BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buy fishing rods in CSL or bring from States?
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 03:08 PM
Buy fishing rods in CSL or bring from States?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to buy fishing rods in the US and then pay one of the airlines for the extra baggage costs for these, or if I should just consider buying rods in the Cabo area and just bring my reels from the US. These rods will stay in Baja.

I've never tried buying fishing gear in Mexico. I'm only entertaining bringing them on a plane, because I have no immediate plans to drive down. Do you have experience making this choice?

[Edited on 9-25-2016 by imlost]
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 03:28 PM

Buy in the US. Customs limit is 4 rods, I was stopped when flying with 6 and charged for the 2 extras.

Southwest Airlines does not charge extra for a rod case, counts as one piece of luggage.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 06:43 PM

Hola imlost,

i am sure it would be less expensive to buy them in U.S., put them in a rod case securely tied and insulated. rod case could be just the black pvc with two cap ends, one glued one end and just duct taped on after going through tsa..

however, with reels, if you have good stuff and want to use them in baja, i hope you are aware that reels with line on them are usually not allowed in a carry on. this happened after 9/11 as the faa (?) thought they could be used as a weapon. same with hooks and lures.

i am sure there may be some argument about this but i have read over the years that it allowed on one end of your flight but not the other.

great idea taking them down and just leaving them.

sounds like you have some extra monies. probably better to just charter a boat that has good equipment, less hassle.

may i suggest that you sign onto bloodydecks.com and post your query there.

have a great time.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:03 PM

Better to pay the fees if any and bring from USA....was in Cabo in June and looked at the tackle store and panic 300 dollar usa rod was 400 in Cabo........

Derek
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 08:12 PM

Bring your own reels. They ( charters) will usually have a couple of nice rods. Use your fresh drags and line and thier rods. Plus you'll have a familar reel in your hands and you'll get use to their rod on your first fish.

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 09:01 PM

The pros:
There is a greater selection of rods and better prices in the US.

The cons:
There is a small chance that you will arrive without the rods. I have seen this happen to flights to Hawaii where you couldn't bring them as carry ons. The rods were never found.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
... i hope you are aware that reels with line on them are usually not allowed in a carry on. this happened after 9/11 as the faa (?) thought they could be used as a weapon. same with hooks and lures.

i am sure there may be some argument about this but i have read over the years that it allowed on one end of your flight but not the other.

Rat, regarding bringing reels in carry on baggage, I checked the TSA website, and this is what they had to say:
"Fishing rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage; however, passengers should check with the air carrier to confirm that the fishing rod fits within size limitations for carry-on items. Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage. Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane."
It looks like they may have lifted the restrictions on the reels you mentioned.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-25-2016 at 11:55 PM

We are overthinking this. Most "GOOD" charters have good equipment. If you are fishing from the beach or yak bring it, otherwise use what they have. If you are using a second tier charter service, you should step up. Cabo Magic comes to mind. If you want to go get big fish do so with guys that catch big fish.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 12:00 AM

Please understand I have $$$$$$ tied up in long range gear, from 15# to 130# When I go to Cabo or the east cape flying, their rods and reels are fine. Offer to pay for new line, cheaper than a rod or a reel.

[Edited on 9-26-2016 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 02:00 AM

My experience flying Southwest Airlines (2 free checked bags) from Orange County to SJD and Alaska Airlines from LAX to SJD is;
Rod case is considered as a normal size bag, although it is oversized.
I carry on my reels and all have line.

Customs experience - numerous times I traveled with more than 4 rods in my rod holder and they said nothing. Recently they seem to be enforcing the 4 rod "limit" per person. I had 6 rods, they charged me for the extra 2 rods.

Quality of equipment on most boats I fish at the East Cape is just OK. Your own equipment is always nice to have.
Binger7

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 04:11 AM

Depends if you are shore/beach fishing or off shore. Are you going to leave it there or what.

If shore fishing, just buy one rod and leave it there or sell it. Stop in at Jansens and they will set you up with a good shore rod. A couple of good lures will do you well for Sierra, the only likely fish you will catch from shore.

Otherwise all good off shore charters have decent gear. Older pangas, very questionable. Some is D-.

Check out the gear before you charter. Try Tres Amigos, best captain and super panga in Cabo.

www.dreamakers.com

See Grace. You can also call them direct. The number is on the internet.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 04:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Binger7  

A couple of good lures will do you well for Sierra, the only likely fish you will catch from shore.

??????
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 05:17 AM

Last flight to Loreto we taped two rod tubes together to count as one (Alaska); must of had a dozen rods inside. Not a problem.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 07:13 AM

Customs regulations (printed on form you fill out when flying) limits each person to 4 rods. If 2 people are traveling, then 8 rods are OK, they can all be in one rod holder.

Like I stated above, I made many trips with more than 4 rods in my case, while traveling solo, and was never stopped. Then I was stopped, and many others I have heard about were also stopped.

Airlines don't care how many rods you have in holder.

Reels with line have always been allowed on my flights, even right after 9/11. A couple of times it was brought to the attention of a supervisor, who said it was OK. My flights have been on Alaska and Southwest. My reels are expensive, and they have respected my concern of not wanting to check them.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 10:37 AM

lots of conjecture here.

in my flying days years ago, which i don't do anymore as i drive south and north carrying all my gear, maybe the tsa folks were more stringent but have since relaxed their restrictions. i don't fly anymore.

however, it may be another matter flying NORTH as the mexican customs folks all seem to have their own agenda ? when i took people to the airport, i have seen fishermen peeling line off their reels as they didn't allow it. maybe things are different now

remember the red light green light ? or is that still in useage ?

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2016 at 04:12 PM

Shoot! My buddy used to tape a couple doobies to his reel spool and cover with line. Now we can't do that anymore. Oh well back to the peanut butter jar.
1bobo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2016 at 05:27 PM

The second time TSA broke one of my rods, I gave up and bought one from Steve Jansen. Used to be, if you bought a rod from him, he'd tag it and store it for your next trip.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.