Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: MATOMI 2004: "It just doesn't get any better than this!"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 11:20 PM
MATOMI 2004: "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

Hola Amigos, I want to tell you that after spending a three day weekend with both old and brand new friends, I am so convinced that Baja is a magic place and you who love Baja are just the greatest people!

In a nut shell, EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!

Now, the rest of the story (from my perspective)...

FRIDAY the 13th. Got out of town (Oceanside) by 6 pm and rolled into Nuevo Mazatlan at 11:45pm. Steve (Edie H's hubby) and Mike Humfreville were still up. My tent went up and I crashed. Sarah crashed in my truck.

SATURDAY 2-14:

It's Valentine's Day and we love Baja! In camp are Mexray & Pat, Mike & Mary Ann Humfreville, Edie H & Steve, Surfer Jim, my daughter Sarah and I. Soon a vehicle pulls up and we get to meet 'Baja Rob' from Bahia Santa Maria who shows us his photos of Matomi. Not long after, the Ford/Lance camper of Bob H & Audrey arrives then the Yellow Hummer H2 of GeoRock & Pete (with their daughter Alicia & her friend, Britanny).

We take a ride out to 'Shell Island' and do some scavenging and rescue a stuck truck (too much air in the tires). Steve & Edie have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and extract the vehicle to the delight of the young kids who were otherwise helpless. Mike Humfreville will want to tell you about his Suburban (La Vaca Blanca), which did fine (mostly)!

During one of our stops to see shells (and an octopus) a fellow walked up from a nearby Jeep CJ-5 and asked if I was 'David K'. It was Chris, 'ViaBaja' who has been coming down to Shell Island and the area for ages. His web site has tons of vintage area photos http://www.viabaja.com
Back at Nuevo Mazatlan, we had more visitors! Mary rode up from Playa Mexico on her quad and Tunaeater (Paul) on his motorcycle came to meet us. Many of us remember Paul from his and Desert Rat's story of when D'Rat and Tunaeater toured Mexicali's night life!

Bob H brought a TV and VCR which we set up by our camp chairs, and plugged into Mexray's battery powered camp trailer. We all watched El Camote's video 'Matomi 2001' and 'The Great Lost Mission Hunt Preview' as a teaser to tomorrow's Matomi Canyon trip.

SUNDAY 2-15:

Mexray had customized hats and shirts made for Matomi 2004... we were styling! Everyone agreed that there was no reason to cancel the day trip as we would be cautious of any contestants in the upcoming SCORE race who might be checking the course ("pre-running").

Just before we left camp, TW and his brother Bill arrived in a Toyota truck with a Baja racing motorcycle onboard. TW wanted to ride it out from Matomi to Hwy. 5. TW also brought his radar gun to 'clock' anyone who took his bet challenge in Arroyo Matomi (nobody showed!).

We all had CBs and kept a close watch for dust clouds of any pre-runners for the 2 week away San Felipe 250 race on the small portion of the future race course we would be using.

We went west from Nuevo Mazatlan to the Parral Canyon road, just south of the Sulfur Mine, and crossed over to Valle Chico in it. This pass through the Sierra San Felipe has many interesting geologic feature and we were very privlaged to have Georock explain what we were looking at, during our stops.

In Valle Chico, the race course joined our route using new 'road' that came down the middle of the valley, rather than using the existing road south from Agua Caliente.
At the edge of Matomi Canyon, we stopped to peek down into the gorge, listen for any pre-runners (still none), the descend to the bottom. The race turns left, down stream and we turn right for the 5.2 mile rough road to Rancho El Matomi.

Not far from the turn we come upon 3 vehicles with many uniformed men. The front vehicle (Chevy Trail Blazer) has the hood up. Seems the 4WD is not engaging (bad vacuum line and was later fixed). The men were from Mexico's equivelant of our Fish & Game and EPA. I was soon being questioned if this was a tour business and if so, I would need 'permits'! Now, it looked bad because we had these hats and shirts on that said 'Matomi 2004 Tour' (thanks to Mexray)!!! No, no, I said we are all just friends on an outing and the hats were for this reunion trip. He questioned the others while I was told to stay with his assistant. Of course, everyone else said the same and Tunaeater's dad speaks fluent Spanish... so all was smiles in the end! The men even moved some huge rocks so we could get around the stuck Chevy... all nine of our vehicles (2 Toyota trucks, Ford Truck, Chevy Truck, Ford Bronco, Hummer, Isuzu Trooper, Grand Cherokee and a Suburban)!

Matomi Ranch had eveidence of recent habitation, but was empty. We walked down the path to the waterfall fed pool and took photos. Soon there was a splash! GeoRock (Suzanne) could not resist... the three teenage girls also jumped in!

We had some lunch, took a group photo, Surfer Jim gave beer to the fish and game guys and we headed back. The Matomi narrows, east of the Valle Chico junction were very geologically interesting and colorful. GeoRock loved it!

After the narrows, Arroyo Matomi opens up with parallel tracks.. easy passing. Where were all those 100 MPH pre-runners that we were warned would cause us death and injury? TW and I were both past off road racers and spectators. We knew what pre-running is and it is not racing. The course is an open road to be used by everyone, except on race day. Anyway, it sure was a source for good laughter and joking about the threats made.

The Hummer crew was sure a happy bunch cruising Matomi, with laughter and singing on the CB.

Just a mile or two before reaching Hwy. 5, I saw headlights in my mirror. As I was the last/back door vehicle, it wasn't one of us... FINALLY, a pre-runner.. and just in time as our ride was nearly over and the sun had just set! I radioed the gang and we all pulled aside to allow the pickup to pass. No horn, high beams, or nerfing was necessary as he just cruised pass. The above is only done on race day, anyway.... not when pre-running (at least by mature racers).

Upon reaching Hwy. 5, TW was there with his motorcycle. The Mexicali based pre-runner's support crew gave TW a photo of the actual Class 8 race truck before heading north. They told him most pre-running is done the weekend before the race (next weekend).
We returned to Nuevo Mazatlan for great bond fire, thanks to the wood from TW, Arroyo Matomi, and everybody's wood stash. TW and Surfer Jim head north that night. Tunaeater and his dad left Matomi before the rest of us and returned to their camp, as the Trooper was acting up a bit (probably old gas was mentioned).

The weather was identicle to the last Matomi Gang event in 2001, somewhat overcast on Saturday and blue skys on Sunday.

MONDAY 2-16:

We didn't go to the sulfur mine on Saturday, so GeoRock & the Hummer gang, Humfreville's and Sarah & I went there this morning and explored the old mine. Once again, the race course goes right throught the sulfur mine, but we saw no pre-runners. Pete and Suzanne let me drive the Hummer back to Nuevo Mazatlan! I was very impressed. That big rig can turn so tight, it can go on any trail the shorter rigs can go on. I think Pete want to try Mision Santa Maria!

Mexray & Pat are continuing south to the Mulege area for a couple weeks. We said our good byes to them, Mike & Mary Ann, and Edie & Steve, as well.

The Hummer (with my daughter on board) and I go to San Felipe together and have a great lunch before I finally seperate Sarah from her new friends for our trip home.

We left San Felipe at 3:30pm, use the Mexicali East crossing (18 minute line) and are in the U.S. at 6pm and back home at 9pm.

Please excuse bad spelling or if I forgot a namer or two... I am muy tired zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I just wanted to give all of you my take on a perfect Baja weekend with the greatest people! They all have or will post their obsevations. Also, we will have a LOT of photos to share. Coming in a week or more (for Mexray's return) to this web site. VIVA BAJA EVERYBODY!

Lots of Photos: http://vivabaja.com/204

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.