Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: health insurance in Mexico
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 12:57 PM
health insurance in Mexico

Has anyone any information about Mexican health care becoming free in 2017 to all folks over 60, inmigrados included.' I was told this by my notario who is doing my will. Since his English is spotty and my Spanish poor, there is a chance we didn't quite understand each other.
Therefor the question to my all knowing Nomad brothers.:rolleyes::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 02:06 PM

Hey, Ed...wassup?

I thought Seguro Popular was always free for legal residents.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 03:22 PM

I've had Seguro Popular for 5 years. Free. And am a Temporary Resident.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 03:28 PM

Seguro Popular or IMSS:lol::lol:. They should be free. Bottom of the barrel health care. I guess it beats dying on the street?
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 04:30 PM

I use Seguro Popular for small things and pills.

If surgery is needed - I prefer to select and pay for the Doctor.

2 Angioplasties and a stent last fall cost me $10,000 USD . . . .and I'm ready to go - done in La Paz at the new hospital there.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 04:46 PM

Mula,
I see you know the drill. I`m glad you didn`t wait for SP or worse IMSS. I had RF ablation done a few mos. ago in Guad. If I would have waited for IMSS wich we get as a family (due to my wifes teaching job) I`d still be waiting.
FYI Be wary of their prescription drugs. They are usually of lesser quality.

Saludos

[Edited on 9-22-2016 by chippy]
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 04:54 PM

For serious things, I will not wait for the system, but for minor, Seguro Popular is fine - and for initial diagnosis.

I don't like strong drugs - fear factor, so am quite happy with the Medical in Mexico!

I have 20 years in Mexico: 1972 - 1982 Mazatlan and 2006 - 2016 Baja.

[Edited on 9-22-2016 by Mula]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 05:31 PM

I am familiar with sp and imss,but the way this guy was talking it covered expensive procedures like cancer treatment, open heart surgery, bypass surgery.etc. Supposed to go into effect after the first of the year.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 05:58 PM

There is a gal in Loreto, I think had a double mastectomy and re constructive surgery via SP.

And a gal in
Todo Santos or La Paz who had 2 knee replacements, etc. via SP.

It covers major stuff. Just have to wait your turn and go with the Dr.s as they come available.

These were both several years ago.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 06:33 PM

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2016 at 08:54 PM

I heard that Mexico wants to join SP and IMSSS and that they want everyone to be covered, without exception. So, I asked at our local clinic and the nurse said they had heard the same but no official notice had come through. This was way back in Jan.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2016 at 03:22 PM

Seguros Popular was supposed to be an annual fee based on your income. In Santa Rosalia, we always paid, unless people could prove low income. In Ensenada and some other area, there was a different interpretation on fees and most were issued with no charge. It is a basic coverage and you can go on to the web site to see exactly what is covered. It has some very large gaps, as would be expected with a program that suddenly covered everyone that applied when there was no change in the number of doctors or hospitals. In areas like La Paz, Cabo, Tijuana, Ensenada, and Rosarito, the clinics seem to do a pretty good job, in the rural area, not so much. The biggest mistake most people make is to assume that it is the same as US Coverage only cheaper. Because I was a Health Insurance Agent before retirement, I spent a lot of time looking over the exact coverage and contract. I ended up signing up with Medicare Supplement with Kaiser and have a good evacuation policy but mostly that is because I live in the Santa Rosalia area and our hospital has some real deficiencies.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2016 at 04:35 PM

There's also private insurance in Mexico, AXA is one, that will pay at the best hospitals, best doctors in private practice, covers annual exams, and gives steep discounts on already cheap medicines. I think it's around 100 to 150 dollars per month depending upon age, health etc.

Has anybody looked into that?

My info is second-hand from a friend, so not sure.

[Edited on 9-23-2016 by SFandH]
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 09:04 AM
Health insurance

We have had AXA now for 10 years. My premium is $1,500 US dollars a year. We do have a high deductible. With a lower deductible your yearly payment is higher. I had a total knee replacement in June in San Jose at Hospital H..AXA paid for everything I only paid the deductible. They covered Hospital, surgeons...they are very easy to work with..I found it takes about 30 days to get approval for surgery. If it's an emergency, it only takes a phone call.

Ours is only for major medical.

[Edited on 9-24-2016 by Bill Collector]
Rocinante

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 09:28 AM

This is a timely topic for me! I just registered but have been lurking on this great forum for awhile.
Heading to Baja for 6 months in November for the first time in 21 years! Boy those were great days in Aqua Verde and Ojo de liebre!

Anyway - I assume you have to be a resident to obtain AXA insurance?

Thanks,
R.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:20 AM

Maybe, maybe not. Ask.

https://axa.mx/home

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by SFandH]
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:54 PM

When we first signed up for AXA insurance we did own a home down here. Back then we had FM3 status, they don't have that any more. Very easy to work with..didn't know they cover prescriptions or annual exams. Our policy is for major medical only.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
9-26-2016 at 09:53 PM
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
Has anyone any information about Mexican health care becoming free in 2017 to all folks over 60, inmigrados included.' I was told this by my notario who is doing my will.

With how they write their regulations, it would take a psychic rather than a notary, to make sense out of it. Not to mention proposed changes that are not finalized yet.

I would "guess" that they are going to waive annual fees for either Seguro or IMSS (or both). These fees do exist, few hundred greenbacks a year, but low-income recipients are excluded. Gringo retirees shouldn't be, as I remember from reading the "old" Seguro regs - because their income isn't low by Mexican standards - but somehow they are.

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by Alm]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bill Collector  
We have had AXA now for 10 years.

I wonder if they told you for how much longer you'll have it.

AXA terms and conditions says - enrollment up to 64 years, renewals up to 69.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 03:12 PM

I will be retired soon and living full time in Baja without my US Based Kaiser health insurance. I plan to pay cash. I need prescription drugs for blood pressure, gout, enlarged prostate. How does that work here, can I just go to Roma Pharmacy and buy what I need? Are there brands or generics? Do I need a MX Dr prescription?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.