Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: San Felipe-area Jeep recovery
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-22-2016 at 10:11 PM
Vehicle impound?

I hope you meant vehicle storage area! Impound has such an ugly connotation. You know....investigations, fines, red tape to fight through, or so I have been told!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 03:50 AM

Hello All,

The group was staying at my house when Pete rolled his jeep. I wasn't on the run (was waiting for water delivery at the house). Pete received serious injuries, but it could have been so much worse. From what I understand the jeep is not driveable.

Ken, I'm a new member of JustRuns, and If I can be of any help in recovering the jeep, please let me know. You're welcome to stay at my place while you're down there. Just let me know so I can make arrangements to go with you.

I was told once that of all the things you take with you off road, the best thing you can take is good people. Steve and Lillian went above and beyond in getting Pete across the border to the hospital. Steve and Lillian are Good People!

Thanks also should go to Stu and John and Eric for recovering as much of Pete's belongings and things from the jeep as possible.

I've told Pete we'll get him down to Baja again as soon as he's ready. The accident happened on the second day of the trip, so we didn't get to Matomi or any of the other runs we'd talked about.

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:18 AM

I talked with Steve last night. He has a flatbed trailer and can get the jeep. He just needs to confirm it is still there before making the trip. Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

As I understand it, the driver wanted to start stripping the jeep for payment and Coco wants some cash for storage. Between the two it was more than the group had on them and their first interest would have obviously been getting medical attention for the driver.

I'll make a trip to Coco's in the next couple of days and get some idea of the condition of the jeep. Or if someone drives by before then and can take a look to see if the jeep has been stripped.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

As I understand it, the driver wanted to start stripping the jeep for payment and Coco wants some cash for storage. Between the two it was more than the group had on them and their first interest would have obviously been getting medical attention for the driver.

Understandable that tow truck driver wants cash at time of tow. That's fair.

Coco demanding storage fee up front is crappy. Isn't this the same guy that begs for and gets freebies from all the off-roading coco fan boys? He sounds like a jerk.

[Edited on 10-23-2016 by mtgoat666]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 10:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by N2Baja  

Ken, I'm a new member of JustRuns, and If I can be of any help in recovering the jeep, please let me know. You're welcome to stay at my place while you're down there. Just let me know so I can make arrangements to go with you.

Thank you, N2Baja for the kind invitation to use your home as a potential base of operations. I will be working all week, but I am available on weekends with a holiday weekend coming up in early November for Veterans day.

I am eager to see what Marks status report turns up from Coco's Impound Yard (pictured above). Stay tuned..

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Coco demanding storage fee up front is crappy. Isn't this the same guy that begs for and gets freebies from all the off-roading coco fan boys? He sounds like a jerk.

Goat,
I gotta disagree with you on this one....Coco doesn't beg from people....folks on-line just repeat the casual conversations had when they pass through...and they say what they observe/hear what he needs.

The panty thing can offend some....but he's not running for president....

A handful of years ago I started a thread on Adventure Rider website (moto travelling, etc.....good one) asking the riders to contribute to a fund for a new wheelchair when his second leg was removed.....within a few weeks about $7000 was donated...and forwarded to Coco.....he put the money towards a vehicle as it was more useful to him.....he never asked for the help....it was offered by folks who appreciate him and his spirit.

If he wanted a storage fee, that seems reasonable. :coolup:

Don't believe everything you think....
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Goat,
I gotta disagree with you on this one....Coco doesn't beg from people....folks on-line just repeat the casual conversations had when they pass through...and they say what they observe/hear what he needs.

The panty thing can offend some....but he's not running for president....

A handful of years ago I started a thread on Adventure Rider website (moto travelling, etc.....good one) asking the riders to contribute to a fund for a new wheelchair when his second leg was removed.....within a few weeks about $7000 was donated...and forwarded to Coco.....he put the money towards a vehicle as it was more useful to him.....he never asked for the help....it was offered by folks who appreciate him and his spirit.

If he wanted a storage fee, that seems reasonable. :coolup:

I certainly agree to most of your points.

to ask for storage fees up front, is up for discussion here. Remember he has the whole wreck as collateral, in order to get his storage fee.

Sadly, even if people here do not asked for things, but do not show a real appreciation for help and effort by others - sorry that is my experience
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:23 AM

Seems like an easy retrieval. Load it up on a trailer (make sure you have registration or ownership papers) and take it home....or to a Nomads house in the area.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 11:41 AM

whether you're a coco fan or not......interesting decision to have the jeep towed THERE? :?:
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 12:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
whether you're a coco fan or not......interesting decision to have the jeep towed THERE? :?:

There is more to this story with Coco, but its not my story to tell. Just know that it wasn't Pete's decision, nor the decision of any of the other people with him, to move the jeep to Coco's

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 01:27 PM

Apparently in the heat of the moment there was bit of an argument with Coco and the tow truck driver over $.

He may not directly ask for all the loot hauled down for him by reading the many posts, but sure seems to know how to hint pretty strongly. How much could storage on a few feet of worthless sand be worth, particularly from someone who is in a vulnerable position? Maybe he is offering security with the storage fee?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 01:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  

He may not directly ask for all the loot hauled down for him by reading the many posts, but sure seems to know how to hint pretty strongly. How much could storage on a few feet of worthless sand be worth, particularly from someone who is in a vulnerable position? Maybe he is offering security with the storage fee?

He saw an opportunity. This is how he makes his living. Side note... He told me many years ago the worthless sand is not really his...he is a squatter.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 08:26 PM

That is true he does not own the land. The guy that owns the land owns all the land from Coco's to Bahia Calarmajue, maybe more.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:23 PM

I think that if Steve contacted Paul W, this Jeep recovery would go more easily. I shared Pauls phone number with Lillian via Facebook. I will be at work tomorrow, so I will be unable to check in frequently.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Steve Schlief tried to register but he is having issues.
He and Lillian reached out to me to post this here.

He asked that I post his number and, if anyone is in a position to help, give him a call.(760) 855-8553

Apparrently part of the issue was Coco wanted $300USD and they didn't have that on them after other expenses necessary to get Pete to the border.

The insurance was asking for the tow to Mexicali but, somehow, it ended up at Coco's.

Anyway, there is more to the story but the bottom line is they want to get the jeep home.

Ken,
Your requests are cryptic. What help are you asking for? Suggest you be direct. If you want someone to to go tow it to a particular location in so cal, then say so. If you want money so you can hire a tow truck and pay storage fee, then say so.

$300 storage fee is awfully high for short term. That's maybe about right for an annual storage fee, if secure storage.
Coco sounds like a jerk - after all the freebies he sucks up from you off roaders, he wants storage fees for that pitiful piece of remote desert after someone is injured and has to bug out quick?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2016 at 09:31 PM

To late to call tonight. I will call Steve tomorrow.
Thanks Ken & Frank Got your messages
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 05:52 AM

Good luck, Paul!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 09:07 AM

Word is that Coco lightened the jeep significantly.
They will know to what extent later today.
I won't pass on anything other than facts once I talk with Steve and I get the entire story.
He wants the $300 for dragging it 30 miles there.
Never a dull moment.

A legless vulture, eh?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 09:35 AM

I won't pass on anything other than facts once I talk with Steve and I get the entire story.
Never a dull moment.

thats alot of cat food! :yes:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2016 at 12:09 PM

Never a dull moment.[/rquote

That is criminal.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.