Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: costa palmas
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2016 at 04:02 PM
costa palmas

How is this project progressing? google maps has not updated for some time now.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2016 at 10:59 PM

They are doing some limited dredging to continue to accommodate the 10 to 20 large pleasure boats now in slips in the marina.

They are slowly building 4 bungalows on the beach (what began as a plan for a small Four Seasons style hotel).

Not much for google to display yet.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 03:04 PM

slow progress in Mexico. Do you think the Hotel will ever materialize? Or maybe they are needing to sell lots and condo space before they build to finance it all.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 03:14 PM

That's probably not too good of a start for a resort that hopes to sell units between 1 and 20 million dollars, each. They do know this is Mexico, right?
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 03:50 PM

My guess is that the owners of Costa Palmas have a pretty good idea of what they are doing out there.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 06:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
My guess is that the owners of Costa Palmas have a pretty good idea of what they are doing out there.
And I'll bet that's exactly what the original investors, owners & developer thought. If the "road to hell is paved with good intentions", let's hope this project takes a detour. :P We'll have to hide & watch, I guess. I sincerely hope they finish what others have started.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
And I'll bet that's exactly what the original investors, owners & developer thought. If the "road to hell is paved with good intentions", let's hope this project takes a detour. :P We'll have to hide & watch, I guess. I sincerely hope they finish what others have started.

It isn't unusual for projects like this to change hands, management or direction several times before it is completely finished in any country especially Mexico. Things change down here, political parties change, permits once in place are revoked until the new guy is paid, economies change. If you know the history of projects in the US you would see that change is the norm. This project will be completed, probably not as it is drawn up today and maybe not even with the current owners. These guys aren't stupid, there is a lot more going on than meets the eye.

I wouldn't worry too much about the original owners/developers, they didn't go walking down the road kicking stones broke and homeless, they made money, so will the new guys and the next....

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 07:37 PM

Perhaps someday you folks will have your own vacant, concrete monoliths....like the ones across the bay from La Paz!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 08:21 AM

Just a reminder: Irongate bought the Four Seasons of Canada name for its anchor property which was to be a 145 room hotel. Then they decided not to build a hotel and advertised 145 KEY resort (one must assume they meant 1 key for each room). Then they began to build and furnish 4 bungalows on the beach to showcase what might come next. The bungalows and sultry sirens are most photogenic in their new ads so we'll see how that goes.

It has been a struggle: their first ads said the project was in Los Cabos, now they have moved it to East Cape but they still refrain from using La Ribera as an address (not wanting to remind anyone that the location was formerly known as Cabo Riviera and it stopped dead and is/was defunct. I think Jason Grosfeld has linked up with some of the former developers (Gary G. Jacobs, V.P and others).
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2018 at 09:35 PM

New environmental concerns at Las Palmas (at La Ribera):
https://colectivopericu.net/2018/03/21/ambientalistas-observ...
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 06:23 AM

Took a little trip out to the site in February to check fantasy ads vs reality. A lot of workers, substantial terra-reforming, acres and acres of fencing blocking access for a few kms, a few two-story cinderblock houses out on the point and a few single story structures near the main road. Sad to see the muddy waters on the public access beach. Heard a rumour about regular dredging to keep the marina inlet clear.

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 06:30 AM

Lots of condos for sale in Los Barriles and a low demand for them, but luxury homes sales and new construction is brisk. I think Costa Palmas might be a bit isolated, but hopefully the community will find some benefit.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 08:38 AM

Construction is coming along at Costa Palmas. The concrete shell of the two-story condo buildings is up along with a beach bar and some other bungalows and support buildings--a few finished out to show off to prospective condo owners. The word on the street is $2 million per condo.

There are definitely dredgers in the marina, which is still a complete mess and will require a lot more repair work.... until the next hurricane, when it will fill up with silt again because the built the whole thing in a giant arroyo, but whatever. Hopefully they have good insurance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 08:54 AM

Does anyone have an update on Osprey? Great person and so sad he lost his wife this past year.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 10:59 AM

I don't know Osprey, but we did run into Mike Odell's daughter, Rio, at Costa Palmas. She's managing the marina there and it sounds like they are doing well. She did mention that they are offering boat and/or vehicle storage at the former La Trinidad property, if any nomads are looking.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 11:08 AM

Known to locals as 'Jorge', Osprey lives in La Ribera, overlooking that project. He has been a local writer for many years and a darn nice guy, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 11:19 AM

It just looked like a big mess when I drove by a couple weeks ago. It makes me wonder if anyone will ever buy anything there. There's a big difference between building a couple model homes and actually selling them.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 03:14 PM

Much of the terraforming was done back when it was Cabo Riveria. Not much has changed in the past few years other than the construction of the block structures, a model condo or three, a few beachfront "casitas" and the beach bar. It is a huge property with a LONG way to go until it becomes something desirable. You couldn't pay me enough to live there in the upcoming few years, as it's going to be non-stop construction noise.

For what it's worth, it is still possible for the public and locals to launch boats at the marina...but I don't know for how long. I'm guessing the Palmas residents aren't going to be real keen to have just anybody using the marina after forking over $2m, if you know what I mean.

Oh, and if you want a real good laugh, read the Google reviews for the Palmas, where one reviewer talks about how the Palmas "feels like the old Baja." :?:

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by chavycha]
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2018 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  

Oh, and if you want a real good laugh, read the Google reviews for the Palmas, where one reviewer talks about how the Palmas "feels like the old Baja." :?:

[Edited on 3-23-2018 by chavycha]

Ha! Like 20 years ago when you stayed at a hotel in Cabo, when a hotel on either side of that one was being built, and there was construction noise starting at 7AM. That "Old Baja"!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2018 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Does anyone have an update on Osprey? Great person and so sad he lost his wife this past year.

Jorge is still living in La Ribera and managing the best he can. He's had health issues of his own but has enlisted the help of some neighbors since Lynda passed. He's still writing as well as ever, and recently penned a quick essay about Amanvari, yet another posh resort planned for the East Cape.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.