DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 05:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDXLmYyFu4I

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 05:52 PM

@ Dennis,,,,, one gezillion percent right!!!! (I`m an Alan Jackson fan anyway - Western Music overall. But that`s not the reason for my agreement)

@MrBillM,,,,,, looking at the % % % same as above.

@ all those who think sticking the ?/&% into the extended part of the back of your partner is cool - think again.
S O R R Y but it needs some clear words for those who are supporting.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:36 PM

A few here seem to confuse their opinions with the concept of "fact".
Perhaps they could acknowledge that their "facts" are simply their narrow-minded and myopic views and are, in no way facts:

From Wikipedia:

A fact is something that has really occurred or is actually the case. The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is, whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experiments or other means).

Etymology and usage

The word fact derives from the Latin factum, and was first used in English with the same meaning: a thing done or performed, a meaning now obsolete.[1] The common usage of "something that has really occurred or is the case" dates from the middle of the sixteenth century.[2]

Fact is sometimes used synonymously with truth, as distinct from opinions, falsehoods, or matters of taste. This use is found in such phrases as, "It is a fact that the cup is blue" or "Matter of fact",[3] and "... not history, nor fact, but imagination." Filmmaker Werner Herzog distinguishes clearly between the two, claiming that "Fact creates norms, and truth illumination."[4]

Fact also indicates a matter under discussion deemed to be true or correct, such as to emphasize a point or prove a disputed issue; (e.g., "... the fact of the matter is ...").[5][6]

Alternatively, fact may also indicate an allegation or stipulation of something that may or may not be a true fact,[7] (e.g., "the author's facts are not trustworthy"). This alternate usage, although contested by some, has a long history in standard English.[8]

Fact may also indicate findings derived through a process of evaluation, including review of testimony, direct observation, or otherwise; as distinguishable from matters of inference or speculation.[9] This use is reflected in the terms "fact-find" and "fact-finder" (e.g., "set up a fact-finding commission").[10]

Facts may be checked by reason, experiment, personal experience, or may be argued from authority. Roger Bacon wrote "If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."[11]
In philosophy

In philosophy, the concept fact is considered in epistemology and ontology. Questions of objectivity and truth are closely associated with questions of fact. A "fact" can be defined as something that is the case—that is, a state of affairs.[12][13]

Facts may be understood as information that makes a true sentence true.[14] Facts may also be understood as those things to which a true sentence refers. The statement "Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system" is about the fact Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system.[15]
Correspondence and the slingshot argument

Engel's version of the correspondence theory of truth explains that what makes a sentence true is that it corresponds to a fact.[16] This theory presupposes the existence of an objective world.

The Slingshot argument claims to show that all true statements stand for the same thing - the truth value true. If this argument holds, and facts are taken to be what true statements stand for, then we reach the counter-intuitive conclusion that there is only one fact - the truth.[17]
Compound facts

Any non-trivial true statement about reality is necessarily an abstraction composed of a complex of objects and properties or relations.[18] For example, the fact described by the true statement "Paris is the capital city of France" implies that there is such a place as Paris, there is such a place as France, there are such things as capital cities, as well as that France has a government, that the government of France has the power to define its capital city, and that the French government has chosen Paris to be the capital, that there is such a thing as a place or a government, and so on. The verifiable accuracy of all of these assertions, if facts themselves, may coincide to create the fact that Paris is the capital of France.

Difficulties arise, however, in attempting to identify the constituent parts of negative, modal, disjunctive, or moral facts.[19]
Fact–value distinction
Main article: Fact–value distinction

Moral philosophers since David Hume have debated whether values are objective, and thus factual. In A Treatise of Human Nature Hume pointed out there is no obvious way for a series of statements about what ought to be the case to be derived from a series of statements of what is the case. Those who insist there is a logical gulf between facts and values, such that it is fallacious to attempt to derive values from facts, include G. E. Moore, who called attempting to do so the naturalistic fallacy.
Factual–counterfactual distinction
Main article: Counterfactual conditional

Factuality—what has occurred—can also be contrasted with counterfactuality: what might have occurred, but did not. A counterfactual conditional or subjunctive conditional is a conditional (or "if-then") statement indicating what would be the case if events had been other than they actually are. For example, "If Alexander had lived, his empire would have been greater than Rome." This contrasts with an indicative conditional, which indicates what is (in fact) the case if its antecedent is (in fact) true—for example, "If you drink this, it will make you well."

Such sentences are important to modal logic, especially since the development of possible world semantics.
In science
Further information: scientific method and philosophy of science

In science, a fact is a repeatable careful observation or measurement (by experimentation or other means), also called empirical evidence. Facts are central to building scientific theories. Various forms of observation and measurement lead to fundamental questions about the scientific method, and the scope and validity of scientific reasoning.

In the most basic sense, a scientific fact is an objective and verifiable observation, in contrast with a hypothesis or theory, which is intended to explain or interpret facts.[20]

Various scholars have offered significant refinements to this basic formulation. Scientists are careful to distinguish between: 1) states of affairs in the external world and 2) assertions of fact that may be considered relevant in scientific analysis. The term is used in both senses in the philosophy of science.[21]

Scholars and clinical researchers in both the social and natural sciences have written about numerous questions and theories that arise in the attempt to clarify the fundamental nature of scientific fact.[22] Pertinent issues raised by this inquiry include:

the process by which "established fact" becomes recognized and accepted as such;[23]
whether and to what extent "fact" and "theoretic explanation" can be considered truly independent and separable from one another;[24][25]
to what extent "facts" are influenced by the mere act of observation;[25] and
to what extent factual conclusions are influenced by history and consensus, rather than a strictly systematic methodology.[26]

Consistent with the theory of confirmation holism, some scholars assert "fact" to be necessarily "theory-laden" to some degree. Thomas Kuhn points out that knowing what facts to measure, and how to measure them, requires the use of other theories. For example, the age of fossils is based on radiometric dating, which is justified by reasoning that radioactive decay follows a Poisson process rather than a Bernoulli process. Similarly, Percy Williams Bridgman is credited with the methodological position known as operationalism, which asserts that all observations are not only influenced, but necessarily defined by the means and assumptions used to measure them.
The scientific method

Apart from the fundamental inquiry into the nature of scientific fact, there remain the practical and social considerations of how fact is investigated, established, and substantiated through the proper application of the scientific method.[27] Scientific facts are generally believed independent of the observer: no matter who performs a scientific experiment, all observers agree on the outcome.[28] In addition to these considerations, there are the social and institutional measures, such as peer review and accreditation, that are intended to promote factual accuracy (among other interests) in scientific study.[29]

One researcher described the place of facts in science as follows:[30]

In case the difference between evidence and medical evidence or the difference between facts and scientific facts eludes you, let me explain. If I have a headache or a fever, that’s not a fact except to me. If I tell a doctor about it, that’s what doctors call anecdotal evidence or testimonial. If the doctor takes my temperature and writes it down, the headache becomes medical evidence. If another doctor copies it, it becomes a scientific fact. Should I need proof that my fever was 101 last Tuesday and ask my doctor for my chart, it will not be given to me. That plain garden variety fact has now become a scientific fact. It’s only available to another doctor. If I complain the doctor won’t give me the scientific facts about my past condition, that’s anecdotal evidence again.

In history
Further information: Historiography

A common rhetorical cliché states, "History is written by the winners." This phrase suggests but does not examine the use of facts in the writing of history.

E. H. Carr in his 1961 volume What is History? argues that the inherent biases from the gathering of facts makes the objective truth of any historical perspective idealistic and impossible. Facts are, "like fish in the Ocean," of which we may only happen to catch a few, only an indication of what is below the surface. Even a dragnet cannot tell us for certain what it would be like to live below the Ocean's surface. Even if we do not discard any facts (or fish) presented, we will always miss the majority; the site of our fishing, the methods undertaken, the weather and even luck play a vital role in what we will catch. Additionally, the composition of history is inevitably made up by the compilation of many different biases of fact finding - all compounded over time. He concludes that for a historian to attempt a more objective method, one must accept that history can only aspire to a conversation of the present with the past - and that one's methods of fact gathering should be openly examined. Historical truth and facts therefore change over time, and reflect only the present consensus (if that)...."

Don't believe everything you think....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:21 PM
The Nature of Life

The "Unnatural" line is always good for a response. A cheap recreational provocation with no other purpose.

BUT, clearly correct.

Strictly Speaking.

Setting aside any religious thinking, the purpose of sexual activity in nature is procreation to maintain the species.

So, of course, ANY activity outside that purpose isn't natural.

Whether Hetero or Homo.

That said, personally, I could care less what activities (including Marriage) Queers indulge in.

And, on the upside, they are (in the most flaming examples) great to make fun of like many other human oddities.

Which, I'm sure, is what God, Allah, Buddha or [insert Idol here] intended.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 12:10 AM

Bill Bill Bill... there you go again. Let it go. That guy you played around with after gym class...it was nothing. We don't think you are gay! No matter how many times you bring it up, comment on it, insult people... it doesn't matter honey buns...you are straight as an arrow! Though...some of us worry about those Broadway musicals you hum ever so softly...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 08:02 AM
Personal Experience has Shown...................

It's ALL in Fun.

Possessing (since Grade-School days), a (justifiable) contempt for the A-sses among the Ma-sses and an appreciation for Schadenfreude years before it was known as such in the U.S., I have enjoyed the recreational pursuit of provoking and ridiculing the Oddities in society.

"Telling it Like it IS". More or less.

Blessed with a way for words and a moderate verbal talent supplementing my "somewhat" Misanthropic nature, I've enjoyed 60+ years of being that "Arrogant, SmartA-ssed, insulting Jerk (?)" many co-workers described.

Queers, Retards, those whose (sometimes hilarious) poor decisions lead to disaster (and often) death and dismemberment, anything which provides fodder for Black Humor, Bad Jokes in Poor Taste, derision..................It's ALL Good.

Call me a Crazy Dude. Many have (school mates, co-workers, friends, casual acquaintances, strangers), but "so what" ?

Well into the final stretch in a (fairly) long life, retired comfortably enough to never entertain the possibility of needing to work (with others) again and having a core of friends/acquaintances who get along with my unique character AND always packing a pistol when out and about just in case I tick off the wrong guy, it's a sure bet that I'll finish out on the same track that I've been on for all those years.

Enjoying all of the misjudgement, misbehavior and misfortune of mankind which makes for great entertainment.

It's ALL just Good Clean Harmless Fun affecting No One.

Si Si ?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 08:16 AM

MrBillM, you are an agent provocateur and an early Internet troll. Everybody should be good at something I suppose.

JC43, your opinion of the LGBT community is at odds with the majority of people that compose western civilization. But, take heart, there are 100s of millions of like minded people. Conservative Muslims agree with you. Have you thought about moving to Somalia, Syria, perhaps the Democratic Republic of Congo?

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by SFandH]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

Setting aside any religious thinking, the purpose of sexual activity in nature is procreation to maintain the species.

Hey, set aside what you want Bill. The ''idea'' that making love's sole ''purpose'' is procreation, comes from the church. And that's where you got the idea. Deny it if you want. You come across as a bible thumper. Nobody here really cares.

Writing about this stuff is fun -- like you wrote. I'm guessing it's also tittilating for you, isn't it?

Again, not a big deal here. I know some closet queers -- sad thing they'll probably never realize their true destiny.

If I were to allow myself a visualization, you and your wife doing the butt-thingy is more disgusting than what 2 men or 2 womyn could possibly do. But I don't go there.

Have a good day.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

So, of course, ANY activity outside that purpose isn't natural.

Simply an opinion, Mr Bile.

Scientific research has indicated that some species enjoy sexual activity for the "fun" of it, so they are motivated by primal urges beyond reproduction.

Too bad you can't do that...:rolleyes:

However, I appreciate your confession as to not being able to manage your verbal impulsivity....and that you are willing to shoot those you offend and who are willing to let you know it.

Wrapped up in your cocoon of self-righteous arrogance must be a warm fuzzy place for you...:no:

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by motoged]

[Edited on 9-28-2016 by BajaNomad]

Don't believe everything you think....
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
MrBillM, you are an agent provocateur and an early Internet troll. Everybody should be good at something I suppose.

JC43, your opinion of the LGBT community is at odds with the majority of people that compose western civilization. But, take heart, there are 100s of millions of like minded people. Conservative Muslims agree with you. Have you thought about moving to Somalia, Syria, perhaps the Democratic Republic of Congo?

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by SFandH]

You forgot what the headline of this thread is all about! MEXICO - and Baja is a part of Mexico and you call yourself Baja Lover, right? - is protesting the gay movement/marriage etc. O.K., they probably do it out of religious reasons, which play no part in my thinking. And you are not a good learner! I stated that I tolerate gays and lesbians as they are possible around since ever. (which does not mean that I am accepting them as completely healthy)
But my point - and read it again - is, they are somehow sick,,,, illness they have. They are not what nature created when evolution created mankind.
O.K., to all those who are supporting gays and lesbians: Think about the fact if your father was gay and your mother was a lesbian. They never would have created YOU ! Is that clear enough now? And again: If everybody roaming this planet would be gay from tomorrow on, mankind would disappear within less than 100 years. This world would be better off I think.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
[
They are not what nature created when evolution created mankind.

It appears that nature/evolution created homosexuals.
If nature/evolution did not create homosexuality, then what did?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

O.K., to all those who are supporting gays and lesbians: Think about the fact if your father was gay and your mother was a lesbian. They never would have created YOU ! Is that clear enough now? And again: If everybody roaming this planet would be gay from tomorrow on, mankind would disappear within less than 100 years. This world would be better off I think.

Let me get this straight. I should care if a gay neighbor has kids or not?

And I should be attached to whether ''mankind would disappear'' or not?

Verbal masturbation. You're good at that.

You don't get out much, do you?

Oh, and about those protestors in Mexico? You got that info from reading about it, didn't you? Please please please stop believing everything you read?

Try to have an original thought?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:38 AM

The world would be better off if about a hundred million people chose not to breed for whatever reason!

A low birth rate is better for humanity than catastrophe, natural or man made!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:42 AM

Good point, choice is a key consideration. JC43 thinks homosexuals are "sick" because they don't procreate.

JC43, If my mother and father decided to not have kids, would you consider them sick?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 12:08 PM
Let Live and Get By .....................

Or Live and Let Die ?

I don't HATE Homos. I don't care one way or the other. No Religious motivation on my part in judging perversion.

They can Bugger each other's Butts to their hearts content. Preferably playing with each others privates in private.

I wouldn't be a good fit with the Conservative Muslims (who should be Nuked) OR Super-Christians OR [insert preferred Deity here].

At this stage of life, and having generally (mostly) a lack of interest in whether the majority of people live or die, starve, suffer from incredible deprivation or disease, whatever.................observing societal conflicts and carnage is a recreational pursuit.

As long as it doesn't affect me financially or otherwise, it's just good reading and/or GREAT TV.

Charlotte was an example. GOOD entertainment kept from being GREAT by the fact that the Riot potential fell flat.

I kept setting the DVR to coincide with Darkness falling and erasing the coverage the next day.

Disappointed.

I do have the Police/Family videos from CNN preserved for future "Popcorn" moments.

It's OK to think me Crazy but, at least, accept that I'm sincere.

Anyway, it's OK with me for Mexico to embrace Homo couplings.

So, we're on the same page, right ?

More or Less.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 03:39 PM

Mr. Bile,
You have to be the biggest racist, homophob idiot on this board...and that's saying something...but not to worry JC43 is running a close second.

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 04:42 PM
Outstanding at Standing Out ?

Although it "may" be subtle........................I DO get the impression that I'm being insulted.

BUT, I "could" be WRONG.

Not that it matters.
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 05:08 PM

Mr. Bill,

While you're passive aggressive attitude may seem cute to you and you're patio buddies, it is that exact asinine attitude that leads thousands of gay youth every year to take their own lives. But you apparently can laugh that off with all your verbal diarrhea and nonsense justifying stupidity and arrogance. If you think gay sex is unnatural, then go take a fling at yourself, you burrohat.

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by 23S52N]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 05:22 PM

Personal opinions never killed anyone. Why blame other's weaknesses on Mr. Bill?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.