Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Temp Import Permit for car when you want to stay >180days
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I got my information from the Hobie Cat racers (i get their newsletters). They are losing many racers because Sonora is no longer a free zone and they are having to pay a TIP for any car AND watercraft being brought in. Including recreational kayaks.

Other than that I have no official information from the Mexican government (whom you know that they make up things as they go depending on who you speak with).

Quote: Originally posted by moisheh  
UDO: I think you are giving out some dubious information. Where did you read that there will be no more no hassle zone in Sonora? Or did you just mean that they will be enforcing the TIP program in Sonora OUTSIDE the no hassle zone? Just A few months ago there was talk of the no hassle zone extending to Alamos

A. Sonora has always wanted a TIP for boats. Nothing has changed in the last several years. I've had one for more than 10 years.

B. INM is immigration, it has nothing to do with vehicles. Aduana is the Mexican customs, they deal with importation rules.

C. I suspect if you have a TIP for your boat (including trailer) you don't need one for your truck, but I'm not 100%.

D. I doubt you need one for kayaks, but again not 100%. If you are bringing them in on a trailer, maybe.

I'll ask the next time I go down. I generally get a six month permit for my truck and 3 dirt bikes (one permit for all).

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by JZ]
moisheh

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 04:04 PM

Wow !! Like I said one poster is spouting information that is false!! To take some info from a newsletter and suddenly the whole no hassle zone is changing?? Obviously someone that does not know the difference between Aduana and INM is not a valid source of anything related to TIP's
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Udo has kayaks on the roof of his FJ and that makes it need a TIP, apparently.

Kayaks and canoes don't require TIP. Only "boats", and only those longer than 14ft.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by moisheh  
Like I said one poster is spouting information that is false!!

As is most of the info spouted here when it's not related to habitual BN area :)

All other info you will find to be mostly correct, save for aberrations due to not reading or not thinking or too much afternoon tequila :)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Udo has kayaks on the roof of his FJ and that makes it need a TIP, apparently.

Kayaks and canoes don't require TIP. Only "boats", and only those longer than 14ft.

I said "apparently" since NON-BOAT hauling Nomads say they have no TIP to go to Guaymas.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 05:00 PM

I wasn't asked a single question when crossing with kayak on the roof, even though they pulled me off for secondary inspection. They only looked into c-ckpit to make sure I'm not hiding anything.

Never heard about them asking TIP with kayaks and canoes.

Btw, Sta Rosalia ferry prices are HORRIBLE. Check the website for total cost of travel trailer, truck and driver (everything counted separately). There is no mountain on Hwy one that a truck with travel trailer couldn't climb, just go slow uphill. Climbed that famous hill north of Sta Rosalia, going Northbound, with 26ft trailer and half-ton truck.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I wasn't asked a single question when crossing with kayak on the roof, even though they pulled me off for secondary inspection. They only looked into c-ckpit to make sure I'm not hiding anything.

Never heard about them asking TIP with kayaks and canoes.

Btw, Sta Rosalia ferry prices are HORRIBLE. Check the website for total cost of travel trailer, truck and driver (everything counted separately). There is no mountain on Hwy one that a truck with travel trailer couldn't climb, just go slow uphill. Climbed that famous hill north of Sta Rosalia, going Northbound, with 26ft trailer and half-ton truck.

You are confusing the situation. No import permit in Baja for sure for jetskis, kayaks. Same for dirt bikes/atvs.

Different rules in Sonora. Definitely need them for bikes/atvs. I doubt strongly for Kayaks, but Udo is arguing you do.

You are also mixing up import permit for a boat (TIP) and one needed for a car when pulling or carrying other stuff.

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by JZ]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

You are confusing the situation.

Not me.

There is no TIP for cars or travel trailers - neither in Baja nor in Sonora up to (at least) Guaymas. About bikes and ATV the OP didn't ask. But again, with the costs of ferry crossing with TT and pickup, I would rather go around.

There are no TIP for kayaks in Baja, and this is first time I hear about it needing TIP in North Sonora zone. Udo must've peeed Aduaneros off in some way ;)

PS: does this robotic editor really have to change words like c.ockpit and p.issed?

[Edited on 9-27-2016 by Alm]
RVGRINGO

[*] posted on 9-29-2016 at 09:53 AM

Aduana = Customs
INM = Immigration
Banjercito = where you pay fees/deposits
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jonah  
I am driving a van and travel-trailer down to La Paz and plan to leave them there indefinitely. I am just beginning my temporary residency, I did the US consulate part, I just need to do the Mexican immigration part. But at this point no TR visa in-hand. I would like to drive down from Tucson to Topolobampo and take the ferry (for several reasons: half the miles, no mountains to go over with my rig). However I just learned that to go to the state of Sinaloa I have to get a TIP (I believe for both the van and the trailer). I would be fine to do this but I read I have to give a deposit and will get that back when I leave in <180days. I don't plan to leave in 180days because I will have my temp res visa.

I don't think I need a TIP to drive in the Baja Peninsula. It is looking like it is just not going to work to drive the mainland and take the ferry... but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any advice would be appreciated. I've done both drives so I don't need to hear anything about the road conditions. Thanks.

[Edited on 9-23-2016 by Jonah]
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 09:11 PM

This is for the original poster.
You are uninformed re your vehicle permit and your temporary residency.

180 day permits are for those entering as tourists.

Under no circumstance should you enter as a tourist, as this will result in your pre-approval for temp residency being declared invalid by INM and you will have to start the process over from scratch at a consulate up north.
You are not entering as a tourist nor as a resident- you are in process with INM, and you need to make sure that immigration where you cross gets this and marks your FMM accordingly. I think you are entering under what they call a "canje"

I canīt speak to how the vehicles in your situation are handled when entering in Baja, as I live on the mainland. And how it works here is that when you actually get your temporary residency, you have 15 days to notify Aduana in Mexico City by mail of your new residency status. Failure to do so means you will never get your deposit back and your vehicle will actually be considered to be in Mexico illegally once the time limit on the TIP you were given when you entered expires.

Your vehicle can then remain in Mexico for the length of your temporary residency. If you got it for a year, it will run out in a year. Every time you renew your residency, you have to renotify Aduana in order to keep your vehicle legal here. So if next year you renew your temp. res. for 3 years and notify Aduana of this, your vehicle will be good for another 3 years, etc.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.