Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Highway 1 - Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas
prt328
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 08:33 AM
Highway 1 - Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas

From Tijuana to Ensenada the road is in very good shape. Some minor construction on the quota just north of Ensenada but otherwise clear sailing.
The road from Ensenada to Santo Tomas is newly widened and in great shape. But just past Santo Tomas is road widening construction with a 5 mile section and a 2 mile section of dirt. Before and after Cantivina, probably 50 miles of potholes but very passable; just watch out for the big ones. We passed an SCT truck out patching them so who knows how long that will take. Lots of potholes just before Guerrero Negro also.

On the road to Santa Rosalia a lot of the road had been washed out by the hurricane but it was all patched up and in pretty good shape. The rest of the road was in good shape until we got just past Constitucion. They are widening the road and there was a 3 mile section and a 1 mile section of dirt road. Plus some bridge work in Loreto. The worst part of the trip was 9 miles of dirt road just north of La Paz. The road was in terrible condition, very rocky and dusty. From La Paz it is clear sailing again.

Tons of cows along the side of he road, the horses are generally tied to a fence, a few goats and, for the first time, saw a pig in the road!

Happy travels!

[Edited on 10-12-2016 by prt328]
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 08:39 AM

:?:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 08:56 AM

Thanks for the report. I'll be heading south for the winter in a few days, good to know there aren't any major problems.

[Edited on 10-12-2016 by SFandH]
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 08:56 PM
Potholes near Cataviņa

My observations today - north of Cataviņa is fine - many patched potholes but no "gaping holes" in the road. Driving at 55mph was no problem.

South of Cataviņa - first 15km immediately south of town is the worst with many un-repaired potholes. Clears up beginning around km 195 - then again around 220-225km is pretty bad. Further south is "acceptable" to "good".

Happy trails amigos!
dmiller72

[*] posted on 11-14-2016 at 09:24 AM

We plan to tow our camper trailer San Ysidro->Ensenada via cuota and south from there. We haven't done that route since the big slide a few years back, instead opting for Tecate.

I've heard they don't allow trailers to cross at Ysidro, but instead must cross at Otay...is that true? Or can we cross Ysidro with trailer like we used to do?

Sorry, I'm sure this is answered elsewhere--I've looked around and couldn't find recent info.
o3dave
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 09:59 AM

You will have smooth sailing with your trailer crossing at Tecate in my opinion. I crossed last week with mine and it could not have gone better. Noon time seems to always work well. There is road construction on hwy 3 for several miles north of the wineries. But the section north of La Paz is clearly the worst of all. keep your tongue away from your teeth!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.