BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Double Pane Windows Fogging, Alternatives?
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 10:53 AM
Double Pane Windows Fogging, Alternatives?

Some of my double pane Milgard windows have fogging and it's apparently happening to many of my neighbors. I'm buying windows for a casita and hope not to repeat the problem.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives that are less likely to have this problem?
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:25 AM

Milgard has a lifetime warranty to the original owner.
Does that help? How old are your windows?
Mine are 14 years old, no problems.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:26 AM

I'm not sure that the warranty covers windows that were bought in the U.S. and brought to Mexico.

And, seeing how many people have had problems with them, I'm disinclined to buy, install and ship them if I expect to have issues.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:28 AM

I'm one of them that has had the same issues and mine are less than a year old.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:43 AM

Assuming that the windows were manufactured to design specs (probably were) they must survive shipping, handling, and installation with no damage to the seal between the panes.

Depending on exposure, weather, and loading due to stress points, a failure may take months or even years to show up.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:45 AM

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/milgard.html
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 11:54 AM

Well, it looks like I am the lucky one.

I also have a big Pella slider, no problems in 14 years. I doubt you want to pay for Pella windows in Baja.

The no name windows in my Baja house started to have problems after 8 years.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 12:02 PM

Milgard warranty is only good in the U.S. and Canada, in Mexico they will replace the glass, but you have to pay for the glass unit import, transportation, and installation. We just had to replace 14 Milgard windows (in BCS). Six of my neighbors (BCS) are also having problems with Milgard windows fogging, or forming a brown haze between the panes. I've also spoken to friends in the U.S. who are having the same issues, but up there it's not that big a deal because the warranty covers everything.

If you are thinking about buying windows for your house in Baja, I would strongly suggest avoiding Milgard. If you have Milgard in Baja Sur and you have problems, contact Baja Windows in La Paz, they do the warranty replacement. It's not cheap, but less expensive than new windows.

If you have fogged Milgard windows and want new non-milgard glass replacement, there are some companies that make custom glass inserts that are "supposed" to be higher quality. There are several when you search the internet. Problem is you'll have to transport and install them yourself. Watching the guy replace our window inserts though, it's not difficult. There are youtube videos on how to do it. If our replacements go bad, I think that's the route I'll go.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for any other options. Anything has to be better than Milgard.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 12:09 PM

I actually do have a suggestion. When we built out guesthouse in 2004, we used windows from a company called American Window in Apple Valley CA. Those windows are still in great condition. Not as stylish as Milgard (frames don't look as nice, and the latches aren't as good), but functional, and the glass is definitely good quality. Question is: Are they still in business?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 01:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDKzTQzqRv8
----------------------

https://www.nachi.org/condensation-double-paned-windows.htm?...
--------------------------

https://www.google.com.mx/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=SgOGVMThEqaS8Qer...

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 09:26 PM

i had two pella sliding doors installed, by pella, from two bedrooms onto a deck about ten years ago and they are perfect. they were on schedule and their installer was polite, worked clean and cleaned up after themselves.

also had them install a double hung window in our kitchen looking out to the back yard and it's fine.

kind of on the expensive side but we had the money at the time.

i highly recommend them.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 05:18 AM

BigWoo-American Integrity in Apple Valley was used on one of our Navy projects last year at Mugu. Only had a few employees and communication was lacking. We got through it.

We don't use Milgard.

Once they're fogged they're done. Real easy to change out. Need two sided glazing tape (probably white), clear silicone, thick and thin putty knife and razor. Pop stops, cut glazing tape with thin putty knife. Push out glass, reinstall. If I get down that way I can trade you for a few cervezas.

Might be easier to get glass here and bring down. Need exact sizes and overall insulated glass thickness. Makeup helps but guessing it's clear with Low-E. Rough cost is $10 square foot to us (glazing contractor)but local glass shop would probably double that. San Diego prices.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 09:41 AM
This article say's that the Argon gas leak can be fixed

Quote: Originally posted by bajario  
BigWoo-American Integrity in Apple Valley was used on one of our Navy projects last year at Mugu. Only had a few employees and communication was lacking. We got through it.

We don't use Milgard.

Once they're fogged they're done. Real easy to change out. Need two sided glazing tape (probably white), clear silicone, thick and thin putty knife and razor. Pop stops, cut glazing tape with thin putty knife. Push out glass, reinstall. If I get down that way I can trade you for a few cervezas.

Might be easier to get glass here and bring down. Need exact sizes and overall insulated glass thickness. Makeup helps but guessing it's clear with Low-E. Rough cost is $10 square foot to us (glazing contractor)but local glass shop would probably double that. San Diego prices.

If it's on the internet it must be true lolhttp://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/how-to/a10204/7-things-your-windows-are-trying-to-tell-you-16615423/

Bob Durrell
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 01:41 PM

We had to replace two dbl paned windows recently - one at the house and the other on the second floor of the B&B. Hope they last!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 05:04 AM

We had Pella windows in the U.S.. They were definitely quality windows. They were out first choice for Mexico, but unfortunately Pella will only sell through a "qualified installer". Can't just call up and order a batch of windows to transport to Mexico. By the time we dealt with the middle man, it just didn't seem worth the effort and cost.

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
i had two pella sliding doors installed, by pella, from two bedrooms onto a deck about ten years ago and they are perfect. they were on schedule and their installer was polite, worked clean and cleaned up after themselves.

also had them install a double hung window in our kitchen looking out to the back yard and it's fine.

kind of on the expensive side but we had the money at the time.

i highly recommend them.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-15-2016 at 05:30 AM

today they sell pella windows at lowes...that's what we bought

they are the same as the rest in my opinion

http://www.lowes.com/cd_pella+windows+and+doors+at+lowes_131...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 10:32 AM

Just thought I'd bump this post to the top again as a public service announcement to benefit anyone planning a home in Mexico.

I recently replaced 14 Milgard windows that had bad seals, or formed a brown haze between the glass, now I just discovered we have several more failing.

Save yourself a lot of headaches and avoid Milgard windows.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.