Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Some Interesting Facts About the Baja Peninsula
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 11:26 AM
Some Interesting Facts About the Baja Peninsula

Came across this website that has "10 Curious Facts..." Unfortunately, it's in Spanish so there's that. Among the facts mentioned are these:

The second-longest straightaway (road with no curves) in the world is the stretch of highway that runs from north of La Paz through Ciudad Constitucion and up to La Purisima--the longest being in Saudi Arabia.

Mexico has around 200 naturally-occurring oases, 184 of which are in the peninsula, and 171 of those 184 are in Baja California Sur.

Both states share the title of having the least number of municipios at five each. Ensenada is the largest municipio in Mexico and Mulege is the second-largest. In contrast, Oaxaca--the state with the most municipios--has over 500.

I was sorry to find out that BCS in no longer the least-densely populated state in Mexico, having been supplanted by Colima.

For more such interesting tidbits, here's the webside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDKHDTRA858#t=391.979913

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 01:28 PM

I love that straightaway... at about 100mph or so. And then it's still long. And I've been passed there doing a 100.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 02:31 PM

Funny the claim of 2nd longest staight highway in the world doesn`t make any list I`ve seen.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 02:35 PM

how about the most discussed 23 miles of dirt road in the world?:lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I love that straightaway... at about 100mph or so. And then it's still long. And I've been passed there doing a 100.

I was going south of Constitucion on it at 70mph and a highway patrol car passed me and keep going. 4 suits in it. I didn't see it until too late, thought I had a ticket for sure.
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 04:01 PM

. . .Willard nailed it!. . .
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 04:14 PM
Here is an intersting fact about Baja

The further south you go the better and colder the beer tastes. :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Joselito
Banned

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 04:25 PM

:rolleyes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 06:15 PM

But, but, you miss so much at that speed. to me the charm of Baja CA can only be really seen at very slow speeds, like on the old dirt tracks, but then that's just me. :yes:
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

But, but, you miss so much at that speed. to me the charm of Baja CA can only be really seen at very slow speeds, like on the old dirt tracks, but then that's just me. :yes:

Totally agree that the old road was a much more interesting speed to see the peninsula. That said, that stretch of highway north of La Paz really, really sucks and 100 MPH still ain't fast enough, in my opinion.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 08:01 PM

What's the rush?

I've been passed a million times doing 45mph in my land boat through that straightaway. It's true :-)

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajatripper  
Came across this website that has "10 Curious Facts..." Unfortunately, it's in Spanish so there's that. Among the facts mentioned are these:

The second-longest straightaway (road with no curves) in the world is the stretch of highway that runs from north of La Paz through Ciudad Constitucion and up to La Purisima--the longest being in Saudi Arabia.

Hey David, could you please post a map of that stretch of highway in Saudi Arabia?
:biggrin:

[Edited on 10-12-2016 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 09:00 PM

was stopped by the federales there just outside town headed toward la paz....just shook his finger at me..nice guy.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
The further south you go the better and colder the beer tastes. :biggrin:

I hope to test that theory some day soon.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:39 PM

http://jalopnik.com/5963917/the-longest-straight-roads-in-th...

The desert is pretty boring. So why not drive straight across? The stretch on Highway 10 in Saudi Arabia from Haradh to the border is 162 miles. Congratulations for building the most boring road in the world Saudi Arabia!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:49 PM

It is a verified and undisputable fact that there are many, many facts about baja. Some say that the number of facts about baja is infinite.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:50 PM

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 05:15 PM

That long road was built in the mid 1950s... Pavement was to quickly follow! The same was true of the road south of Ensenada to San Quintin.

In each case, the money (and asphalt) ended long before the straight graded roadbed. In the 1960s, the pavement northbound from La Paz had barely reached 100 miles and southbound from Ensenada, ended in 72 miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  

And me.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 07:53 PM

Great info! Thanks for sharing:bounce:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.