the year that I bring down about a peck of outlets and switches. Some of this stuff has been through six storms and the lights sometime come on and off at unexpected times.

I wish the mud that comes in each time was better for the yard plants. Somehow it gets polluted with some salt.

Now to get Casa Hogar all cleaned up and going.

Life in Floodlandia.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 06:57 PM

I hear the hurricane flooded the salt/mud flats and cut off san ignacio lagoon area.
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 10:30 PM

You heard correctly! I saw a photo today of the dirt road to the Laguna after you have reached the end of the pavement. At a certain point, well before you can even see the usual laguna, the road ended and gave way to what looked like a huge estuary or inlet. It is competely flooded and undrivable back there at the moment. Also, the road from San Juanico is Cuidad de las Insurgentes is impassable, but everything should dry out in a few days.

[Edited on 9-8-2016 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 06:56 AM

Newton was a Cat 1 arriving here in Pescadero off the Pacific. Very strong wind gusts and heavy bands of rain ! Prolly 80/90 mph. Hijole! front side lasted 4/5 hrs and then power went out and the calm of the eye. Back side of storm was even stronger. My Palms and Cocos took a beating but nothing down. Lots of shredded foliage and branches. Palapas combed back up. No Odile but quite a long, rough night! More reports later . Power back on yesterday pm and this morning Internet and phone service up! Funny, TV and Weather Channel working thru the whole storm w/generator. Can't imagine a bigger storm. Tomas
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 10:33 AM

thank you for the reports...glad you survived it intact Tio....let's hope that was this season's biggy...but we still have a month to go...bring some organic veggies if there are any left there porfa!

Any other road reports today? Is the highway open between GN & Sta.Rosalia yet? How did the yurts do in SA?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Juanita
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:44 PM

In San Ignacio pueblo the flood was a little less high than the great crecientes of 2014 and 2009, but still higher than the floods before 2009, however the water subsided very quickly. The entry road was cut again at Manual Pilar's camp, Los Petates, but the gap has been filled with rock and we can now drive in and out in normal cars, with only about 8 inches of flow continuing across the road at the lake. The old town got power back Thursday morning (today); the other areas north of the lake already had power. The town water pump is still out and a few of the new street lights fell where the flow was strong. I drove out once today and saw Terry and Gary Marcer driving into town in their pickup, but haven't had a chance to talk to them. That last arroyo which smacks Ignacio Springs from the north side, Arroyo San Atanacio, did not run, so at least they were spared that much water.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:47 PM

Thank you Juanita!
Is the La Huerta motel okay?

bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:59 PM

Thanks Juanita and great to hear from you! And glad to hear that people in San Ignacio are doing OK. Our experience here at La Aguja was much the same as tiotomas in El Pescadero. We were kind of surprised that the back side of the storm was so much stronger than the front, but it sure was! Damage is mostly snapped tree branches and repairing a couple of spots in the road.
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.