BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Annual Eagle Lake trip (Susanville area)
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 03:28 PM
Annual Eagle Lake trip (Susanville area)

The fishing reports this year has been very negative; basically the chui chubs took over, the shrimps are everywhere and getting skunked was the norm, rather than the rule. I always go in late October and after a good report decided to make the drive to check it out.

Launched late on Friday (11:30), here is my typical trolling setup for early Fall. Fishon at noon and then dead for 3 hours.

Eagle Lake trout evolved in saline water and are pink because they eat a lot of the shrimp, very tasty.

Surf 'n Turf with Aime's Cab/Grenache blend, very tasty and makes it Baja related. Giants loosing another game to the Cubbies in the back ground.
Weather was in the low 30s at night and in the low 70s during the day, no wind at all which is very unusual.

Last note is a political observation: I have been making the October trip for 15 years and of course, every 4 years it is before a presidential election. A small cluster of 30 houses I drive through to get to the lake always has a half-dozen or so signs for the republican candidate; never one for the dem. Not unexpected as Lassen County is about as red a county as you find in California; State of Jefferson country, for sure. This year, not a single sign for the rep candidate. Not one. Very curious.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  

Last note is a political observation: I have been making the October trip for 15 years and of course, every 4 years it is before a presidential election. A small cluster of 30 houses I drive through to get to the lake always has a half-dozen or so signs for the republican candidate; never one for the dem. Not unexpected as Lassen County is about as red a county as you find in California; State of Jefferson country, for sure. This year, not a single sign for the rep candidate. Not one. Very curious.

who would support the short-fingered vulgarian after the latest example of his uncouth ways?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 04:06 PM
Spalding - Eagle Lake

Sorry we missed you. Closed up the cabin on Sept 18th

Maybe we can meet up next spring/summer. You interested in visiting for the opener??
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 04:24 PM

I almost went to Lassen College but then I didn't. Beautiful country and a great post, thanks for sharing.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 07:42 AM

lots going on in that last pic, very cool. Thanks for the up north way report!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 02:39 PM

I would hardly call hauling in what fights like an old submerged pair of coveralls fishing. You just sorta drag them out of the water. They are good eating however. BTW, Sol y Barro is one of our favorite boutique wineries in the Valle de Guadeloupe. There I go, driving the price up.

[Edited on 10-10-2016 by weebray]

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 03:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
what fights like an old submerged pair of coveralls fishing. ...
[Edited on 10-10-2016 by weebray]

Yes, but the taste is superior to the coveralls...:biggrin:

Up here, we are famous for Kamloops Trout...pink flesh without shrimp...

http://www.bcadventure.com/ronnewman/kamloops.phtml

[Edited on 10-10-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.