Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: shingles shot
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 11:23 AM
shingles shot

so who knew? just found out it is recommended by the usa medical establishment that all of us over 60 have a shingles shot. so, out of pocket here in the usa it would cost me $233 at cvs. anyone know (1) if it's available at a farmacia in la paz, and (2) ballpark cost figure?
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 11:34 AM

We checked in Los Barriles today regarding getting a shot. We were quoted 3,430. Peso.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 11:42 AM

Believe me, you want to get the shot unless for some medical reason you can't. My wife never had chicken pox but came down with the shingles a year ago Sept. today she still has burning pains that are out of this world painful. Nothing so far has helped that much. Lidocaine cream and patch help a little. She has been treated by a nerve doctor with a patch of but it did not get rid of all of it. The doctors think she got the shingles because she has been on steroids to treat her COPD and it lowered her immune system.

The commercials you see on TV are for real. My wife was even worse.
bajasusana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bill Collector  
We checked in Los Barriles today regarding getting a shot. We were quoted 3,430. Peso.

thanks for the info...not saving enough at that price to postpone until i get home to the baja
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajasusana  
so who knew? just found out it is recommended by the usa medical establishment that all of us over 60 have a shingles shot. so, out of pocket here in the usa it would cost me $233 at cvs. anyone know (1) if it's available at a farmacia in la paz, and (2) ballpark cost figure?

I got mine through VA and it had to be by advance appointment since the vaccine must be refrigerated. It is crucial that the vaccine be properly handled so make sure that is the case.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 12:43 PM

I didn`t get the shot and last November got shingles on my upper back. After being in terrible pain for 8 days, I went to an acupunturists and he said he could fix it no problem. And he did. I could barely feel anything but was immediately better. Thought a miricle had occured!!!!! Smiled for days!!!

TMW--- call your local acupunturists and ask if they can treat it. My guy told me about a lady who suffered for 10 years. Her son (a doctor) told my guy there was no cure because they had tried everything. My acupunturist finally talked the son into letting him treat his mom. After one treatment, she amiled and said she felt better. After two treatments, she was fine.

I have no idea how acupunture works, but know it saved me from much suffering.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 02:02 PM

I had Shingles in my late '40's----------YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES!!!! (and I had a mild case). Was essentially out-of-commission with incredible non-stop pain in my torso for about 6 weeks.

Most Health Insurance in the USA will cover the costs of shots 100%, and I got them about 3 years ago------because I NEVER want shingles again!!! EVERYBODY in my Family has had the shots, mostly due to my experience plus common-sense. My experience scared everybody to death (almost).

So far so good----no more attacks.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 02:17 PM

Shingles sucks - you don't want it - I got the Vaccine last week free with my ACA Obamacare

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 02:52 PM

I also had shingles in my late 40s. It came on very suddenly on my left hip. I thought it might be a kidney stone. By the time I got to the doctor several hours later the rash had appeared. It took about 6 weeks to run its course. I was able to go to work every day. The most difficult part was sleeping at night, especially the 5th and 6th week. I was lucky in that the pain wasn't severe.

I got shingles a second time. It was so mild that I didn't realize I had it until almost the very end. I've chosen not to get the shot, but I strongly recommend it for anyone who hasn't had shingles. The older you are when you first get it, the worse it will be. The shot is about 75% effective in preventing shingles. But if you do get shingles after the shot, it will be much milder.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 02:54 PM

This is the email I received from the doctor..

buen día el costo de la vacuna herpes soster es de $3430 cada una
gracias
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Bill Collector  
Say, what was the Spanish term they used for "shingles"?

Solteros.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 04:20 PM

I agree with everyone else,shingles are horrible and no matter what the shot costs, get it. If you get shingles and haven't gotten the shot you would pay a million dollars for it.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 05:19 PM

If one in three persons get shingles during their lifetime, how come i have only known 3 people that ever had the affliction .
I had a flourishing bar/disco with hundreds of customers and not one ever came down with it. I also have a very large family with multi dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins, besides dozens of friends and golfing buddies. No one ever had this disease.
Maybe a come on by the producers of the vaccine??

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 06:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
If one in three persons get shingles during their lifetime, how come i have only known 3 people that ever had the affliction .

I don't know anybody that had it either. Seems a few nomads have had it or know someone who did.

They certainly charge a lot for a variation of the chickenpox (zoster virus) vaccine.

You don't think American pharmaceutical companies would exaggerate facts to sell medicine at an inflated price, do you?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2016 at 06:57 PM

would Terry Bradshaw lie to us???
the extreme cases look nasty...mine was just a mild rash, I'd get the shot if I could!:coolup:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 12:06 AM

I put a steel roof over mine, has a 100 year guarantee on it.

Seriously, I only know one person who had a 'mild' case of shingles at 80 years old.

I got the shot this year; i'm 65. Thank you, VA. I'm not risking it. :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 03:58 AM

My doctor gave me the shot at my request (I had chickenpox as a kid) but wasn't too enthusiastic about it. He said the vaccine wasn't very effective, that many people get it after they've been vaccinated.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 06:46 AM

From the CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know....

Your risk of shingles and post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) increases as you get older. CDC recommends that people 60 years old and older get shingles vaccine to prevent shingles and PHN.

Shingles vaccine has been used since 2006. Zostavax® is the only shingles vaccine currently approved for use in the United States. This vaccine reduces the risk of developing shingles by 51% and PHN by 67%. It is given in one dose as a shot, and can be given in a doctor’s office or pharmacy.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
I had a flourishing bar/disco with hundreds of customers and not one ever came down with it. I also have a very large family with multi dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins, besides dozens of friends and golfing buddies. No one ever had this disease.

Yes, it must be true becausethe CDC say's "Almost 1 out of every 3 people in the United States will develop shingles, also known as zoster or herpes zoster, in their lifetime. There are an estimated 1 million cases of shingles each year in this country." The current US population is 324,118,787 so one-thrird of that would be 10,903,959 cases and that's 11 x greater than the 1 million current cases. How the extrapolate that is anyone's guess but it keepe their budget growing.

Bob Durrell
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:57 AM
Shingles

Yup, the shingles shot is a big government conspiracy, just like chemtrails, and HARP.....

I have had 'em, not fun, lasted for about 4 weeks.

Don't get the shot then tell us how you feel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.