Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: San Felipe-area Jeep recovery
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Jeep has been recovered from Coco's and is in my possession. Steve will get it Thursday and trailer it back to the USA.

Thanks for your work, Mark! It looks like Pete will get his pile of Jeep back!

Steve & Lillian

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Jeep has been recovered from Coco's and is in my possession. Steve will get it Thursday and trailer it back to the USA.

Did you recover any missing parts as well? Pay any fees to Coco?

Sure did :) Miraculously the spare tire appeared, don't think anything else did, we will see when we pick it up.....Thank you so much Mark!! We will reimburse you the 300.00 you had to give to Coco.... Steve & I will be heading down there Thurs, looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Steve & Lillian  

Sure did :) Miraculously the spare tire appeared, don't think anything else did, we will see when we pick it up.....Thank you so much Mark!! We will reimburse you the 300.00 you had to give to Coco.... Steve & I will be heading down there Thurs, looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian

$300 is steep but at least the vehicle is intact.
Steve & Lillian

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 07:02 PM

The spare tire miraculously was back in the jeep, but not sure if anything else, will see on Thurs. Yes Had to pay 300.00 to Coco :( Thanks again Mark Steve & I are looking fwd in meeting you :)
Lillian
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 07:33 PM

Lillian

Hey Lillian, I'm curious what CoCo said the $300 was for. Storage or stealing?

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 07:49 PM

I was gonna say this Monday, but this is an interesting thread. :):)

Steve & Lillian

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 08:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by N2Baja  

Lillian

Hey Lillian, I'm curious what CoCo said the $300 was for. Storage or stealing?
For towing it to his place, only he knew about where is was, we left right before dark & went back 1st am. We only saw one car go by and they were 2 American kayakers in a small car. Coco & a friend drove it a bit & dragged it to his camp which proves
the battery was still in the jeep.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-25-2016 at 08:58 PM

It also sounds like Petes heap of a Jeep still runs!:bounce:

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 07:56 AM

As soon as I told Coco I was there for the Jeep he said wait and had his helper roll the spare tire out of his shack. Yes he wanted the $300 for recovery. He was still upset about a conversation that had taken place. I told him I was not involved and just there to get the Jeep. Once he calmed down it was all good.

He was happy to have the Jeep go and assist in the loading. Mostly by telling us how to do it. :) His helper worked with me and Coco ran his quad back and forth to get us some wood blocks. I gave his helper a $20 a bought a couple of beers from Coco.

He said that when he got to the Jeep there was someone else there who was scavenging and took off. That's where the battery went and they dragged the Jeep back with Coco's truck. I am not sure the Jeep could have been driven. Front axle and steering is bent so almost no turning ability. Not a straight body panel left. The aftermarket roll cage worked but I'm not impressed. I don't know how fast the Jeep was going when the accident happened but I don't think the cage would have held up in a high speed or multiple roll over. I'd be interested to know if Pete was wearing the stock 3-point seat belt or the race type harness when the accident happened.

Hoping Pete makes a speedy recovery. He'll have a project waiting for him when he is ready.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:11 AM

As the world turns, it looks like maybe Coco wasn't stealing parts, but keeping them safe.....he is fully aware of the fact that stuff gets stolen from his place when he is away....to the point where he has had to rebuild his place as they have even stolen his wall's plywood.

The $300 is a steep retrieval and storage fee, but as a previous poster said, he will wait to hear the full story before passing judgement. While Coco may not be a saint, I have never previously heard of him being accused of theft.

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:22 AM

As soon as I told Coco I was there for the Jeep he said wait and had his helper roll the spare tire out of his shack. Yes he wanted the $300 for recovery. He was still upset about a conversation that had taken place. I told him I was not involved and just there to get the Jeep. Once he calmed down it was all good.

He was happy to have the Jeep go and assist in the loading. Mostly by telling us how to do it. :) His helper worked with me and Coco ran his quad back and forth to get us some wood blocks. I gave his helper a $20 a bought a couple of beers from Coco.

He said that when he got to the Jeep there was someone else there who was scavenging and took off. That's where the battery went and they dragged the Jeep back with Coco's truck. I am not sure the Jeep could have been driven. Front axle and steering is bent so almost no turning ability. Not a straight body panel left. The aftermarket roll cage worked but I'm not impressed. I don't know how fast the Jeep was going when the accident happened but I don't think the cage would have held up in a high speed or multiple roll over. I'd be interested to know if Pete was wearing the stock 3-point seat belt or the race type harness when the accident happened.

Hoping Pete makes a speedy recovery. He'll have a project waiting for him when he is ready.

this from pete "I am not sure of was I was thrown tall over our front seating area,eithet the seat belt which was working great was not slipped in all of the way of it became defective"

that was from the first page,pete was pretty banged up but sounds like some kind of seat belt failure?
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:39 AM

The Jeep was equipped with the stock 3-point seat belts and 4-point racing type belts. I can see where it would be possible to slip out of the shoulder part of a stock belt. Harder to do that with a race type harness. The cage has been pushed down into the top of the seats and has even deformed the driver headrest. So there may be more to Pete's injuries than just a seatbelt issue.

I wasn't there and don't know all the facts so I am going to stop speculating and posting. I've probably said to much already. The story is someone else's to tell if and when they decide to do so.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:49 AM

Sounds like it went over a lot harder than 30mph. Hope he doesn't have any lasting effects or unseen injuries.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 09:53 AM

The Jeep was equipped with the stock 3-point seat belts and 4-point racing type belts. I can see where it would be possible to slip out of the shoulder part of a stock belt. Harder to do that with a race type harness. The cage has been pushed down into the top of the seats and has even deformed the driver headrest. So there may be more to Pete's injuries than just a seatbelt issue.

I wasn't there and don't know all the facts so I am going to stop speculating and posting. I've probably said to much already. The story is someone else's to tell if and when they decide to do so.

Was it a roll bar or full cage?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 10:22 AM

Stopped at Cocos' Corner once about 10-12 years ago. Turned out he was in Ensenada to see doctor so never met the man. He had a caretaker/buddy watching the place so we dropped off some supplies we had for him.

It is starting to sound to me like Coco's effort to 'recover and safeguard' the wrecked vehicle may have actually saved the owner more then the $300.00 'fee'? How much does one tire/wheel for a Jeep cost? He may have kept the 'desert vultures' from completely stripping every part of any value?

:saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
the 'desert vultures'

happy halloween!

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by mtgoat666]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBreak  
Stopped at Cocos' Corner once about 10-12 years ago. Turned out he was in Ensenada to see doctor so never met the man. He had a caretaker/buddy watching the place so we dropped off some supplies we had for him.

It is starting to sound to me like Coco's effort to 'recover and safeguard' the wrecked vehicle may have actually saved the owner more then the $300.00 'fee'? How much does one tire/wheel for a Jeep cost? He may have kept the 'desert vultures' from completely stripping every part of any value?

Yeah, I hope that is the case. $300 would be a lot if it was just to store a vehicle briefly, but to recover a vehicle in such an isolated area is worth something. Tow trucks cost money to maintain and operate, and although $10/mile is steep for transport in most cases, it doesn't sound like a normal recovery, and I can't think of many options in the area. I recall a friend getting his truck stuck 50 miles away from town in U.S. Nat'l Forest, and I believe he spent over $1k to get it towed out of a ditch.

Sounds like the desert vultures were avoided, now if only the same could be said about the internet ones.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by BajaBreak]

Originally reported a tow truck was on the scene (paid for by insurance). No one is talking about thqat and why it was there? Maybe Coco and the tow truck driver were arguing over the Jeep.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by rts551]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, I hope that is the case. $300 would be a lot if it was just to store a vehicle briefly, but to recover a vehicle in such an isolated area is worth something. Tow trucks cost money to maintain and operate, and although $10/mile is steep for transport in most cases, it doesn't sound like a normal recovery, and I can't think of many options in the area. I recall a friend getting his truck stuck 50 miles away from town in U.S. Nat'l Forest, and I believe he spent over $1k to get it towed out of a ditch.

Sounds like the desert vultures were avoided, now if only the same could be said about the internet ones.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by BajaBreak]

Originally reported a tow truck was on the scene (paid for by insurance). No one is talking about thqat and why it was there? Maybe Coco and the tow truck driver were arguing over the Jeep.

[Edited on 10-26-2016 by rts551]

well the way I understand it coco was under the impression that the jeep had been gifted to him.....prompting the middle of night retrieval, I can imagine the confusion on the part of the tow truck driver.....
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 01:01 PM

Stu & Eric only saw 1 car go by the seen on that road back from Playa Calamujue & they were a couple American kayakers in a small car. (Playa Calamujue had abandant fisher's huts) Eric & Stu told Coco about the accident on their way back to Melanie's & told him that they were coming back for the jeep 1st thing am which they did only to see the jeep gone & dragged to Coco's place. Coco was claiming that Stu told Coco he can have the jeep, which didn't make sense since they told him they were coming back for the jeep the next morning? Coco claims he & a friend drove & dragged the jeep to his place in the middle of the night. Which would of helped if the jeep wasn't tripped, the spare tire & battery were gone as well. Coco claimed him & his friend drove it part of the way so proves the battery was still there. After waiting for 7 hrs for the tow truck to show up, which was included in his ACE Seguros Liability coverage. Tow guy showed up with a beat down regular tow truck coming from Aregro Negro, not a flat bed which I verified several times to them & they didn't even know of a yard in Mexicali to tow it to? So at this point we had to leave the jeep with Coco & told him we were coming back for the jeep. I know he doesn't have much control in his area since he is disabled, so will see what is left. I did see that the jeep was moved to the far side of his property, not next to his building when we left on Friday, October 14th

Above quote shortened from page 3.

Sounds like the insurance company's tow truck driver didn't have the right equipment, and I can see why Coco wouldn't have wanted it to get towed off his property, because he likely wouldn't have been paid for the recovery. Good chance some or all of that Jeep may have never been seen again too, had he let them take it. Sounds like it has all worked out in the end. Seems possible some loose or easily removed parts were taken off so they didn't fall off in transport or get stolen from his lot during the night? Quien sabe.

Wishing Pete a full recovery...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2016 at 01:05 PM

Wishing Pete a full recovery...

Ditto.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.