Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: camping in an rv at tecolote in la paz
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-13-2016 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i find that El Centenario smells like a brothel at low tide.

You need to find a better brothel! I agree that that end of the bay can stink at low tide, but that has nothing to do with anything else in this thread.

Actually almost any brothel anywhere smells better than the bay there at low tide. This has nothing to do with the thread either unless you decide you want to camp/live there. Tecolote is an excellent choice and is open, free and beautiful. It has great access to frolic and dive in the water too. In the winter you will be likely to experience several "wind events" (strong north winds lasting from a couple of days to several). This is normal and effects all of Baja Sur when it comes.

[Edited on 9-13-2016 by weebray]

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-13-2016 at 09:43 PM
Tecolote

Teocolote is an awesome place to camp. Number one it is free. Had great restaurants close by. Lots of cool peeps camping there. However the wind can be a problem and very tiring at times. The beach may be quite deserted in October re campers but by the end of November it's picking up. Elena should be there with her fifth wheel and John (wheelchair) should be there maybe first week in November....People don't often go there before hurricane season is over Which is a very good plan but if you need to be there at that time I guess you're ready for that kind of weather. Myself I don't even think about driving down until the end of October and I've done this for lots of years. I have spend a lot of time at Tecolote over the years Two things to be concerned about these days Theft (don't leave anything outside your camper that you're not willing to part with and be ready for wind...maybe not so much in October though. Be careful if there has been rain about getting into the camping area (best on right as you come to end of road) better to drive along the beach road just above where the palapas are good luck !! Might see you there first week of November!!
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 9-13-2016 at 11:35 PM

Camped there once, we were in a tent. By morning the small tent was half covered with sand. I think it was pretty much just a steady wind, nothing really harsh, as the tent might have let go it's anchors otherwise. This was 1999 - so, ancient history now. The water there was very beautiful, and I'm sure will be the same now. Nice to see frizkie here again, she has a lot of answers regarding Baja Sur.
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 04:45 AM

thanks for the wind advisory, frizkie, and the parking advice. i had to be hauled out of an unexpected trench of mud at tecolote a couple years ago. i will plan to be with friends in town if the weather is at all risky. and while not fond of wind that goes on for days, i have experienced same in Asuncion and feel like it would be most ungrateful of me to complain that life at the beach is not perfect! it's as close as I need this side of Espiritu Santo, where my soul is going to camp once my body bites the dust.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-14-2016 at 12:09 PM

One additional note: HAD is the operative word for restaurants there. It is very hit and miss there now. As with most places in Baja California cooks there have no idea how to cook fish.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 09:11 AM

Well, just decided NOT to attempt Tecolote as my first place to camp when I hit La Paz, cuz I really do want more infrastructure, at least to begin with. So, I will find a furnished studio or an inexpensive RV campground. Can't wait to get home to the Baja after weeks in the USA!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.