Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Insurance for older 4x4
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 10:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Quote: Originally posted by N2Baja  

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone found a source for insurance coverage for their older 4x4? One that will offer more than just liability?

I have a 67 Bronco that's had some upgrades done on it, and I would like to have a bit more coverage.

Thanks for any advice!

Melanie

=== =====
MX insurance more than liability is a waste of money. Any MX company settlement will be so down graded that your out of pocket cost will be high. The older the vehicle the worse it is. Generally old rigs sell for low prices and the insurance companies know it. Up grades are usually ignored for insurance purposes, especially in MX.

Considering you have a very collectible rig your biggest risk is theft.
My advice is leave the Bronco in the states and find a substitute. That is what I do, I bought a Jeep for use in Baja. My 72 EB will not be seen in Baja.
Having said the above, I have a big Bronco prerunner that has lived in Baja for 13 years. No problems, however it is kept in a locked garage at my casa and is never used for trips to town or any public place and for sure when those rare occasions, it is always attended. It is strictly for desert use.
The last EB I saw in town was stolen right in front of the Miramar Bar while the owner was not looking. That Bronco was never located. I think the owner and his buddy were distracted to allow the theft to occur. Someone said it was pushed into a box trailer.
If you are coming to Baja for a race or other event I would just recommend getting the usual MX liability and skip any add ons. However you must have the Bronco attended at all times. Do like the racers do - the sleep in the thing or find a hotel with attended security. Do not park in front of a Bar.

As an alternative, Buy MX liabilty insurance and try to find a specialty company that will cover theft regardless of where the thing is stolen. Get on Race-dezert.com and ask which insurance company offer theft insurance for a fancy early bronco in MX and US. Two policies would be good.

Sorry to be so negative, but that is what I believe.

Good Morning Paul. You've said here exactly what has been lurking in the back of my mind. I jokingly told a friend that I was going to just handcuff myself to the steering wheel.

I have posted in RDC and anticipate the same responses there as I've gotten here.

All this is making me reconsider which vehicle I drive down. Luckily I have some time before the trip to decide what I should do. I appreciate you being blunt and straight forward.

I appreciate all the great information that has been provided here. I wish I could have found a company that offered more coverage, but every one I contacted had the same policy.

So my conclusion at this time is that any vehicle over 15 years old will be eligible for medical/liability only

Thanks again everyone!!

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 04:01 PM

my 2 cents , i had a collision in la paz 2 years ago. the adjuster was on the scene 20 minutes after the crash. the repairs were done to a high standard. i would hope things would go that well up north with my US insurer. btw i was insured by ACE .
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 06:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
my 2 cents , i had a collision in la paz 2 years ago. the adjuster was on the scene 20 minutes after the crash. the repairs were done to a high standard. i would hope things would go that well up north with my US insurer. btw i was insured by ACE .

My husband rolled and totaled his truck about 8 years ago and we were very pleased with the service we got from the insurance company. It seems we only hear of the horror stories from people who don't get the service they should have. Its good to be able to relay stories of when it goes right, like you and I have here.

In this post I was hoping to find a company offering full insurance coverage for an older vehicle. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible.

Thank you

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-11-2016 at 12:04 AM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.