Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Northern Lights
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 10:59 AM
Northern Lights

Can't add much to Diane's wonderful report on Alaska except that we saw the Northern Lights for the first time in our lives. They are truly magnificent.

IMG_3477_psd1_1000px.jpg - 218kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 11:01 AM

The Northern Lights correspond to Baja's sunsets in my mind. A baja sunset one does not easily forget. The same in Alaska above the Arctic Circle.

IMG_3466_psd1_1000px.jpg - 227kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 11:04 AM

Often they move very fast across the sky, requiring a fairly fast shutter speed.

[Edited on 9-8-2016 by Skipjack Joe]

IMG_3479_1000px.jpg - 225kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 11:07 AM

Mostly I shot using the trees as a frame of reference. But in this case I just pointed the camera straight up. I liked the design on this one.

IMG_3483_psd1_800px.jpg - 198kB
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 11:11 AM

These shots were made with the Canon 6D with the lens wide open at F4.0 and an ISO of about 2000. The shutter speed was sometimes less than a second. If you shoot long exposures the light moves around and looks like a cloud effect. The Northern Lights themselves actually are pretty distinct.

P.S. Through experimentation i also discovered that the images look more like the real thing if you adjust the white balance much cooler than daylight temperatures in photoshop.

[Edited on 9-8-2016 by Skipjack Joe]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 01:52 PM

Love the second shot, with the treeline. What a great experience!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:09 PM

Nice work!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:23 PM

Awesome photos! Where were they taken? The only time I have seen them was while camping in Baja, during a rare... far-south showing... around 1980-81, I think?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:38 PM

These were taken from the Denali Highway, a dirt to road That extends about 100 miles. I also took some along the Dalton highway just south of Prudhoe Bay. The locals call it 'the Haul Road'.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 02:49 PM

so, all those places are in Alaska, correct? Never been... thanks!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 03:35 PM

Oh WOW. Those are gorgeous. We have not been there at the right time. We talk about flying into Whitehorse in the winter to see the lights. Your photos make me want to go even more.

Akso, I would LOVE to see more of your photos from this trip!

We are driving toward Wisconsin right now to hopefully see different fall colors, eat some great cheese, and enjoy the little beer bars on every corner. Who knows, maybe we will drive far enough north to get a glimpse of the lights.

Also, thanks for the shooting info. Love those photos.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 04:50 PM

Chena Hot Springs just east of Fairbanks, is a very popular destination for tourists (mostly from Asia) to view the northern lights while soaking in hot springs. They also build an ice museum as an added attraction.

Manley hot springs, just west of Fairbanks also caters to tourists and locals, but I have not actually used either of the springs, so can't make a recommendation.

It is a hit or miss kind of thing whether there are great displays, meager, or non at all...but the springs are still hot all the time!

By chance, I have seen some spectacular lights in South Central AK, but you have to be away from the Anchorage city lights to get the best effect.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2016 at 04:54 PM

Diane,

As you see these pictures were taken in August so you don't have to wait for winter!

I was told that it would start occurring after 8/21 because it never gets dark enough before that. I paid little attention to this advice thinking that it's rare and what are my chances. One night I got up at 2 to take care of business and the sky was lit up like a blue/green baja sunset. I hadn't done night photography in 5 years so I scrambled around in the dark putting it all together and trying to remember the settings. I got off 2 shots before it shut down. They come in waves starting at one horizon, passing overhead to the opposite. Sometimes so fast that it looked like one of those kaleidoscopes you turn by hand. Then it all stopped an I waited in vain.

Several nights later it started again. Another mad scramble as I put my shoes on backwards. But I got smarter with the camera. I underexposed them and compensated in Photoshop. Another great night with bands of light starting at My Denali. We were socked by rain during the trip so these two clear nights were a blessing.

They say there are websites and radio programs in Fairbanks that forecast these events and the time they come off.

Most of my images these days are more on the artsy side. Don't know how interested nomads are in that sort of thing. They're not destination or travelogue images.

[Edited on 9-9-2016 by Skipjack Joe]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 05:28 AM

Awesome pictures. I got to see them in montana once but they weren't as vivid as your pictures.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.