Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: When to retire?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 02:52 PM

This is all great. I am very glad I made this post.
I can see that I need to develope a functional mindset about this based on the most accurate prediction of reality (mine) after I jump off of the graveytrain.
Really, not going to work is not something I have ever allowed myself to think about.
It hard undo 30 plus years of " Gung-Ho! ":bounce:

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
San Diego is America's Finest City but it's also an expensive place to live.

I missed this point. Indeed, he wasn't planning to retire in Baja - but "somewhere" in SD, making fishing trips to Baja from there. So the question was about SD.
Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

spend it ALL!!!

Impossible :). Both "full pension" - whatever it is - and SS pension will keep coming.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 03:20 PM

Yesterday.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 03:44 PM

You would get a lot more bang for your buck by reversing your plan. Home base in San Quintin, visits to San Diego. I live here - it's a very expensive place to rent or buy. I wouldn't be able to afford it on my retirement income if I was entering the housing market now.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 04:00 PM

I have not lived in a motor home full time, but I have spent enough time in them to think that could work for me. I am not planning on spending the rest of my days driving around, but my base of operation would be moveable.

I have land with a good well, and power to it in northern CA, so that is where home would be for much of the year. I look forward to reducing my 'stuff' down to what will fit in a motor home.

Simple is good!

Edit; Ok, I will probably need a small storage unit somewhere. but honestly, no connex container!

[Edited on 9-20-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 04:22 PM

Good question, all of us here have a bit in common. I want to
wake up SOB, and know I don't have to pack up the tent and
head home. So Cal is not all that, very expensive, crowded.
I have a few yrs on you, took ss at 62. My lifestyle doesn't
require a whole lot, so it is doable for me, maybe not
enough for some here in coastal So Cal. Wife has a 401 which
I understand should be tapped before taking ss.
SS does
state if one lives to the average life expectancy, one will
collect about the same, regardless when starting ss. Somewhere
around 78 +
or so, is when one pulls ahead in ss $ if one had
waited until a later age. I read that if one is 65, one has 12 yrs
or so left on average. I don't want to come up short on time
spent in Mex

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 04:48 PM

It's never too early to retire. You're gonna die with a bunch of money anyway.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Petey
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 04:48 PM

You know, you don't have start taking SS at 62 just b/c you stop working and take your pension before that. If you can afford to put it off til later, you could get bigger monthly payments. Only you know what you can afford and what you project your needs, health & otherwise, will be a few years down the road.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 05:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mula  
Retire as soon as you can.

My husband retired from the union work at 55.
Thank gosh he did.
He passed away this summer. Just short of 61.
You never know. . . .

TRUTH

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 05:46 PM

If you cant retire on a full pention AND ssnsomething is wrong.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 06:02 PM
retire

I was vested in my Union Retirement at 57 but not yet eligible for S.S and had a daughter in still in School. I chose to take my union retirement and look for something else to do. the union retirement gave me a whole lot of flexibility in choosing what I wanted to do. and still live comfortably. I took my S.S. at 62 and continued to work part time. After living in Baja for 15 years I am thinking about moving on to something else at 77 years young.
I may have to leave my body here in Baja its too worn out to move:lol::lol:
[Edited on 9-21-2016 by J.P.]

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by J.P.]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by taoswheat  

but be aware that your monthly social security increases 8% each year beyond 62.

Maybe. Depends on rate of inflation. I recall recently about three years the rate didn't increase for this reason. Goes for disability as well.

I don't think he ment inflation I think he was talking about what you lose in SS when you retire under 66 yrs old. For most you get your full benefit at 66 and if you retire early you lose 6% per year for each year. It also raises until 70 which is the max you can get based on income.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 06:56 PM

I retired at 54 moved to baja full time. Too have fun while I still can. The big plus is $20 a year prop tax/water(if they have it) $10 month/power $ 50-65 two months.Buying power with dollars good too.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:15 PM

Retirement can be a double edge sword if you don't plan it out. For me the biggest change was in medical expenses. While working my med. insurance was $119 per month for both my wife and I. After retiring it cost both of us Combined about $800 per month for medical sup insurance and drugs with SS taking out $104 per month each for Medicare (included in the $800).

I retired at 65 with two pensions, SS and a 401K. We did not have any lifestyle changes in the way we lived. We just bought a new house to get out of a two story into a single story. Climbing the steps was getting harder and harder, especially for my wife.

My advice is that if you like the work you are doing and it allows you to do what you want to do then keep at it otherwise retire and have fun.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:30 PM

So my only connection left to So Cal is that I my have a few more years of motocross racing and riding in me so I am trying to get as close to Lake Elsenore, Perris, Glen Helen etc. and as close to the border as possible too.
But maybe just a cheap apt. if I can find one. If baja had decent motocross that would be great. It doesn't. It's all Baja 1000 type stuff.
Some great trail riding but no moto.
My goal is to stay in San Quintin starting in July. After fishing there and studying it the bite doesn't turn on until then and goes through Oct. The recent 'cane should push up the fish. Look for wahoo in about a week or 2.
I want to follow the fish so may go south after that. Maybe a camper or something.
San Quintin will be my base camp and home but I won't stay there fulltime there until maybe I'm too old to travel much.
But yeah I am retiring to San Quintin but still want to hang in So Cal motoland for a while.
I see some of my union brothers have already had success with the pension/ss/401k route so that is encouraging.
So I will throw out a number.
Is $3000/month enough spending money for a fairly simple retirement?

[Edited on 9-21-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:31 PM
Retirement

I was able to retire obscenely young with a decent pension. As TW mentioned, medical insurance before age 65 (Medicare) is costly, at least north of the border but we budgeted for that in our retirement planning.

We never lived above our means in Southern California prior to retirement and honestly can't afford to be extravagant now. We enjoy a modest life style, but the real benefit was that we've had an exceptionally long time to enjoy what we enjoy - whether it includes trips to Baja or not.

We count ourselves as blessed, as well as most fortunate to retire early, have absolutely no regrets, and look forward to many more years - heck, we have to at least outlive our newly acquired SENTRI pass.

Plan for what you can, hope for the best, stay as active as possible, enjoy life where ever it takes you.

John M
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 07:31 PM

Yeah, the average amount that SS increases from 62 to your full retirement age (this is not really cost of living related; the amount you might get at 62-63-64-65 is also adjusted at whatever rate they decide to increase it) is 8%. That's a pretty risk free way of getting 8% these days. If you can afford to wait on it, do it.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 08:52 PM

Very cool. I had zeroed in on Hemet. Cheap rent, close to moto, cool airport, and a straight shot the the border.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 08:55 PM

Yeah the medical and dental is still an unknown for. I got some homework to do.

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2016 at 10:26 PM

Retire sooner than later. Fun has no price. Working your ass off has a price. Cheers, Mike.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.