BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Is there any cell phone coverage in BOLA?
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 07:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Didn't everyone who got on the Internet before 2000 have Dial Up, like AOL?

Not everyone, I had internet access by microwave for the hotels in Rosarito before 2000.

Can you explain how the Internet gets to L.A. Bay, and to smart phones there, please?

No, I can not explain how internet gets to LA Bay, I don't know if they buried optics or if it's by satellite, but no one asked that question. Now from there to smartphones is easy, WiFi.

Now, for the third time David how do you get internet to your home of business?

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Maybe this will help you out David.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

I asked if there are telephone lines into L.A. Bay, not what DSL is (which needs a telephone line).

Never mind then.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fdt  
I was there in February and no, still no cel phone service but now there are land lines, the area code is 200.

Ass for the kids with cell phones (smartphones) is for many reasons; selfies, pictures and video and with WiFi facebook and very important and most popular in México is Whatsapp.

http://www.webwise.ie/parents/explainer-whatsapp/

Thank Ferna for explaining there are land lines.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 9-4-2016 at 08:02 PM

[/rquote]

When did you ask me about my service?
If it matters, from the cable company DSL over the phone lines/ cable lines.

After you posted your digestible dial up term. But in any case I see that you get internet the same way they get it in LA Bay, funny.
Now that you sent me back to re read how many times I actually asked you, I see that you deleted some of your posts. That does not make you a man of your words.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 12:52 AM

When my posts are quoted, there is no need to have them seen here twice. Helping the thread stay clean of duplications. Sorry for the language barrier.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2016 at 03:53 AM

DeLorme makes a device that can send/receive satellite messages. Works great in Baja!

http://12tomatoes.com/spinach-bacon-spag-squash/?utm_source=...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 12:50 PM

How are they getting land line phone numbers or are they?
Ferna told Willard (above) that they are getting Internet over land lines.

I think it's satellite. If there was a landline, very few would run internet or phone over satellite. How they are getting land line numbers, puzzles me.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
How are they getting land line phone numbers or are they?
Ferna told Willard (above) that they are getting Internet over land lines.

I think it's satellite. If there was a landline, very few would run internet or phone over satellite. How they are getting land line numbers, puzzles me.

Well, I don't normally throw out 2nd (or 3rd/4th) hand information but since everything so far is speculation or misinformation I may as well add to the confusion. The rumor: the telco does have a limited number of numbers in town. I don't know if it copper, fiber, or microwave relay back to a central office but a few places have a real phone. The story I heard was that after all the problems CFE had getting electricity set up the telco didn't want to mess with making phones available to all, or maybe they thought cell would be there by now and no need to invest in an obsolete technology. I've also heard cell service would be there by now but I don't put much stock in that rumor until I see it.

I'm pretty sure all internet is via satellite, and you can use a cell phone over a wi-fi connection which several places in town have available. They all have dishes and incredibly slow internet service due to overuse.

If they don't have fiber into town and a central telco office I don't think they can do DSL over twisted copper for internet. Copper doesn't cut it for high-speed data. Or, maybe that's why things are so slow, with copper telco line coming into town you would have dialup modem speed.

Back to Bowsers original question -- if cell service isn't there when your buddy's house is finished have him contact LarryC here for satellite service info and he can use his cell phone through that. Or MagicJack or any other VOIP service. Works perfectly through Exede.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 05:33 PM

Landline with limited bandwidth would be a plausible explanation indeed.

To add to the confusion ;), satellite service through Exede isn't quite there yet, i.e. legally and technically, according to the Exede. Their bird for Mexico and Latin America will be launched "later this year", no further details announced. Not to say that there is no Exede reception in BOLA.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 06:18 PM

Exede works pretty well in Bahia, you just have to give them an Arizona address, the beam that services Arizona stretches all the way down into baja. The town gets their internet from 2 places, the cheapest is from Guerro Negro by radio wave and repeaters in the hills above town. the second way is by satellite from a Mexican bird, that is what the long distance phone store uses. Most gringos and a few Mexicans in town are using Exede and a few people are using Hughes net. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2016 at 08:20 PM

Thanks Larry. I'll go back to not repeating anything I don't see for myself.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Thanks Larry. I'll go back to not repeating anything I don't see for myself.

Actually your info was correct enough at least for a town this size.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 02:37 PM

I would rather see "more internet" than more cell, in BOLA. Better/easier/cheaper, whatever. Fiber optic would've been ideal. In this village you're never more than few miles from home, and there you have internet and can add VOIP phone.

Cell isn't really a substitute for internet, wireless data plans over 5-6 GB a month are ridiculously expensive. With video streaming services like Netflix you need at least 60 GB a month.

Other than teenagers with their constant urge to socialize, be seen and heard, who even needs a cell in this town? :)
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2016 at 08:24 PM

Thanks to all who replied. As usual I learned a bunch from all of you.

I will make sure my friend meets Larry C. and tell him to not bother with Mx cell phone coverage.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 05:58 AM

I like reminding my boss that i'll be off grid without cell or internet. They just shake their heads in disbelief! Hey, it's why we go.

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 06:31 AM

Larry is the KING of knowledge in LA Bay. We all go to him when we have a question about practically anything. Yes, several restaurants, hotels, and lots of town folk have internet service. It is all sat based as far as I know. Several of my neighbors use Excede. It works fine. I find the best way to communicate is for both parties to send iMessage texts on their iPhones or Mac computers. It works just like a text message, is instantaneous, and doesn't rely on cell towers.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.