Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rainbow Hawk needs help
mazatman

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 10:01 PM
Rainbow Hawk needs help

Anyone one who has been to La Paz has probably seen or met Rainbow Hawk. He is an artist/musician who has been living in the city for over 50 years, always dedicated to environmental and social justice issues. Check him out on Google.

Rainbow lives in a VW van just off the Malecón. Survival for Rainbow became more problematic recently when his van was cleaned out by burglars. They took everything including the instruments of his art that provided his only source of income.

A few of us managed to get him some help to recover but then he was a hit second time, again by burglars.

I've been trying to think of a safer place where he could move to.

Any suggestions?

Rodrigo

[Edited on 9-28-2016 by mazatman]
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2016 at 10:16 PM

Sorry to hear this. I keep hearing about more and more crime in the La Paz area. I took it off my bucket list. :(
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Sorry to hear this. I keep hearing about more and more crime in the La Paz area. I took it off my bucket list. :(

I did the same with Mulege:fire:
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:59 AM

Hey, its not much better in Loreto. You need to lock everything up before you leave for a few months and some places look like Ft Knox with all the bars on the windows and doors, but they still manage to break in and take everything. I have been gone 4 months, just returned on 9/23 and discovered two batteries and a tank full of gas is missing from my boat.. At least that is all I have found to date. Its not really safe to leave your place empty any more. Get a "House Sitter"...
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
Quote: Originally posted by basautter  

I did the same with Mulege:fire:

Big BS in the first place. Mulege is maybe the safest place all over Baja.
But: Is there any safe place in all over Mexico ???
Is there a safe place in the U.S. ?
Leaving a place for weeks or month unattended ... is it safe in the U.S. ? (Unless you have good neighbors to watch) Don`t you ever think it is different in Mexico.
On the other hand, I know i.e. that our friends in Mulege left for 3 month and nothing happened to their property and house.
Others, like all snowbirds, are leaving Mulege for 6 month and no break-in. At least very little crime in Mulege. There should be no discussion about the question that there is more crime the bigger the town or city you are living in.
And it depends on in which neighborhood you own your property and other factors. But in general: The samller the town, the less crime you can expect.
Mulege therefore is somehow very safe.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:14 AM

I don't know Rainbow Hawk, or his story, but this thread is about trying to find some support for him.

How about trying to stay on topic? Another thread about safety issues would probably do well on it's own!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaGlenn
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 03:58 PM

For some reason i cannot quote you JC but have you had your house boat car and trailer burned and burg'ed by your caretaker as did 10 other households on Punta Arena?? I&we did:fire::fire::fire: I ouldn't spend a day in the Mulege area!!!
JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
For some reason i cannot quote you JC but have you had your house boat car and trailer burned and burg'ed by your caretaker as did 10 other households on Punta Arena?? I&we did:fire::fire::fire: I ouldn't spend a day in the Mulege area!!!

First: I do have diplomatic immunity that`s why you can`t quote me.
Second: Even as it is off-topic, I have to answer this. In general, Mexicans do not burn a house or car or a boat. and then 10 of them! There must be another reason behind your story like somebody has stolen the land for the dwellings.
Or any thing else imaginable. Mexicans are stealing like other poor people in the U.S. or elsewhere. But destroying things is not their nature. It brings no benefit to them and that`s why they don`t do it.
Sorry, off-topic, but there is a need for an explanation.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 06:08 PM

What a shame that his stuff was stolen twice.

I thought I had never heard of him but found this from 2013:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65302#pid7897...

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mazatman

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 07:17 PM

Thank you for your research. I was not aware of the previous discussion.

My only intention in posting here was to try and find a safe spot in La Paz where Rainbow would be willing to move his van to.

BajaGlenn
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:18 PM

To make a long story short JC The owner wanted to sell told us it get off in July and we had paid to November--the caretaker stole boat motor generators M/C's etc and had weeks to do it as no one was there--then torched the places--and this was not the only time i was ripped off in the 20 some years there guess i do not learn easy!!:fire::fire:
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:57 PM

BUMP...... Can we get this post back on track?

Here is Rainbow Hawk's website: http://rainbowhawksart.weebly.com/

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoTed  
BUMP...... Can we get this post back on track?

Here is Rainbow Hawk's website: http://rainbowhawksart.weebly.com/

fascinating! hard to believe such an amazing man with so many achievements is living in a VW van on the streets of la paz! how can that be?:?:
mazatman

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:26 PM

Poor financial planning?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:17 PM

Perhaps he could live in a Casa de Anciaños or go back to the US and live in over-60 housing.

He's a smart man.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:41 PM

Where's the "like" button?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2016 at 09:24 PM
La Paz RV parks for long-term stay

The Aquamarina RV park is a short walk to the malecon.
Address: Calle Nayarit 10, La Inalámbrica, 23060 la Paz, BCS
Phone: 01 612 122 3761

or

out in Centanario is La Hacienda-Sol
hacienda-sol.com
e-mail: info@hacienda-sol.com
OR give us a call at: 011-52-612-123-5440

Perhaps he could make arrangements for long-term rental in one of these places.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.