Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can I buy Fresh Shrimp in the East Cape
superbusydad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 11:04 AM
Where can I buy Fresh Shrimp in the East Cape

I do not know if it is Shrimp or Lobster Season now, but where would be the best place to purchase shrimp or lobster in the East Cape>
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by superbusydad  
I do not know if it is Shrimp or Lobster Season now, but where would be the best place to purchase shrimp or lobster in the East Cape>

I don't want to sound rude but is this a joke?

Oh, sorry, I just re read your post. You want the "best" place. I can only tell you about the La Paz area. Maybe someone knows the best place in San Jose or San Lucas.

[Edited on 10-3-2016 by weebray]

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 02:14 PM

I saw a guy selling shrimp out of his pickup across from the old Pemex in Los Barriles yesterday. You can usually get some from La Pirata restaurant if they are open. They bring shrimp fish and clams over from Mag Bay and sell to the public when they are open. They are next door to Chapitos in LB. Beware if they are frozen, thaw a couple out and see if they are mushy before buying them.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
superbusydad
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 02:52 PM

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 02:59 PM

shrimp fishing is horribly destructive to sea turtles. please don't buy wild shrimp, until the fishing practices change.
eating wild shrimp just makes you a participant in the slaughter and destruction.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

shrimp fishing is horribly destructive to sea turtles. please don't buy wild shrimp, until the fishing practices change.
eating wild shrimp just makes you a participant in the slaughter and destruction.

Does your claim refer to shrimp operations in the southern SOC and Pacific waters in the southern Baja area or just shrimping in general? Do you have something to back up your claim? I'm not saying it isn't so, just want to be educated beyond hearsay.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 06:49 PM

Hey superbusydad, I drove past La Pirata tonight and they were open and I saw a sign indicating that they had fresh shrimp.

I've been thinking about goat's request that we not buy fresh caught shrimp to save the turtles and I must say that I am confused (not the first time). Shrimp boats have long nets that are connected to a big steel shoe that scrapes along the bottom of the ocean stirring up the shrimp and everything else that dwells on the bottom and indiscriminately sweeps them up in the net....at least that's what I understand. Turtles spend the majority of their time at or near the surface, they breathe air, they probably don't spend much time down there where the shrimp boats are scraping up shrimp. Unless I'm way off base (again, not the first time) shrimping operations shouldn't be a significant contributor to turtle destruction.

After years of boating down here I know why they call those steel bumps that they nail down on the highway to slow you down "turtles"....they make the same sound when you hit them with your car as they do with your boat.. :lol::lol::lol:....ok, just kidding...

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2016 at 10:26 PM

hola,

just a simple question sure can generate criticisms.

here's another one.

trawls were banned in southern calif. due to the indiscriminate damage to ocean bottom by dragging their nets for their quarry and destroying habitat.

i'm not sure if the trawls were used for shrimp but they were used for bottom fish and as they scooped them up, they destroyed their habitat by running them over.

unfortunately, there are so many types of " fishing " that does so much damage.

also, hookah " fishing ", gill nets, and long lines also do so much damage to species that they should also be banned but unfortunately, money talks and species walk.

as everyone is aware, the sea of cortez USED to be such a diversified fish nursery and such a wonderful supplier of food.

ASI ES LA VIDA !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Does your claim refer to shrimp operations in the southern SOC and Pacific waters in the southern Baja area or just shrimping in general? Do you have something to back up your claim? I'm not saying it isn't so, just want to be educated beyond hearsay.

Actually, Mexico's shrimp boats who fish for export shrimp do use TEDs, turtle exclusion devices, on their trawls. Mexico shrimpers are making an effort to reduce turtle bycatch in their shrimp fishery.

A synopsis on the Mexican Shrimp Fishery from the FAO: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/011/i0300e/i0300e02b.pdf

"Mexico is among the 13 countries that currently meet the standard set by the United States National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) regarding the use of TEDs; Mexican shrimp exports are therefore not subject to the United States embargo."
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  

also, hookah " fishing ", gill nets, and long lines also do so much damage to species that they should also be banned but unfortunately, money talks and species walk.

I don't think you can group longline fishing with gillnetting. Longlines are individual hooks weighted to the bottom, and catch size appropriate fish.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 01:28 PM

Hola,

longlines are also indiscriminate killer of fish, sharks and turtles. i have seen pictures in the past with these types of sea life hanging from the sometimes miles long lines of baited hooks.

when i lived in baja, i have personally seen a long line with hundreds of of hooks and spoke with the panga guy and he said he would like to catch sharks and giant manta rays that he could sell and eat the meat of. he said turtles were a tasty by catch.

sorry, i can't accept they catch appropriate size fish.

by the way, what is an appropriate size fish and how does hook size catch JUST certain sized fish ?

sorry, but i just cannot agree with your statement.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 05:25 PM

Hola superbusydad,

sorry this thread took a detour.

may i suggest you sign onto and post your query on an east cape site.

" bajaponyexpress3@gmail.com " should give you some info back on some of the vendors that sell in the east cape from their stores or from vendors that come from elsewhere.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
Hola superbusydad,

sorry this thread took a detour.

may i suggest you sign onto and post your query on an east cape site.

" bajaponyexpress3@gmail.com " should give you some info back on some of the vendors that sell in the east cape from their stores or from vendors that come from elsewhere.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Actually, the question was answered. At La Pirata, next to Chapito's grocery store in Los Barriles. Noticed an even bigger sign advertising fresh shrimp there tonight. They also sell a few types of fresh fish. There typically isn't any fresh fish or shrimp available for sale in the local stores, only frozen stuff from various commercial sources.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2016 at 08:12 PM

Another place to check if you are in a more rural area (such as Los Frailes) is at the local restaurants. They probably won't have any for sale unless you are buying dinner but they probably have a local fish seller who makes the rounds with shrimp etc. They may be able to share their contact info with you or let you know what days he comes around. Sometimes you see people on the side of the road but it's not consistent.

john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 07:09 AM

A fellow in a yellow pickup comes through Los Barriles neighborhoods on Tuesdays and sells fish. He always has shrimp and a variety of other fish, sometimes lobster tails.
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 08:03 AM

Thanks DT was also looking for shrimp, get in next week. My first order of busness is some real Baja shrimp, hate those pond raised white things the sell in the stores here in So Cal.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-5-2016 at 08:33 AM
Pond Shrimp

There is a large aquaculture project on the north end of Bahia de La Paz (north of El Centenario). I don't know if their shrimp are for export, or sold locally, but they are in the neighborhood!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.