Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sentri Pass
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 09:51 AM

For all those applying for SENTRI, you would be much better off applying for Global Entry and here is why:

Global Entry works the EXACTY SAME as sentri with three added benefits:

- It only costs $100 instead of $150
- It allows you to use the expedited immigration and customs line when you travel by air
- It gets you TSA precheck for any domestic flight which gets you through security faster.

Anyone wanting to apply for sentri would be stupid to not apply for Global Entry instead because it gives you more for less.

When I say it works EXACTLY as sentri I mean exactly, you get to add a vehicle (which does not need to be inspected) and you flash your global entry card when you enter through the border. When you fly internationally, you only need your passport to use the expedited line.

I want to say it one more time, if you are applying for a trusted traveler program, APPLY FOR GLOBAL ENTRY!!!!!
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  

I want to say it one more time, if you are applying for a trusted traveler program, APPLY FOR GLOBAL ENTRY!!!!!

Exactly Westy...

Plus as stated multiple time in this thread; the processing time seems to be MUCH faster than applying for Sentri alone.

Hopefully they switch the entire system to GE only but we are talking government agencies here so who knows :?:

itchin 2 go

[*] posted on 10-18-2016 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
For all those applying for SENTRI, you would be much better off applying for Global Entry and here is why:

Anyone wanting to apply for sentri would be stupid to not apply for Global Entry instead because it gives you more for less.

FWIW,
I agree in theory, GE better than SENTRI. From what I have read GE app process seems to be much faster and is $22 cheaper. However for a family of 4-5, the cost benefit may tip the scales to SENTRI

- SENTRI cost is $122 not $150 (per person)
- SENTRI offers "Famliy Discount": 2 adults full price, kids only pay fingerprinting ($15 each)
- You can "add" GE to SENTRI at any time FOR FREE!
- For GE ALL members are required to have Passport BOOK, card does not work (since Book is needed for Air Travel). This adds more cost for a family again vs SENTRI as passport is not required for minors under 16 for LAND crossings (SENTRI).
- If you are not sure if you will be accepted, SENTRI app fee is only $25 per person ($50 max per family) vs GE which requires all $100 up front.
- Certain Credit Cards may refund $100 app fee for GE (NOT for SENTRI)

We completed (5) SENTRI apps 7/12/16. Last conditional approval received 9/28/16, so 2½ months or 11 weeks.
First available appt for 5 at same time was 11/10 @ OTAY. This works for us since wife has to request 30 days in advance for time off.
We want to add GE at our appt, but don't have the budget for 5 passport books now. We will try to get those soon a few at a time then add later.

TL;DNR

Single or couple: GE probably best for app time & $
Family on a budget: SENTRI probably best, longer but cheaper and add GE free any time (once you all have passport books).

Obviously Everyone's mileage may vary, "better" and "cheaper" (or "stupid" for that matter) can depend on your situation.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by itchin 2 go]

[Edited on 10-19-2016 by itchin 2 go]
stiladam
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2016 at 04:13 PM

Wow, that's an in depth comparison there!

I can say that Global Entry does include one vehicle with each application, so both myself and my gal added each of our vehicles with our applications. There is a charge if you add more vehicles later.

[Edited on 10-18-2016 by stiladam]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-19-2016 at 11:52 AM

You may have a few skeletons in your closet, Joediego.

In my case, CBP took 4 months to verify my background. In my sister's case, it was 5 months. In my wife's case, it was two weeks.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

stiladam
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2016 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

In my case, CBP took 4 months to verify my background. In my sister's case, it was 5 months. In my wife's case, it was two weeks.

In my case...I guess they're not skeletons if you don't get caught :lol::yes::lol:

[Edited on 10-19-2016 by stiladam]
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2016 at 09:56 PM

Your wife is a saint. Obviously. :saint::dudette::biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 12:03 PM

Yes she is...

She save my life twice...literally!

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Your wife is a saint. Obviously. :saint::dudette::biggrin:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2016 at 10:17 PM

Itching thanks for your break down, good to see how things are changing. When I applied two years ago you could not add GE, you had to denote from the beginning, it wasn't even possible to change from SENTRI to GE at the appointment, had to be when you started the application.

Maybe they will drop the SENTRI all together, who knows
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.